Which race series?

David Hester

Established Member
I want a DSR does that count as a cart? Haha
:dancenana:
DavidLocke--800.jpg

Stohr's aint' cheap.
I've lusted over Sport2000 for years. Figure that is as close to a prototype/LMP car I'll ever get.
I started racing with formula Vees and then Formula Fords. They were fairly cheap and easy to maintain.

Last edited:

White01Snake

Shake and Bake!
Established Member
Check out mazdaracers.com. I've been tracking a miata for almost two years. Really fun car and it's cheap. Parts are cheap. Tires are cheap. Same goes for the E30. Also once you start racing TT or SM you can get a Mazda comp account and get parts for really cheap.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
:dancenana:
DavidLocke--800.jpg

Stohr's aint' cheap.
I've lusted over Sport2000 for years. Figure that is as close to a prototype/LMP car I'll ever get.
I started racing with formula Vees and then Formula Fords. They were fairly cheap and easy to maintain.

Only problem other than the high price tag to own a dsr is I don't even know if I would fit in the damn thing!!! I'm 6'4" and about 240 lbs. might be a tight and uncomfortable squeeze.

David Hester

Established Member
^ :lol1:
I'm not that big...so I've been told countless times :rollseyes..but I degress.
I did try on a Swift years ago after they dominated everything. Real tight, even for me, after my old 70's Merlyn, Bobsy, and Caldwell, but I REALLY like open cockpit cars, formula or sports racers.
There are several SM drivers in East Tennessee. They all like the competition-both SCCA and NASA. But, yeah, ALL spec cars aren't created equally.

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
Here's another one....how are the legends car turn outs in your guys regions?I haven't checked my region lately to see how they are doing but I feel like running one, especially if you not a sealed motor through 600 racing....would be a pretty cost effective class. And they are decently quick little hotrods. Quite.....literally.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
You're not going to be competitive right away, so quit worrying about it.

Focus on getting a race car, passing your race school and getting your provisional license.
Make it through the first season without wrecking or wrecking anyone else, develop both the car/driver and learn how to drive at speed on track with other cars all around you.

Yep. Way back when I was racing motorcycles, I built a bike for the class I thought I wanted to race in. Raced one season and found I couldn't build a bike worth a damn, and didn't like that class. But while doing that and learning about racing, I found the class I did like-GP. At the end of the season I bought one of the couple used race bikes from that class, and raced various bikes in that class for 11 seasons.

Just buy a used race car in the classes running near you, be prepared for some wear & tear while you're learning, and go for it. :banana:

Last edited:

ba#97

Established Member
Legends are huge in norcal now that I have looked into it. So just another idea! Its either that or spec miata for me when I get ready to take the leap.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
How are you guys checking Car counts for each series? I have been thinking of going to some "local" events and watching.

White01Snake

Shake and Bake!
Established Member
Yeah man go to some local events and check out the cars you're interested in and ask for a ride a long with someone. Most people at the track days I've been to are really friendly.

ba#97

Established Member
I mean you can check the local regions site and look at race results etc etc. But they are looking at the entry lists because well...they are racing. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread