Which orbital buffer should I buy? PC or Flex?

Which orbital buffer should I go with?

• Porter Cable 7424

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • FLEX

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Other brands, please list

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FloridaSvt07

Established Member
Im looking to buy a orbital buffer within the next few weeks and wanted to get some opinions on them. I heard good things about the Porter Cable and the FLEX. Which would you recommend? This will be my first buffing the car. I heard both are safe but, if you know different let me know :thumbsup:. I also saw the video of the comparison between the two and the flex did a better job in a shorter time as well. All opinions welcomed! Thanks

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
You can do more correction work with a Flex, it's a more powerful machine. Both are easy to use. I have a rotary and still have and use my PC.

It all depends on how much you will use it. The PC is more than perfect for a weekend warrior and the Flex is better suited for detailers, who do more correction work.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
I have a PC and it works great, however you can save alot of time by using the flex, however like Mixxer said, start with the PC and move up. The nice thing about the PC is that you really have to try to mess up your paint in order to make it worse than before, and its cheaper.

mystic04

Established Member
First time out i go for the Pc after your used to that either a flex or a rotary. I now have all 3 and still use my pc for polishing. i'll never dump my pc till it burns out on me.even then i go and get another.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Other than the vibration; I have no issue with the PC. Though if you take the handle off and hold it by the head, it is greatly reduced.

If I had to do it again; I'd probably try the Flex; but the PC has been around forever; is completely safe and effective and basically idiot proof as far as its polishing action goes.

FloridaSvt07

Established Member
Well it looks about even on the two. Is the FLEX just as safe as the PC? It will be my first time but I want quality. FLEX breaks down the polish much quicker which is also a plus. I don't want to regret getting the pc simply just because of the cheaper cost.

Banned
Just spend the $ on a Griots rotary. Get the orange and red pads along with the machine polish, best of show wax and the proper towels. Call and speak with a tech too. Alot of guys say it's over priced garbage. It's just not well known.

Avenger

Established Member
Been using my PC for a few years and I love it. It obviously requires a lot of time when doing major work but it still gets the job done with enough patience.

2004 Culebra

Established Member
Great thread and I like all the responses. I am in the same boat and have been debating on which one to buy... For now I am still going to go with the PC

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I have a pc and with the proper product it can and will be good enough for any do it yourselfer. My car had a lot of fine scrathes from dust and what not, once I hit it with the pc it looked like glass, I've even received compliments on the paint at car shows from people.

Here are a couple pics after the pc:

P1010934.jpg

P1010931.jpg

I have some others of an 11 year old car I did with not so good paint.

Last edited:

dec322

Established Member
I just bought the pc. If I don't like it then I can sell it and get pretty close to the original price...on ebay. Then I can use the money to upgrade or buy something else.

FloridaSvt07

Established Member
dec322, if you use the orbital anytime soon, let me know how it turns out. Im leaning towards the FLEX because it is still safe but also more aggressive. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

dec322

Established Member
dec322, if you use the orbital anytime soon, let me know how it turns out. Im leaning towards the FLEX because it is still safe but also more aggressive. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

I'm hoping that I can use it this weekend (weather permitting). I'm going to take some good before and after pictures and maybe get a few pics of the pc in action. I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread