Which drag radial? Mickeys or Nittos?

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
which drag radials? stock 20 inch rims.

305-35-20 Mickey thompsons et street 2's
or
315-35-20 Nitto drag radials? 555 or Nto5?

both measure out to be about a 29 inch

I can get these for about 225 per tire for either set (normally 375). Local parts store is running a 55 anniversary sale and I can buy a few 100 gift cards for 60 bucks

Which ones would work better to get me in the 1.8 range for 60 foot? I'm getting 2.0's with the 285 goodyears

I have until next weekend to decide when they run this promo for 1 day only.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Mickey Thompson all day, the NT05Rs are good for the street but if you're serious about drag racing go with the MTs

carguy19

Established Member
I have had the MT's and I am going with the Nitto this time around.

The MT's only last 3-4K miles. The nittos are good for double that.

dturboman

Established Member
I've owned the following on vehicles with power from 600whp to 1200+

MT ET street
MT ET street 2
Nt05R

The ET street 2 are not nearly as good as the original ET street.

in order it would be

ET street
NT05r
ET street 2

paluka21

Established Member
Mickey Thompsons will most likely hook better all around, but wear quickly as mentioned. They also appear to be terrible if you get caught in the rain. I don't have any experience with the NT05's, but I know some members on here run them, and love them. The 555 R's are IMO a good all around tire, but may not hook as well as the Mickey's or NT05. However, they worked well for me when I got caught in a rain storm on several occasions, and are definitely capable of 1.8 60' times. Also, IMO I would look for a tire which is a bit shorter than 29" such as the 305/35/20 which is 28.58", which is .73" taller than stock. There is also the 305/30/20 NT05 which is a little shorter than stock, but less side wall.
With any of these tires, IMO be prepared to replace your stock axles as some on here had issues bending them once the car starts hooking.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're only going to the strip 1-2 times a season and might drive in rain, the 555Rs probably a good choice.
I run the NT05Rs and Super Chevy did a comparison against the MT ET IIs and they were almost identical with the NT05Rs barely better.
It was a bottom 11 sec. 6-speed Camaro, so pretty close to performance of these cars.
I ran a 1.76 60' at 15psi with the NT05Rs, I'm very happy with them on the street as well.
I don't think you can go wrong with any to be honest, I just like the Nittos due to mileage concerns.
My strip car has MTs, the GT500 has NT05Rs.
-J

Ba_SVT

Established Member
If you're only going to the strip 1-2 times a season and might drive in rain, the 555Rs probably a good choice.
I run the NT05Rs and Super Chevy did a comparison against the MT ET IIs and they were almost identical with the NT05Rs barely better.
It was a bottom 11 sec. 6-speed Camaro, so pretty close to performance of these cars.
I ran a 1.76 60' at 15psi with the NT05Rs, I'm very happy with them on the street as well.
I don't think you can go wrong with any to be honest, I just like the Nittos due to mileage concerns.
My strip car has MTs, the GT500 has NT05Rs.
-J

Got to ask, you run the NT05Rs for daily driving? Meaning what you said above, strip 1-2 times a year and occasional rain...better than the MPSS for your purposes then?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine is a fair weather driver, love them for that. I did get caught in rain last year, just drive smart.
I have MPSS on my true DD and the 555R would be a compromise between them and fit the stock wheel better.
For me and this application, NT05R right tire.
-J

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Being Mine's a convertible. No clouds in sight means it's time for a ride. Mines a Perfect day machine.

if it looks like rain MAY come anywhere I'm going. I'll drive something else.

One other concern.

How well do these Drag radials hold up to storage and flat spotting?

on my vette I had BFG drag radials years ago and for the first 20 miles it was like riding on square tires.

I hope these aren't the same? if so, I'll just buy a rear axle jack.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Never had a problem with the Nittos, actually been driving mine since last weekend but fired right up and drives perfect.
Luckily no problems with battery or tires and I just cleaned it pulled it in garage and didn't touch it last 5 months.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread