which motor stock for stock can handle more power?

badjuicedgt

Established Member
Ok so I have been toying with the idea of either buying an 07 gt500 or trading my 03 for a gt500, but I started to wonder which motor is stronger and can handle more power before it dies. So I see a lot of the 03-04 cobra motors pushing 7-8-900 horse and even more. Can the 07-09 gt500 motor handle the same amount of power or are the internals not as strong. I'm thinking I may just start putting some money back and just buy a gt500 so I can keep my 03 because the 03 just draws so much attention whether your at the track or at a show or just driving around people always stop and comment. Then I look at the amount of room I have and I really don't have the room for another car but that's what they build storage facilities for right. So whats the answer which motor is better and will hold up to more power before it grenades itself. Then another question what about the 13-14 gt500 motor will it hold up to more power or are you already pushing the breaking point.

I am hoping over the winter to get the fuel system put on the cobra but haven't decided who to go with, if I go with fore or if I go with lethal. If anyone has any other brands to look at I'm all ears. Who will give the best discount on a kit can anyone on here give a discount or am I dreaming, and is the lethal budget kit worth it or will I end up adding more parts to it and then have more into it than the next level kit. Thanks guys

hotcobra03

Established Member
Im no expert..but newest cobra most likely would be best..

I would go into their section and see how they feel..

GodStang

Established Member
Heads, cams, big TS will get you 700-800 on an 03-04. Heads, cams, big blower on a GT500 has continully been over 1000rwhp and have seen some over 1100rwhp. 1000rwhp GT500s are more common than 800rwhp Terminators. This is for Twin Screws. As for as Tubos I am not sure.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
^ that's more power limitations based on displacement.

The Cobra rods are better then the GT500 rods. But pistons are going to limit you in the Cobra. GT500's TR6060 is also stronger.

If your going max power/speed, I would go turbo Cobra for the cost difference of a Cobra and GT500.

onefastcar

Established Member
I made 730 on stocklong block 04 cobra with a 2.3 tvs now I am doing a built motor up the compression on the 4.6 built heads same blower will be 750 +on 93 and more than that on race gas

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
You will get many differing stories of "I made X power" in my Cobra or Shelby. What you probably won't hear is long-term survivability or longevity. You can push both platforms to their ragged edge and get some good numbers, but you might end up with a damaged motor (or cats) before too long.

The 4.6 has stronger internals, but the 5.4/5.8 has bigger displacement and is a little newer. In my opinion, both are quite capable. If you have the means and the space, go for both.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Flip a coin lol, my 08 GT500 made great power and my 04 cobra makes great power. Personally I think the 03/04 cobra engine is better and strong than the 07/10 GT500 5.4 engine. But that's just me. Opinions will vary

modFTW

Established Member
You know this has always been a discussion but it always comes down to one question...How long do you want it to last??
There is a physical limit to both motors. You can make 7-800wrhp on a healthy termi motor but how long will it last? same as for 07-12GT500 5.4L I personally will never push a motor to catastrophic failure. its cheaper to do it right than the grenade a rod and ruin your block, oil pump, crank and etc...
Just do it right one time and make as much power as your wallet can handle!!!

Users who are viewing this thread