Which hood struts?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I installed the hood the summer of 2020 and only trimmed what I needed to trim to get the struts to work with the hood. The notch on the corner next to the hole in the hood is to clear my CC plates. The plates was never a issue with the factory hood. The MRT struts also worked fine with my factory hood with no modifications. It is because of the H.O.F hood. I'm pretty disappointed in this hood overall.

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk
Disappointed? I had their Cobra R hood on my on SN95 and went for their OEM 96-98 1" raised cowl for my current Cobra. I'm really happy with the fit and finish. If they were crap, I doubt Ford would have used them back in 95.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Disappointed? I had their Cobra R hood on my on SN95 and went for their OEM 96-98 1" raised cowl for my current Cobra. I'm really happy with the fit and finish. If they were crap, I doubt Ford would have used them back in 95.

Yes, for over $700 I'm pretty disappointed in it. This is the 2nd HO 95R hood I've installed. The first was for a 96GT back in 2001. That one was prepped and painted easily and fit perfect with minimal issues. This one had a really rough gel coat finish and fitment was horrible. The mounting holes were off center so we had to modify my hood hinges to work and get alignment right with the fenders. The R hood wouldn't clear my CC plates that have been on my car for 10+ years, we had to modify the hell out of them. This was all before I even started on the MRT struts. But there isn't a finger to point there. I knew what I was getting into because MRT says on their website the struts are NOT designed for aftermarket hoods. But I had the struts laying around the shop from the original hood and set out to see if I could get them to work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread