Which oil

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Time to change the oil.. first time since ive gotten the car.. guy before sed 10w40 or some shit like that...car has 70k on it.. im wanna switch to a synthetic 5w30.. which brand is BEsT?!?! :)

Please list some opinions.. thanks again!

:beer:

Wildpony

Established Member
I'll probably get "flamed" for this but I take mine to Wallmart & have it done. For any of the synthetics they sell it is around $26-$27 for the base service. I have them upgrade the filter to the Fram PH-2 . I don't have access to a garage so this is my best option. BTW -I do know how to change it but they frown on doing it in the parking lot at my Apt. :shrug: Oh yeah I use Mobil I also.

Last edited:

96vert

Established Member
Mobil 1 5w30 w/ a purolater pure1 filter here. K&N and Mobil1 filters are supposed to be good too, but I've heard bad things about frams (maybe it's just the bottom of the line frams that are bad?)

jmaton

Originally posted by 96vert
Mobil 1 5w30 w/ a purolater pure1 filter here. K&N and Mobil1 filters are supposed to be good too, but I've heard bad things about frams (maybe it's just the bottom of the line frams that are bad?)

Check this site:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

This guy thinks the Frams are shit, too. Personally I use Puraltor filters whenever I can, though I let a shop change the oil last time (I was just too busy) and they used a Motorcraft filter.

On a side note, I called SVT (1-800-FORD-SVT) and asked them about oil recommendations. The guy actually said that they don't recommend synthetic oil because they don't test with it. Hmm... I would think any automotive guy worth his wrench would recommend full synthetic. I understand the properties of regular oil and its benefits in an older engine (helps to plug small leaks and such), but for a new car (well, over 3k miles or whatever the changeover point is) why wouldn't you recommend full synthetic??

RvenomR

Established Member
I HAVE BEEN TOLD (BY A CO-WORKER) THAT SEMA CLASSIFIES FULL SYNTHETIC @ 2% (2% SYTHETIC 98% WHATEVA'S)
AS AN EXAMPLE AMSOIL LABELS THERE PRODUCT AT 100%. NEEDLESS TO SAY MY 98' COBRA USES AMSOIL AND AMSOIL FILTER.

LATER

94svt5.0

Established Member
I use Castrol semi-synthetic 10w-30. Just change it out in the parking lot of the apt building. I was useing full synthetic but, my car was useing a quart between oil changes so I switched to semi. Now with 80k miles it does not use a drop between oil changes. Also, I have heard the synthetic can cause oil leaks around seals because of its smaller molecular structure, hence why my car would burn it.

Ginsu

Established Member
RvenomR, if you would remember to turn off your cap locks when you post a reply it would be appreciated. It is concidered bad internet ediquit (sp), because it is percieved as shouting.

SFuller

I've been using Mobil One in my car since I bought it with 15000 miles on it. It now has about 51000 on it and I haven't had any problems. I use the Motorcraft FL-820S filter on my car. I've been happy with the results over 3 years of opentracking and autocrossing. No matter what oil you chose to use, just make sure that you use the proper weight, and change it at the proper interval and you should be fine.

66GT350

Established Member
Being a newbie I guess I'll swim against the tide here. Synthetic - use nothing else!! Brand, I use Royal Purple in everything I own. Let me tell you, earlier this year I pulled the GT40 heads of the FRPP 302 in my GT350. I was AMAZED at the seemingly lack of wear anywhere in the motor. Everything looked brand new. Plus, based on Dyno data, I picked up 4 RWHP when I switched to synthetic and I run about 10 degrees cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread