Which soldering iron

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless it is some big repetitive project, the 10$ ones have served me well. Its more about knowing how to use it, and having the correct solder, tools, and holding station. I've even used a torch to do a bit of electronics soldering when a sodler gun/iron couldnt get it done.

cotchnobra

Established Member
Why not? I have a battery powered one from RadioShack that I got for $20. It works awesome and it gets hot in seconds, has a built in light and does jobs relatively easy. I am an engineer major too.

I dont like the battery style for the fact if the thing gets just hot enough to solder and then you get a cold solder joint. Cold solder joints can cause problems and are a pain to diagnose as everything looks ok to the eye. Also engineer major doesn't mean you are an electrician. Are you an electrical engineer and how long have you been doing it because classroom and actual experience are 2 different? I have been a Aircraft Electrician for 12 years and built many harnesses, electrical packages and troubleshot many discrepencies.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Any of you have suggestions for a fine electronics soldering iron?
I need something that can take a very small, sharp tip and get hot enough to melt solder applied by industrial wave soldering.

I've tried a few irons, but none get hot enough.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Why not? I have a battery powered one from RadioShack that I got for $20. It works awesome and it gets hot in seconds, has a built in light and does jobs relatively easy. I am an engineer major too.

+ 1 I have the RadioShack brand wireless as well and I have yet to change the batteries in it. Albeit, my projects are few and far between but require major amounts of soldering. It works great and heats up in just a couple of seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread