which is better to do? Straight Axle or Hard launch kit for 03 cobra

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
well half the people here are going to say solid axle but i love my irs sooooo if you want to stay irs here ya go
i say do the hard launch bar & these links

Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix Subframe System for the 2003, 2004 Supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra

Full Tilt Boogie Racing

there`s 2 company`s that do diff. covers for IRS cars FORE pres. & ( cant think of the other name

here`s some good springs too

H&R 03-04 Cobra Sport Spring Set [51659] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

i like corners my self i drag race my cobra just about every weekend. like i said i like to do more things like open track racing & auto-x

i would rather take a open track setup to the strip vs taking a drag race setup & do some open track with it !!!

Last edited:

03_Cobra_Coy

AWESOMENESS
Established Member
how Difficult is it to install this . im looking to put lowering springs on it to. put im deployed right now. so this isnt going to be for at least 6 more months if its easier to install a stright axle. i really dont race mine unless a douchebag EVO or Subaru want to mess with me then ill put him in his place.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
its pretty straight forward i did it @ my house with a couple friends now the full tilt boogie kit takes a whole weekend to do & the directions are very detailed so it helps out alot

How To Install An H & R Mustang Race Spring (1999-2004 Cobra) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com

^^^
directions to dropping a I.R.S. out of the cobra

your going to spend more money swapping to a solid axle than if you did the FULL TILT kit

but it needs subframe connectors no matter what type of rear end you do just so you know !

things you will need to swap rear ends

a COMPLETE solid axle ( 8.8 out of a 99-04 mustang )
one of these
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7652
complete set of upper & lower control arms
abs sensors from a solid axle car
mach 1/ GT style cat back ( a.k.a. S.R.A. CAT BACK )

i think i`m forgeting something ?

Last edited:

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
also there is guys cutting 60` time just as good as solid axle guys i`ve have a BUNCH of diffrent mustangs over the yrs & i just love the way a proper setup irs drives & handles espcially on the street over a SRA

i see your in clarksville so since your close i know me & some people from my club would be willing to help out on the install of whatever you are doing

Last edited:

03_Cobra_Coy

AWESOMENESS
Established Member
Alright I appreciate it. Like I said I’ve only had it for 8 months it does wheel hop and one of my buddies has a kit on his rear end and said i should get one of those kits. Then I thought about a straight axle ill probably just go with the kit cause it’s cheaper and I don’t really want to go in and start changing rear ends if I don’t know what I’m doing.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
im new to the site.
ive had my cobra for about 8 months

my question is would it be better to just but the straight axle on or should i got the cheap route and put a hard launch kit on it
Performance parts and accessories for the 2003, 2004 Supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra

any response on this matter would be great thanks

Seeing you are fairly new to the Cobra and IRS you may want to read this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystery-cobra-independent-rear-suspension.html

And this:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions

These will help you familiarize yourself with the Cobra/Terminator/IRS/SN-95 chassis.

If your main focus is going straight on a drag strip, a SRA will serve you well. But if you spend a majority of your time driving on the street and you want a comfortable ride with improved handling, a modified IRS is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

03_Cobra_Coy

AWESOMENESS
Established Member
Seeing you are fairly new to the Cobra and IRS you may want to read this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystery-cobra-independent-rear-suspension.html

And this:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions

These will help you familiarize yourself with the Cobra/Terminator/IRS/SN-95 chassis.

If your main focus is going straight on a drag strip, a SRA will serve you well. But if you spend a majority of your time driving on the street and you want a comfortable ride with improved handling, a modified IRS is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this really helped out a lot. I’m just going to leave the IRS on and put the kit on with the lowering springs. I should be alright with that right? I got buddies up where I live that have done it before I might get him to help me out. I’m happy I read that because I’ve only raced my car once at the track and it wheel hopped badly and I thought I broke it ha. But I still beat the Corvette. But do you know the best kit out there for it?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks, this really helped out a lot. I’m just going to leave the IRS on and put the kit on with the lowering springs. I should be alright with that right?

Yes, you will be alright with the kit.

I got buddies up where I live that have done it before I might get him to help me out.

Any sort of assistance you can get will help tremendously.

But do you know the best kit out there for it?

Um............ yes, as a matter of fact I do! ;-) You were ON our site that sells the finest IRS bushing kit available on the market today!

Full Tilt Boogie Racing

Maybe you missed the order page:

Full Tilt Boogie Racing Shopping Cart

Let me know if you have any questions!

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I love my IRS and the way it feels on the street. Real consistant at track. I usually average 1.60 with occasional high 1.5 with my power(600rwhp) at full weight. Now saying this i watched a guy with same power and slightly lighter with a solid bust mid to high 1.4's 60' all day long and run similar et and mph than me. So i'm in process of building a solid. Hoping to knock a couple thenths off my et with it.

Users who are viewing this thread