Which credit card would you get? Need help

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Capital One Venture card, if you can qualify. Pay it in full, each month.

Getting that in the mail(today hopefully).

First card was through Wells Fargo. convenient and the rewards I got from points I used to pay the CC statement.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It's all self control. I have had cap 1 for almost 10 years had one at 18. At one point had credit line between the cc I had of 35,000 but have made $ on the cc companies over the years.

Self control. If you ain't got the cash in the bank don't buy it.

I know, I know - typical SVTP - everyone on here has an 820 and made money off their rewards last year vs. the interest and fees they paid.

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
When I first started using credit cards, I used it only for gas. Maybe groceries also. But that way you don't start overspending. Now, I spend everything on credit and still pay it off every month because of rewards I get, there is no reason to use a debit card. Just have to be careful of watching what you spend.

dereknel015

Established Member
Makes sense, thanks for the advice guys. Are discovers taken at most places? I was looking into that but my mom said she wouldn't get it just because not everywhere takes it. I will look into the cards you say. I was looking at the American Express blue cash preferred card(I think that's what it's called) and it looked pretty good. I just hope I can qualify for these cards. Right now it will mostly be used on gas and groceries(I don't spend money on many other things) so I am trying to figure out which one is best for that. I'll look into the venture card. I mainly want a good cash back/reward card and am not too worried about airline cards.

10splaya22

Established Member
Get a secured credit card to start off (the money you put on it counts as credit) through a good bank (usually credit unions are the best) that doesn't have sneaky fees. Then you're only owning yourself when you use it and you can't overspend. It's a good way to start building your credit if you don't have any and can't get approved.

Trust me, EVERYONE who got their first credit card said "I am only going to use this for emergencies and to build my credit". Ask them how long that lasted. There will be a day when you see something you just REALLY want and don't want to save for it then you will say "I'll just put it on my card and pay it off quickly".

I will never touch a CC again. If I want something, it comes out of my bank account because when, or if you ever come across tough times you will pull it out of your pocket. I was young and had awesome credit in my early 20's. I started with one card and after being married I ended up with about 6 (and closing many prior to). Not that I opened many of them but it's usually how it ends up. Most of the time the reasoning was "Well this one has low rate so we'll just transfer the balance and close the other card..." then you go, oh hey, I got en empty 2,000$ credit line, kaching, kaching.

I'm not saying you would do any of this, just giving you views on the other end of having a CC.

Well I guess I'm not everyone. I've never bought something that I didn't have money to pay off right away. I've never carried a balance over from one month to another and never paid any interest on any cards. I just switched from using a debit card to a cc to build credit and also get 1% rewards which isn't much but better than nothing. The only thing I pay interest on is a car loan which I also use to build credit.

oldmodman

Established Member
One of the biggest factors in determining your FICO score is credit utilization.
How much of your credit balance are you using up every month?
If you charge $850.00 on your card and pay it off every month you are still using 85% of a $1,000.00 credit limit. That will not be scored well at all.

But if you charge the same $850.00 on a card with a $10,000.00 limit that is only an 8.5% utilization and look much better to your FICO.

So it is actually better (up to a point) to have multiple cards with a combined higher limit. Especially since that higher limit will (hopefully) go unutilized.

dereknel015

Established Member
Ok, I will try to increase my credit limit asap. Dont most CC's start out with $500 ish?

Jbstang87

Established Member
i had shit credit when I was 21. Now im 26 I have a 750 score. Depending on your current score you should try and get the Chase Freedom. 5 percent cash back on gas, starbucks, movie theaters, restaurants, lowes, amazon.com. They generally approve people in the 650-700 range. When you get your card don't go all crazy with it and you will be fine.

Join free credit monitoring sites like creditkarma and check that thing. Getting in control of your finances is a step towards a better life.

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
Listen to this guy. It's too easy to get yourself into trouble. I owe nothing on credit cards now and it will stay that way forever. When I think of the money I gave to those companies in interest payments in my 20's and 30's, it makes me sick to my stomach.

This^^

The only real way to ever have money is to not have debt. I have excellent credit, but zero credit card debt. You don't have to have a card to have good credit.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Have had a Blue card from American Express for over 10 years - good rate and rewards are stellar, plus terrific customer service. With that said, we also have a Disney card issued through Capital One b/c my wife is a Disney junkie and we use it for vacations every few years.

I don't agree with floating a balance from month to month, unless it is a deferred interest deal. Pay it off every month and your credit rating will take care of itself, it's a combination of a lot of other factors including your credit card history.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It's all self control. I have had cap 1 for almost 10 years had one at 18. At one point had credit line between the cc I had of 35,000 but have made $ on the cc companies over the years.

Self control. If you ain't got the cash in the bank don't buy it.

Agreed on self control.

My wife and I use our CC for what we were using our debit cards for: Gas, groceries, eating out, etc. Anything I put on the card, I have the cash in the bank in the bank to pay for it. Instead of paying cash, I just use the card, get rewards for doing that and then pay it off at the end of the month. Last Friday my dog had surgery and it cost $650 and I was excited to put it on the card for more points:banana:

Edit: We have the Wells Fargo Visa Platinum if that matters

kveazy

Established Member
I got a student discover card maybe 6 months ago started with 500 and now have 750$. Its easy to get and no fees just make sure u pay it off every month

dereknel015

Established Member
do you have decent rewards for the discover student card? Do you find most places take it?

Users who are viewing this thread