Which inlet tube????

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I did a search on CAI's but didn't really see anything interesting. I am looking mainly to replace the air inlet tube on my 96 as it is pretty grimey. I am detailing the engine but can't get the rubberized plastic tube to come clean. So looking for suggetstions for replacement. Not really trying to to the whole CAI in the fender deal as I am aware of the air flow issues I am however not opposed to an RAI. I am mainly wanting to replace the tube for visual purposes. I am considering just getting an OEM replacement piece. Or maybe a BBK piece. I had a C&L on my 97 and wasn't really impressed with fit or how hot the pipe got to the touch so I assume IAT's are higher. I read in another post about the BBK not getting to hot. I am not wanting to go without the STB so the JLT is obviously out. I am not opposed to something that improves performance but having had a few I never really noticed a big difference in the feel. Just want something that looks better with the hood up. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
why don't you just prep and paint the one you have. as long as it isn't damaged it would look like a factory peice and it would only cost you like $7. just a thought.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
airflow issues of the fender kit?...the jlt fender kit makes more power than the rai kit...it keeps it in the fender where the air is cooler then directly under the hood...if you are looking for something shiny the bbk piece is very nice...however the jlt one out performs it somewhat...IMO those are the two best options for power and looks the jlt having more power the bbk looking a lot nicer

SN_95

this hobby cost too much
Established Member
i have the C&L on my car. I do not have anycomplaints with it. Yes the outside will get hot. But, did you ever pull it off while hot and feel the inside? Due to it being aluminum it displaces alot of heat fast. Therefore it never gets hot on the inside. Just saying.

oh yeah, BBK CAI SUCKS. it heat soaks worse than any other cai. not worth a pack of gum and a shiny quarter.

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
the bbk looks really nice though. whats the horse power difference? i have the k&n already.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
I second the C&L. Looks nicer and has more of a stock feel. Mine is powder coated. You can get the C&L powder Coated for even better heat protection.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW HOT THE TUBE GETS

The only part that matters is that it draws cold air from the fenderwhell and not from the engine bay..

There is no possible way that the minute amount of surface area in the inlet tube can transfer any heat to the 500+ cubic feat of air that moves thru it every minute.

With that said, I'd go JLT myself..

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i took mine off for a while and couldn't tell a difference but i just use it to joy ride. i need one that fits under definately. it took me a whole day to polish it so damn taking it off.

mdoan

Established Member
the bbk looks really nice though. whats the horse power difference? i have the k&n already.

BBK sucks ass. Not only could you fry an egg on it, the rubber seal at the TB essentially melted through, letting in unfiltered/unmetered air. Just put the stock back on and couldn't be happier.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if you set up your suspension right you wont need the STB bar, I took mine off a few months ago to do work and havent put it back on and I cannot tell a difference, If i road race it will go back on but for the street and for the dragstrip it seems fine and saves some weight off the front end

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
if you set up your suspension right you wont need the STB bar, I took mine off a few months ago to do work and havent put it back on and I cannot tell a difference, If i road race it will go back on but for the street and for the dragstrip it seems fine and saves some weight off the front end

When you put your STB back on you'll notice the difference, Ihad mine off for a month and didn't notice any change other than a sloppy turn in feeling but when I put it back on the front end of the car felt laser sharp on turn in and a lot of squeaks/rattles went away as well.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
The STB is an essential part of the vehicles geometry. You won't be able to tell but the front end clip does flex. Most will say the after the 94-96 you dont need it because Ford "Reinforced" the firewall on 97-98. I have yet to see the difference in firewalls. They just needed to cut back on cost, they took off the STB amongst other minute items that it will be hard to notice unless you look hard enough. If anyone has evidence of this "reinforced" firewall let's see it. It's bad enough our cars are almost noodles from the factory and having a STB and FLSFC is almost essential to being a first mod for a more responsive & stable car. I've gone so far as to also adding a 4 point K Member Support Brace. It makes a difference when you push into the corners .

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i might as well just stick with my k&n. i don't think i'll ge anymore hp from another kit.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
no, it's just the stock tube with a k&n filter that has a plastic box around it. not too fancy but it does the job. would i be able to feel the difference with another cold air intake or does mine do the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread