Which fuel door design do you like best?

Which fuel door do you like?

• Black Door with Cobra Snake

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Black Door with Snake and "SVT Cobra" lettering

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Neither...Yuck, too much bling!

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trueblueeyes

Established Member
I can't decide which of the two fuel doors below I like best so I thought I'd ask for everyone's opinion.

*Fuel door #1 has a black powdercoated door with a Cobra and the ring is polished:
blackcobrayn7.jpg

*Fuel door #2 has "SVT Cobra" lettering added next to the snake and the ring is chrome plated:
blacksvtcobrata3.jpg

Yes, I realize this thread is trivial. But I only have one day to decide and I really just can't make up my mind. :) So please give me your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
Melissa

NXCaaabra

wobblehead
Established Member
i like them both.. looks like the chrome is easier to take care of too.... how much are they btw, i might order me one sometime//....

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
I don't care for either, but I really can't stand the second one without the snake being centered. If it said only "SVT" that would look better.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Right now I have one of the original UPR Snake fuel doors. I polished the ring and it looks great (thanks for the tips Hissman!) The only problem are some barely visible scratches above and to the side of the snake on the door itself. Not visibile in the picture and you can't see it unless you are very close. It still bugs me though since I know they are there....(Not sure how it happened since I bought the door used and they were on it when I got it. I also don't of any way to repair them since it would be difficult to get a perfect paint match).

Here is the door I have now. (BTW, I do *not* advise polishing by hand unless you have a lot of free time and plenty of patience. What a PITA that was. I'll be doing the intake on the Cobra but only after I buy some tools to make it easier).
uprsnakenz8.jpg

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Just realized how bad the ring looks in the picture. It actually polished to a scratch free mirror shine but has been sitting in the garage waiting for my car to get out of the paint booth so it has picked up plenty of dust and smudged fingerprints...

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
The Cobra alone looks better. You should then get the polished ring painted to match body color. The ring makes the door look lame.

It would look really sweet if the only silver parts were the bolts and the snake.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
JSpeed said:
The Cobra alone looks better. You should then get the polished ring painted to match body color. The ring makes the door look lame.

It would look really sweet if the only silver parts were the bolts and the snake.

You know, that doesn't sound half bad. Since my car is in the paint booth anyway I can take it apart to have him spray it and see how it looks. What kind of prep is needed to paint aluminum?

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
trueblueeyes said:
You know, that doesn't sound half bad. Since my car is in the paint booth anyway I can take it apart to have him spray it and see how it looks. What kind of prep is needed to paint aluminum?

Etching primer would be best but the regular stuff will work.
Seperate and remove the door.
REMOVE the bolts.
Do not allow the shop to be lazy and just mask them.. final quality will be poor.

Have the part lightly sandblasted and then have it primed right after blasting. The blaster will give a excellent surface for the paint to adhere to. Paint the entire ring.. backside as well... basically encapsulating the aluminum piece in a layer of paint. That will last the life of the car.

Before you do anything, install the part on the car and check fitment.
If it fits ok then check to see how tight the fit is. You want to make sure the layer of paint will not intefere with final fitment.
If the fit is tight then you need to instruct the painter to go thin on the side and backside coat.

Last edited:

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Thanks for the info! I can sandblast and do the prep here so that will save time and I'll just have him paint it. Again, thanks for the help.

Melissa

trueblueeyes

Established Member
NXCaaabra said:
i like them both.. looks like the chrome is easier to take care of too.... how much are they btw, i might order me one sometime//....

The top one is $130.00 shipped and the bottom one (with the SVT Cobra lettering and the chrome ring) is $150.00 shipped. A little pricey but really not too bad shipped from Canada. The guy also has custom doors for Lightnings that are pretty cool as well.

zerokube

Captain Happy Pants
Established Member
A friend of mine works for his dad who owns a cnc shop and they make fuel doors for upr and steeda. he and i are also making some stuff for cobras, we have been trying to figure out how to make the eaton and lightning plates for our cars so we all can get blown :p

Zerski

Banned
Established Member
I've never been a fan of those odd looking fuel doors...they're alright but I'd never put one on any of my cars.

Users who are viewing this thread