Which Lightning to get?

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Hey guys,

Been a Cobra guy the past 6 years, and now I've decided to move on to the big L.. I'm 6'5" 285lbs, the more I ride/drive these trucks, the more I love them. They are comfortable for my size, and they have balls to boot.

So my question is, from the 99-04, Which would be your choice of truck to get if they were all evenly matched. I'm looking for a stock truck with low miles and in almost perfect condition, preferably Sonic blue.

So fill me in, what's the goods and bads of these trucks. Limitations? Things to look out for? max power on the stock bottem ends? Costs to modify?

Thanks in advance.

bwkelley76

bwkelley76
Established Member
Be Careful!!

Be careful, and follow this advice and you will be ok. I learned the hard way. You want a 2003 and newer due to the 2001 and older having only 4 threads holding in the spark plugs, and they fixed it on 2003 with better heads with 8 threads. Its pretty much GUARANTEED that the truck has or will have a plug pop out on the 2002 and older trucks. 99-2000 trucks had intercooler leaking problems which blew the motor in some cases, they had smaller induction systems and their tuning wasn't as good. They also have 355 gears instead of 373's and a different driveshaft.
I had a 2001 with spark plug problems and now I am glad to have my 2004 with 15k miles on the clock, and the motor had never been modified or touched when I got it. I know that the 2 blue ones were harder to find, and one of the blues was only around for a year, not sure which.
As far as stock longblock and power, I've heard that the stock bottom end can handle at the flywheel about 500 HP and 600 lb/ft torque, but ONLY if its tuned to NOT DETONATE. The stock rods suck beyond that point and will shatter.
A few more things, you will find that the 2003 and newer rear springs sit about 2" higher due to a payload change by Ford, so I would get 2001 and older rear springs if you can find a set. I got lucky and nabbed the ones off of my old 2001 and swapped them as part of the trade-in deal. Anyhow stay away from modded trucks PERIOD, you never know what has been done or if they did it right. These trucks are GREAT but they arent that forgiving if tuned wrong with mods. Good luck, and sorry such a long post! Brandon K.

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Wow.. Awesome post Brandon, thanks! I had no idea about the spark plugs with the 01's, so that will be a big factor in my decision. As for the tune, no worries, I know a thing or two about tuning ;)

Chris - What's up! Keep this on the D/L until it actually happens. I sold the Cobra about 2 months ago and now I'm gettin rid of the P/S F250 in favor of the L.. I need a damn toy, can't live without it, and the bike just isn't cuttin it.

Thanks again..

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Chris- I blew out a plug on the way to LVD 2 years ago. It blew out getting off the exit ramp in New Lebanon. Yeah, you should be okay with the tuning right? If you had any questions and wanted to give me a shout you know where to find me.

2001_lightning

Check Me Out
Established Member
Chris95SVT said:
Wow.. Awesome post Brandon, thanks! I had no idea about the spark plugs with the 01's, so that will be a big factor in my decision. As for the tune, no worries, I know a thing or two about tuning ;)

Chris - What's up! Keep this on the D/L until it actually happens. I sold the Cobra about 2 months ago and now I'm gettin rid of the P/S F250 in favor of the L.. I need a damn toy, can't live without it, and the bike just isn't cuttin it.

Thanks again..

if you are going to change the pulley you have to change the spark plugs anyway.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
It says it ended with buy-it-now...the guy said his reserve was 22,000. Some guys just need to get rid of them.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Here's a 10 Second L on this site for $22,700. http://67.15.62.79/forums/showthread.php?t=236029

They really aren't that high right now. Chris, I have a buddy with a low mileage super clean Black '01 that will be coming up for sale shortly. It has some simple mods and made real good power on the dyno. It also has 03+ up heads done by Enfield Ford. If you want I can put you in touch with him. He's in Willington and I'm not sure what he's looking to get.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
This time last year guys were posting pics of BRAND NEW Lightnings on Dealer lots for $27-28K. I'd say someone got a good deal, but I wouldn't call it a huge steal.

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Here's a 10 Second L on this site for $22,700. http://67.15.62.79/forums/showthread.php?t=236029

They really aren't that high right now. Chris, I have a buddy with a low mileage super clean Black '01 that will be coming up for sale shortly. It has some simple mods and made real good power on the dyno. It also has 03+ up heads done by Enfield Ford. If you want I can put you in touch with him. He's in Willington and I'm not sure what he's looking to get.

Thanks man, but I'm getting a Sonic Blue one, it's the color that needs to be in my garage.

203Cree

Established Member
Built Sonic Blue

Absolutely gorgeous truck, and it's on your coast. It's not stock, but you need to ask yourself how long you'd keep it that way anyway. Myself, I'd rather build one up on my own, as that's what is enjoyable to me, but if you think that you might go all out, then one of the built one's that're floating around on the boards might be the way to go, as most of them are priced waaayyy below what they're actually worth. Just food for thought.

Rob

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Be brave and buy a high mileage 1999. Like mine. 98,000+ miles and still smoking the Toyos. LOL. Just kidding ya. Maybe my truck's a freak of nature, but I haven't had any plug problems other than changing the damned things. Intercooler recall was done shortly after I bought the truck. Only took a couple of hours and it was FREE of charge. Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

20hp difference from 99-00 to 01+, big friggin' deal. A minor mod or two can cure that ill.

Someone posted the other day that the 99-00 Lightnings have somewhat stronger rods than the 01+ Lightnings due to Ford changing the manufacturer of the rods in 01. Not sure if this is true, but someone on here said it so... :shrug: Has anyone actually done a poll as to which year models have tossed the most rods?

Users who are viewing this thread