which headers should I buy

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
I see so many long tube headers in your sigs, I have heard that the power gain over a short tube header is not worth the extra money? also is the egr tube hole on the long tube headers?
I am thinking of buying the bbk equal length headers :shrug:

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
this is the mod list I usually see on the cobras?I have a 95 cobra black with black leather, with the following mods bbk long tube headers, trickflow stage 1 cam, tremec 3550, shorty shifter, 3.73 gears fluidyne 3 core radiator, msd ignition, cold air induction by bbk, and 73mm mass air ...

i am running a 15 flat in the heat out here in texas and can beat stock ls1's and lt1s if the fall asleep at the lights , but they catch me about 90mph where should I go next to start leaving them and not have them catch me?
76mm c&l
3.73?
long tubes ?
msd ignition?
aluminum driveshaft?
75mm tb? and aftermarket intake?
255 walbro? with kirban?
I would love to pick up a half second and not spend thousands on blowers or nitrous , I want to be beating the camaros with only motor first then go into that boost stuff later...
this is my short mod list
9mm wires
pos CAI
dumped flows
275 35 18 bfg drag radials
thanks for any help you give... :rockon:

FangStang96SVT

Busted Fangs
Established Member
These are my next headers , here's why :
IMG_2450.jpg

Overall view
IMG_2451.jpg

Headliner close-up (see next pics for text reading)
IMG_2452.jpg

An even closer view
IMG_2469.jpg

Overall view (see next ones for text)
IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

Overall view only (see next close-ups)
IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

I already have Bassani X-Pipe with Bassani Hi-Flow Cats , FlowMasters American Thunder (2-Chambers)

GroundHog

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I've always heard headers are an absolute nightmare to do on our mod motors...looks as though the Bassani pipes are the way to go. What do they go for retail?

cpu1951

Established Member
A set of gears are gonna be your most noticeable difference.. and get rid of those cats.. I've heard both ways for headers, and i've found flow charts showing shorties out flowing longtubes a lot up until 4k or so and then the chart flops with the longtubes outflowing the shorties.. i've been happy with my frpp stainless shorties, went in great. So I guess my recomendation is o/r H and gears to start and should bring you to low 14's.

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
my cats are gutted already I want gears also but I think with 410 gears which I wanted Ill be shifting every 100ft....lol I loose time shifting so I think with 3.73 ill still be leaving it in third all the way to the end of the track... hey dont be upset if you loose a second at our track... :-D

cpu1951

Established Member
3.73 for sure, 4.10's in a 5.0 and 4th gear tops out wayyyy to low... with 3.73's though you will definately be in 4th gear at the end unless you are trapping <85mph or so... well remember a turbo car isn't affected as much as NA in altitude changes ;-) , hopin for low 11's with the turbo :-D

JohnsMyName

Established Member
I've got the bassani o/r X and A/T Flows. I will be getting the Ford Racing ceramic shorties soon. I hear the install is as easy as to be expected, and quality is proven through and through.

Go with Ford Racing unless you wanna drop some bucks on long tubes, then spend your 7-800 and buy a new mid-pipe too.

FOX-4-COBRA

Established Member
I got Flo-Techs (Holleys Cheapies) shorties after running out of money upon completion of the stroker. Mine seal like crap even after changing gaskets several times. The tubes are bent at an angle making it real dificult to tighten the header bolts. Maybe I got a bum pair but next gasket change will be a header change, the constant exhaust leaks kill me. :nono:

Just My two cents.

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
cpu1951 said:
3.73 for sure, 4.10's in a 5.0 and 4th gear tops out wayyyy to low... with 3.73's though you will definately be in 4th gear at the end unless you are trapping <85mph or so... well remember a turbo car isn't affected as much as NA in altitude changes ;-) , hopin for low 11's with the turbo :-D
I leave mine in third till the end and only see 5200rpm at 92mph?
:coolman:

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Holy cow! Swap in some 3.73's and be prepared to powershift 3-4!

I agree on the FRPP shorties, have a set that have been in the car since ~1998

But if you want to spend the extra bucks, BBK longtubes are fine. Not that terribly much harder to put in than shorties on a 5.0 (there are degrees of hard).

Stick with a 65mm TB, 75 is too much for N/A.

I run 13.90's in a full weight Cobra with a need for more seat time. I could get it down to 13.50's easy without engine changes, but the Aluminum heads will be in by the next time I make it to the strip :)

SVTCobra306

Established Member
That was in Evadale, TX. Can't be too far below where you are...plus the stupid heat and high humidity down there sucks some power off...

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
SVTCobra306 said:
That was in Evadale, TX. Can't be too far below where you are...plus the stupid heat and high humidity down there sucks some power off...
where in the hell is that....lol :read:

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
SVTCobra306 said:
I found it it says the elevation is 50 feet above sea level and out here its like 3281' above sea level , so it would have to be 110º and 90% humidity to equal 83º here ....lol

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Well, that's about a normal July-August day.. that or 100 degrees and 100% humidity.

BTW dumb question, How the heck did you get a degree sign on your post?

stacy532

you can pass me
Established Member
hit and hold alt button and typeº 0186 when I did the mathon the density altitude it would have to be 128º and 90% humidity to equal the air here on a 80º day :-D
damn.jpg
here is the fake da from 50' above sea level....lol

Users who are viewing this thread