Which headgaskets?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
it seems like there's more people in this section with non-stock motors so i figured i'd try here. i already posted this in a defferent section, but got a bunch of nothing...

i'm gonna be using my stock '01 heads on a built shortblock using a WAP block. for an '01, the Fel-pro MLS headgasket part numbers are 9790PT2 and 9792PT2. now i would have thought 03/04's would have been the same, but it's showing different...

my question is what is the reason for a different gasket? are they stonger, meaning meant to handle boost, as apposed to NA for an '01? or is it different due to some sort of difference in coolant flow? or could it be meant for aluminum block and head vs. iron block/aluminum head? thanks for any input!

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I've been having tough time deciding on which headgasket to go with as well.....

Do people on here also recommend using the Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket when installing MLS headgaskets?? I know my DSM buddy said the DSM community swore by the stuff...

Janstang

Established Member
it seems like there's more people in this section with non-stock motors so i figured i'd try here. i already posted this in a defferent section, but got a bunch of nothing...

i'm gonna be using my stock '01 heads on a built shortblock using a WAP block. for an '01, the Fel-pro MLS headgasket part numbers are 9790PT2 and 9792PT2. now i would have thought 03/04's would have been the same, but it's showing different...

my question is what is the reason for a different gasket? are they stonger, meaning meant to handle boost, as apposed to NA for an '01? or is it different due to some sort of difference in coolant flow? or could it be meant for aluminum block and head vs. iron block/aluminum head? thanks for any input!
You should be fine with the 03-04 head gaskets. Thats what I always used on mine(WAP block w/ 03 heads). As far as I know there is no difference in coolant routing, strength, or gasket thickness. If in doubt give MMR a shout they swear by the Fel Pro stuff and may be able to answer some of your questions on the differences. I usually use stock replacements on mine. I've also ran the cometics with no issues. On the Cometics when reusing them I spray the Coppercoat and install them. Stock gaskets I don't reuse and install them dry.

SJ-KY

Established Member
Awh hell!!!! I just assembled my motor using the cometic gaskets with no coppercoat... Is it nessesary to use the coppercoat??? My motors already together in the car with the turbo system getting finished up....

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
You should be fine with the 03-04 head gaskets. Thats what I always used on mine(WAP block w/ 03 heads). As far as I know there is no difference in coolant routing, strength, or gasket thickness. If in doubt give MMR a shout they swear by the Fel Pro stuff and may be able to answer some of your questions on the differences. I usually use stock replacements on mine. I've also ran the cometics with no issues. On the Cometics when reusing them I spray the Coppercoat and install them. Stock gaskets I don't reuse and install them dry.
yea, i need to call MMR anyway. i was gonna see what they said. i know they use Fel-pro MLS, but they said they didn't have a part number last time i asked. maybe they'll give this time...are you getting the stock ones from the dealer?

Janstang

Established Member
Awh hell!!!! I just assembled my motor using the cometic gaskets with no coppercoat... Is it nessesary to use the coppercoat??? My motors already together in the car with the turbo system getting finished up....
I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they are new gaskets. It all depends on who you talk to about it. I've done them both ways and it worked fine. I started copper-coating mine primarily because you could see where the coating had flaked off in places and I didn't want to risk leakage.

Janstang

Established Member
yea, i need to call MMR anyway. i was gonna see what they said. i know they use Fel-pro MLS, but they said they didn't have a part number last time i asked. maybe they'll give this time...are you getting the stock ones from the dealer?
Randy Stinchcolm is who I get most of my Ford related stuff from.:rockon:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ nice. thanks for the tip. i'll probably check Tousley ford for their price and compare.

i know MMR swears by the Fel-Pro MLS ones, so i'm thinking of going that route. anyone else have input? i know there's a lot of people on here with built motors...

BLK_03

Established Member

Don't worry about it. You Supra boys don't use that shit, lol.

The copper coating just leaves a messy surface if the heads have to come off later anyway, making for a time consuming clean up.

Nick, I've used stock Ford head gaskets on both engines I've had in the car now, and they've withstood one hell of a thrashing on the street and 27/28 pound dyno pulls without issue. The Fel Pro's are good too, and I believe cheaper. I've heard so many different things about them. Sometimes they have the copper goo on them directly from Fel-Pro, sometimes they don't. But you can't go wrong either way. Check Jegs/Summit as I believe they have some pretty solid pricing on them.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Nick, I've used stock Ford head gaskets on both engines I've had in the car now, and they've withstood one hell of a thrashing on the street and 27/28 pound dyno pulls without issue. The Fel Pro's are good too, and I believe cheaper. I've heard so many different things about them. Sometimes they have the copper goo on them directly from Fel-Pro, sometimes they don't. But you can't go wrong either way. Check Jegs/Summit as I believe they have some pretty solid pricing on them.
thanks Tony! wow, yea i'd say if the stock ones hold on your car then they'll hold anything lol! well i'll definitely price the stock Ford ones for sure. i'm not trying to cut corners by any means, but if the Fel-pro's are like half the price and they will definitely work then i'll be doing those...do you happen to have the stock headgasket part numbers? do you know anything about why Fel-pro has a different set of numbers for 03/04's vs 96-01? i didn't know if it was because of the aluminum vs. iron block...

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I run FelPros on everything I build. Part # is 1141R and 1141L. The other 2 #s are the same exact gasket. it will say 1141 on the package and 9790 and 9792 on the gasket as well. The Felpros come with the tacky stuff on it as well

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
lol, he sure does! still gonna check on the stockers from Ford. i can just get a sweet deal on the 9790/9792 Felpro's so that may be hard to beat...

Users who are viewing this thread