Which gas has the best power potential

• 87 ethanol free

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I thought about this the other day at a station that has 87, 89, 93, 104E85, and 87 Ethanol free. My question is, which has more potential, the 87 with no ethanol or the 93 with a questionable amount of ethanol in it. I only as seeing as the nonethanol isn't watered down like the rest of the gas we get. Curious to hear some of the gas/oil guru's asnwer this one

4VFTW

Established Member
you answered your own question with the 1st part of the sentence.

/end thread

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
93 clear ethanol free as a standalone. Tune for the same stoich for best results.

I've not seen 93 ethanol free at any stations around here. I've only seen 87. It seems that some want to answer with stupidity instead of seriousness, even the most basic retard knows the octane basis. I was curious more for someone who has in depth knowledge of chemical compositions and the potential energy of fuels that aren't watered down. Many newer vehicles even say not to use gas with any ethanol content. So my curiousity stemmed more from potential theoretical energy than simple octane rating

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
Gasoline has more heat energy,(btu's), than ethanol. Ethanol has about 60% of the energy as pure gasoline. Nitro methane has about 1/3 but since its self oxygenated you can run it just at the edge of hydrostatic lock.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
The octane rating does not measure potential, but rather how resistant to knock that particular fuel is. If you want "potential" switch to E85. You can run a ton of extra timing with that fuel.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
The octane rating does not measure potential, but rather how resistant to knock that particular fuel is. If you want "potential" switch to E85. You can run a ton of extra timing with that fuel.

I'm with 4VFTW on that one, Octane rating most certainly does indicate a fuels potential to make more power, I'll agree, octane doesn't make any power by itself but it does allow you to run more timing/compression/boost which will result in a power increase.

As for the OP's question, regardless of the octane rating, 1 gallon of pure gasoline has 114000 BTU's.

E10 OToH has 112,000 BTU so it will make less power but it's not enough to go out of one's way to chose one over the other.

My old blown 3v made 600+ rwhp all day long on BP-93 which from some analysis had upwards of 15% ethanol in it.

AKDMB

Established Member
e85 has way more potential than 93, especially in boosted applications, it's nice with NA applications too, just for the extra knock protection. In boosted applications you could pick up 50+rwhp with e85 easy over 93.

Here's a thread, +60rwhp/+34ft-lb's, boosted of course:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?949715-Joined-the-Paxton-Club-93-vs-E85-dyno-sheet

Last edited:

mattaglover

2011 5.0
Established Member
I have always been told that by definition the octane level measures the ability for the fuel to resist detonation. I wasn't trying to cause a debate, I was just three sheets to the wind last night lol.

I believe you are basically saying the same thing they are. The higher the octane the more resistant to knock therefore more power. You are not wrong by any means. The answer to the thread though is like said above. Higher octane so e85 more timing more power.

Roushcornfed

Established Member
Do not run 93, 91,87 ethanol free gas unless you want less knock protection period. We have seen endless cars come in on the dyno and knock with tunes because they think ethanol free is best. Empty 93 with no ethanol and Switch gas to 93 ethanol no more knock. Very very common i witnessed it even with my own a few years ago. If you have a power adder e85 is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread