Which Mustang $35k Budget

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Looks like most of y'all overlooked the part where he said resale value is a factor. Some of you completely ignored the thread title where he specifically said he's looking for a Mustang.

OP, if Mustang, resale value, and modern day amenities are what you're wanting in your price range, your list can be broken down to the '11/'12 GT500 and the '12/'13 Boss 302 (Laguna Seca). Only a fool would pay $35K for an '03/'04 Cobra with its deplorable interior and outmoded infotainment. Also, like mentioned, those things are being passed around like $2 whores during the Vietnam conflict. They've been pulled apart and put back to stock so many times, I wouldn't touch one at any price.

Don't know why people are recommending Corvettes when you're asking for Mustangs. Two completely different cars and driving experiences. Also, resale-wise, Corvettes lose value like old men lose hair follicles. The $2 whore analogy also applies to Z06s. I wouldn't touch one unless it's straight off the assembly line.

On the Mustang GT front, if you pushed one over the side of the Grand Canyon, it's resale value would hit the bottom before the car does. That said, if you want the absolute latest and greatest, an S550 GT for $35K would be the way to go. Just realize that you're throwing maybe 30% of that money in the trashcan as soon as you roll off the lot.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
OP, if Mustang, resale value, and modern day amenities are what you're wanting in your price range, your list can be broken down to the '11/'12 GT500 and the '12/'13 Boss 302 (Laguna Seca). Only a fool would pay $35K for an '03/'04 Cobra with its deplorable interior and outmoded infotainment.

On the Mustang GT front, if you pushed one over the side of the Grand Canyon, it's resale value would hit the bottom before the car does. That said, if you want the absolute latest and greatest, an S550 GT for $35K would be the way to go. Just realize that you're throwing maybe 30% of that money in the trashcan as soon as you roll off the lot.

Double Din radios have come a long way in the past decade. You can get a aftermarket touchscreen/nav/sirius/siri radio for less than $1K.

A tune only A6 mustang GT will give any pre 13GT500 a run for it's money through the 1/4. The revised Coyote is a hell of a motor. I'll go out on a limb and say the 18 GT A10 will best most stock pre 13 1/4 times.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
OP says the 00 cobra R was the best mustang he ever rode in but list the GT500 as his #1 choice. Which are literally polar opposites. One is track ready NA screamer while the other is a pig iron block, front heavy drag queen with tractor like handling.

the only logical choice is a boss 302.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I vote GT500. Can't get much more iconic. Any regular GT item will unfortunately be sad in a few years due to depreciation.

Foxes are great, and can hold their value when done right, but it'll be a big upfront expense in a relatively old car.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
OP says the 00 cobra R was the best mustang he ever rode in but list the GT500 as his #1 choice. Which are literally polar opposites. One is track ready NA screamer while the other is a pig iron block, front heavy drag queen with tractor like handling.

the only logical choice is a boss 302.

I don't know about all that. If I'm not mistaken, stock for stock, the GT500 still puts up better track times than the '00R. As great as it may have been, the '00R is still an SN95 car. Not a stellar chassis by any stretch of the imagination. Car and Driver pitted the iron block 2010 GT500 against a C6 Grand Sport, and the GT500 performed admirably. That was still with the crap suspension from the '07 - '10 GT500. The '11+ has a better suspension in base form and SVTPP. They also have aluminum blocks, not iron.

Black2010

Established Member
Looks like most of y'all overlooked the part where he said resale value is a factor. Some of you completely ignored the thread title where he specifically said he's looking for a Mustang.

OP, if Mustang, resale value, and modern day amenities are what you're wanting in your price range, your list can be broken down to the '11/'12 GT500 and the '12/'13 Boss 302 (Laguna Seca). Only a fool would pay $35K for an '03/'04 Cobra with its deplorable interior and outmoded infotainment. Also, like mentioned, those things are being passed around like $2 whores during the Vietnam conflict. They've been pulled apart and put back to stock so many times, I wouldn't touch one at any price.

On a pretty high horse here to be ignorant about the 03/04 Cobra's value, aren't you? $35K budget doesn't mean $35K has to be paid for something. A budget is a max, not the min of a purchase. If you thought he had to spend the full $35K then that's on you.

I paid $27K for my cobra 7 years ago and could easily sell it for $25-$26K today. How's that for VALUE. Good luck doing that with an 11/12 GT500 after 7 years of ownership (losing less than 10%).

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
On a pretty high horse here to be ignorant about the 03/04 Cobra's value, aren't you? $35K budget doesn't mean $35K has to be paid for something. A budget is a max, not the min of a purchase. If you thought he had to spend the full $35K then that's on you.

I paid $27K for my cobra 7 years ago and could easily sell it for $25-$26K today. How's that for VALUE. Good luck doing that with an 11/12 GT500 after 7 years of ownership (losing less than 10%).

If y'all were crazy enough to spend that kind of money on a whored out Cobra, that's on you and the john who bought it behind you. I didn't say he had to spend the full $35K. I said only a fool would spend $30K+ for an '03/'04 Cobra. That statement is true when there are much, MUCH better options out there for the same money, even in the Mustang family.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I don't know about all that. If I'm not mistaken, stock for stock, the GT500 still puts up better track times than the '00R. As great as it may have been, the '00R is still an SN95 car. Not a stellar chassis by any stretch of the imagination. Car and Driver pitted the iron block 2010 GT500 against a C6 Grand Sport, and the GT500 performed admirably. That was still with the crap suspension from the '07 - '10 GT500. The '11+ has a better suspension in base form and SVTPP. They also have aluminum blocks, not iron.

track times can be deceiving when there's a 120hp gap between the 2. Regardless, iron block GT500s have never been known for their handling prowess.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
track times can be deceiving when there's a 120hp gap between the 2. Regardless, iron block GT500s have never been known for their handling prowess.

Correct, but at OP's budget, he wouldn't be looking at an iron block GT500. Also, look at the lateral G figures for each and the figure-8, although they were still doing the slalom test back when the '03/'04 Cobra was new.

termoil78

Established Member
2012 GT500, I had a S550, not a bad car, but will never be a Shelby and will not hold its value as well and you will get tired of seeing that everyone has one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
2012 GT500, I had a S550, not a bad car, but will never be a Shelby and will not hold its value as well and you will get tired of seeing that everyone has one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly...think you definitely get a little more exclusivity with the 500.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
Well I've owned many of the cars on your list. 2 GT500s 2007/2014. 2013 Boss, 3 terminators, Roush RS3, 2016 GT350, fox bodies. The only car in my stable right now is my 03 terminator. Each of the cars I owned were amazing in different ways, it just depends on what fits you the best. I will more than likely add another 13 Boss in the future along with my 03 Cobra. Both cars were only 2 years in production and both individually set up where we are at today in performance. Just my 2cents here but these 2 cars will be talked about for decades to come. A basic GT is just that.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
A 35k notch, i can’t imagine how awesome that would be!

If i could get over the interior, i’d love to have a termi though too.

Its hard for me to ignore the low entry cost of the S197/S550 GT...add forced induction of choice, make it yours. But you HAD to go and mention resale value didn’t ya lol.

Ill be tuning in to see what you do, if i end up selling my 350 i will be around this range and something i can tinker with...good luck!

Last edited:

Duecestang

Established Member
Just find a stock 11 or 12 gt500 one owner low miles do nothing to it and just drive it

Users who are viewing this thread