Which power adder for road racing?

Tyler72

Established Member
So, been playing with the cobra some here lately and its reminded me how much fun forced induction is! So now my wheels are turning in my head & I think I may want to add a blower to the boss!

Question is, I do quite a bit of road racing & even more auto x events... So which route should I go? Car made 414 on a mustang dyno as it (which is around 470 on a dynojet).

I'm thinking of these options:
1. 2.9 Whipple
2. VPM TVS
3. Paxton/Vortech
4. Cobra jet intake/comp cams

Which route would you go? Remember this is a Boss so its got decent internals from the factory. I'm concerned about IAT and detonation obviously, so I was thinking the 2.9 because it will be more efficient under boost and won't heat the air as much... But a Paxton or vortech may be more auto x friendly.

What do you think and why?

BV600

Established Member
I know 2 with prochargers, one with D1SC and the other with P1SC. Both like it just took some getting use to. The one with the D1SC is my old car and he tracked it a lot on the ring in Germany, ended up blowing the motor (not boost, power, cooling related). He did tell me he would hit some high temps with the car and ended up swapping radiators. Im not sure how much power it was making it was email tuned, it went 202 on the autobahn.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Get the Cobra jet intake or better yet mmr's new intake for the 5.0, with cams for high rpm hp with less a concern for heating issues. Blowers make heat especially when stressed and your roots blowers are more likely to heat soak causing loss of power. Of the blowers I'd say paxton/ vortech they have the biggest intercooler and iat's will be in an acceptable range. Good luck!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ner-Intake-for-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-BOSS-F150

Last edited:

by9468840

Established Member
Procharged Iat2 reaching 202 on the autobahn? Makes me wonder if it has anything to do with that awkward air intake placed right above the exhaust headers!:)

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
A centri is going to be easier to control, and produces far less IAT's.. It's what Griggs Racing uses on there road racing cars, so it's good enough for me. :)

figit

Established Member
Not sure if your open to turbochargers but a proper setup would be far less susceptible to heat-soak in a road-race/hpde environment. Check out the armageddon twin-turbo setup, here is a video of the kit on a BOSS [video=youtube;r0hustP3HE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0hustP3HE4[/video]

Fredxin

Established Member
Procharger P1SC gets my vote and is what I am gonna put on my 14 GT later this year. I think Whipple gives you way too much torque low end when you use at the track. That is a little hard on cornering. Because you want slow in fast out and as smooth as possible for our car. Just my 2 cents.

CSG

Established Member
Not sure if your open to turbochargers but a proper setup would be far less susceptible to heat-soak in a road-race/hpde environment. Check out the armageddon twin-turbo setup, here is a video of the kit on a BOSS [video=youtube;r0hustP3HE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0hustP3HE4[/video]

I have watched a lot of guys try to use turbo setups for road racing on cars that did not come with turbos with very few positive results.

Mike Rousch

Established Member
I would say Cobrajet intake and the comp cams. Blowers make way to much heat, and your adding a bit of weight to the nose of the car. Just my opinion!

Tyler72

Established Member
These are all the same thoughts I had lol.

I'm not really open to turbos or a Procharger system... A QUALITY turbo system (Armageddon) will be $10,000 by the time you're all said and done. Plus, I already have an exhaust system that I REALLY like and don't want to change. I"m against the procharger because of where they draw in air. I am not against them for any other reason, my Cobra has a D1SC on it and its awesome. Just don't like the layout of their system for the S197 cars. So if I went centri, it would be Paxton/Vortech. The benefit to that is that they are also the cheapest and probably the best bang for the buck. A cobra jet intake, SCJ TB, and the cams is basically $3500 after you buy all the nick-nacks needed to install it. So that's why I have a problem with that. The real issue is that I've never driven a car with those mods. If I got to drive one I might decide that it was "enough". I like the Whipple kits because its what Ford Racing uses, and the fit and quality is top notch. Everything in the kit appears factory. The paxton/vortech kits aren't BAD, but they definitely aren't as clean as the Whipple stuff. I guess deep down I really want to run a 2.9 on about 15 lbs but I don't know how IAT's would do there. I think the bigger blower would produce less heat, but how much less I'm not sure.

When I track the car, they are generally about 20 minute sessions...

I'll get plenty of opportunity to look at all kinds of cars next week I'm sure. I'm headed to Charlotte for the 50th!

CSG

Established Member
You have to ask yourself are you trying to have fun or are you trying to be the fastest. I have won a lot of races and was #1 qualifier numerous times with a NA setup but I still had more fun driving my blower car. I believe that with a Boss with a Paxton/Vortech and a high quality square tire package I could probably come real close to matching my track record that was with my NA race car. The boss would leave a bigger smile on my face as well.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the centri will def be easier to control on the road course, the Paxton and vortech's will be cooler, especially the Paxton's larger head unit. The stock air box would work perfect for the road course setup an still pull in fresh air.

let me know if we can hlep

Boss3oh2

Has anyone in here actually tested a blower on a road course? Centri or PD? With the right cooling mods the PD blower would be the way to go and those saying the centri is easier to control obviously haven't tested a blower on a road course. A turbo however, is not very easy to control and downshifting is a bit of a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread