Which gears?

DepWraith

Established Member
Gonna change rear brakes soon to facilitate better wheel/tire options and thinking I might as well change the gear out while in at it. On the fence between 3.73 and 4.10. Most city driving, but some highways too. Looking for recommendations and experiences.

***Please only respond to this if you HAVE a '13 and HAVE changed your rear gear, thanks.

SVTKen

Established Member
My '13 is on order, but I am well qualified to respond to this. 4.10s will be a handful for the street. The 3.73s or even 3.55s would be a better choice for a mix of street and drag strip use. Trying to get traction with 4.10s on street tires on any street surface will be very difficult, to say the least. With that much torque (over 500 lb-ft at just 2000 RPM), the 4.10s would only be useful on a prepped track surface using DRs or slicks.

Last edited:

topless10th

Established Member
if you're going through the trouble of changing brakes for a better tire, your choice should be between the 4.10's and 4.30's. 3.73 will not satisfy you, after all, this pig weighs over 4k lbs.

SVTKen

Established Member
if you're going through the trouble of changing brakes for a better tire, your choice should be between the 4.10's and 4.30's. 3.73 will not satisfy you, after all, this pig weighs over 4k lbs.

This is not good advice for street use. Sorry, but it's absolutely nuts to put 4.30s on a street car with street tires. If all it's going to see is a drag strip and a prepped track on slicks, then go for it. Just my .02.

topless10th

Established Member
This is not good advice for street use. Sorry, but it's absolutely nuts to put 4.30s on a street car with street tires. If all it's going to see is a drag strip and a prepped track on slicks, then go for it. Just my .02.

ken, the term "street use" is a very relative one. please consider the fact that the op plans a rear brake change in search of a wheel/tire combo that hooks. i have 3.73's on my "street only" conv and they are fine for that. if i had a 275/60 dr or 28x10 slick, i would want 4.30's.

spazpilot

Established Member
DepWraith
I would seriously just stick with your stock 3.31's. Unless you just plan on drag racing it and running it on ET streets all the time, this car is so easly modded to 700rwhp that the higher gears will just make the tires spin through third. 3.31's are just going to be more civil on street tires. Remember also, I'm giving you my opinion based on the fact that I also DD my car with occasional drag on the weekends.

SVTKen

Established Member
Ugh again...can nobody here read???

I think you need to be more specific about what your intentions are before we can give you an answer.

You said nothing about slicks, DRs, or the kind of wheel and tire options you are considering, so we don't know what you want. I think the you need to give us more information about your intentions before we can answer your question. Are you planning to daily drive the car? Are you planning to spend most of your time drag racing or on a road course? Are you planning to auto cross the car? Auto crossing the Shelby with 4.10s would be foolish. I personally would go for a combination that is right for street and strip use.

I had a Procharged SVT Cobra and it was perfect with the 3.73s, but that's a completely different animal than the Shelby?

ken, the term "street use" is a very relative one. please consider the fact that the op plans a rear brake change in search of a wheel/tire combo that hooks. i have 3.73's on my "street only" conv and they are fine for that. if i had a 275/60 dr or 28x10 slick, i would want 4.30's.

So when you are going full throttle down a country road with no shoulder, you are perfectly comfortable with the 373s? I think the 373s are about as far as anyone would want to go on street tires, especially on the street! It's different on a prepped track surface.

Last edited:

DepWraith

Established Member
I think you need to be more specific about what your intentions are before we can give you an answer.

You said nothing about slicks, DRs, or the kind of wheel and tire options you are considering, so we don't know what you want. I think the you need to give us more information about your intentions before we can answer your question. Are you planning to daily drive the car? Are you planning to spend most of your time drag racing or on a road course? Are you planning to auto cross the car? Auto crossing the Shelby with 4.10s would be foolish. I personally would go for a combination that is right for street and strip use.

I had a Procharged SVT Cobra and it was perfect with the 3.73s, but that's a completely different animal than the Shelby?
I was specific, I said I only wanted replies from people who have what I do and have switched their gears and their results and opinions.

Clearly reducing brake sizes as I mentioned wouldn't be a smart choice for road courses or auto crossing, so that should be clue #1 on my intentions.

And yes, your old pro charged Cobra is a Completely different animal than mine.

DepWraith

Established Member

4.30 is too high as it does see highway occasionally. Are you not happy with your 3.73's?

aso544

Established Member
I personally think the stock 3.31s are too hard on the clutch with this much HP......just my opinion.

DepWraith

Established Member
DepWraith
I would seriously just stick with your stock 3.31's. Unless you just plan on drag racing it and running it on ET streets all the time, this car is so easly modded to 700rwhp that the higher gears will just make the tires spin through third. 3.31's are just going to be more civil on street tires. Remember also, I'm giving you my opinion based on the fact that I also DD my car with occasional drag on the weekends.

Spazpilot, thanks, I have 707lbs of torque at the wheels right now so I'm aware of the ability of spinning tires, which is why I'm looking for a wheel/tire change. It does see some drag track time and will probably switch off between stock wheels and a drag setup with slicks and/or dr's for some track/street fun. I have 6,000 miles on mine already and will probably not do anymore high speed runs after changing my brakes out, so would like to change gear.

DepWraith

Established Member

What size wheel and what tire are you using with your 3.73's? Results?

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Being that I have a 2013 and have had 3.31's, 3.73's, and now 4.10's
I would suggest 3.73's for overall performance. If you decide to
run DR's and will be at the strip a fair amount 4.10's are more
optimal. I REALLY like my 4.10's on the street but you have to have
the rubber to handle them.

DepWraith

Established Member
Being that I have a 2013 and have had 3.31's, 3.73's, and now 4.10's
I would suggest 3.73's for overall performance. If you decide to
run DR's and will be at the strip a fair amount 4.10's are more
optimal. I REALLY like my 4.10's on the street but you have to have
the rubber to handle them.

Thanks BIRDDOC, that's what I was looking for! Saw you did rear brake swap, anything needed besides rotors and brackets (do you have the track pack)? Did you leave the front brakes or change them?

topless10th

Established Member
Mark is a great resource for this question, having had three different ratios. his goal is proof that 3.73 is NOT enough for a more serious driver. this is a freaking six-speed...2 overdrives. if you want to get this car out of the hole, you will need 4.10's and a 275/60 minimum. personally, i have conceded and just want to roll out with the z06's and such, lol.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I don't know what you guys are driving, I lost traction rolling into the throttle in 3rd at 70 tonight with the stock gears. What tire technology are you using on the street?

Users who are viewing this thread