Which spark plugs work best?

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
I think it's finally time to change the plugs and wires on my 98 Cobra. It has 50k miles and I got the cobra with 36k miles and havent changed the plugs or wires since I have owned it and I'm not sure the last time they were changed. I am not running a supercharger/turbo or nitrous. and right now its usually between 90-100 degrees in VA. What would be the best plugs for my cobra? Thanks for any help.

F8L BYT

Established Member
I really liked the NGK tr-55 plugs when I was n/a, now with the nitrous I just went one step colder to the tr-6's

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I was also curious about this. I just bought a 96 cobra with 43,800 miles. I thought about doing a general tune up just because. I've read that the autolite 764's would be ideal

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
ngk br7ef for me :) and for my friends na car we put the tr6 in and it likes them much better than the stupid bosch platinum plus 4 or whatever they were, his top end stuttered like crazy with them

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
The autolite 764 say they are pre-gapped at .054. Is that where it should be gapped at or should it be lower?

uofipilot

Established Member
.054 is what they should be at. However, I would check them. I'm pretty sure the A764s I bought at wally world came out of the package at about .040. Doesnt hurt to make sure theyre properly gapped.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
copper

And always, always check the gap. Plugs come from the factory set at the most common application setting. That isn't always what yours should be set at.

Also the gap can close in shipping depending on if it has a tip protector or not.

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
hey guys this is probaly a dumb question are those autolites 764s better than the factory motocraft ones and also do they sell the autolites at the loal auto parts store or what

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The 764s and the Motorcraft equivilent are the same basically. And most parts stores will have them.

Do not get the OEM platinums, stick with copper.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I just installed my 764's today. I learned how to change them quickly after spending 30 min on 3 of em. Use the spark plug socket (with a grip) for removing, but DO NOT use it for installing. Just use a normal 5/8" socket. Lesson learned. I was cussing quite a bit trying to get the spark plug socket out of the hole while it was gripped on the plug. But now I realized I forgot to put anti-seize on the threads. Got to redo the whole thing again. Dammit!

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I was cussing quite a bit trying to get the spark plug socket out of the hole while it was gripped on the plug.

I just tape the the socket to the extension. It's my dedicated extension and spark plug socket for the car. This is going to sound stupid but do not over tighten the plugs. snug em up and call it a day.

uofipilot

Established Member
I bought a sweet spark plug socket at autozone. Its magnetic, and they got it exactly right. Strong enough to hold the plug (works very well for installing) but not strong enough to separate the socket from the extension. And yeah, with the aluminum heads, anti seize is a very good idea.

greenscobie86

Established Member
thanks for the great tips... These plus should be much easier to change than 2v modular plugs for sure... they're much more accessible...

Users who are viewing this thread