Which clutch setup should i use?

bomrrman84

Established Member
so my TOB finally let go......i've been preparing for it, since its been pretty noisy lately. heres what ive gotten from my research so far. im just wondering if spending the extra 500$ will be worth it.

- 26 spline - D&D performance 370$

- clutch - ProMotion 400$

- flywheel - Mcleod steel flywheel 330$

- tob - Ford Racing heavy duty 54$

- tob sleeve retainer - Lethal performance 115$

nothing balaced

1300$ total

OR

- Mcleod 99-04 Mustang Street Twin Clutch Kit (26 Spline-8 Bolt) 1255$
includes flywheel, extra TOB, and clutch kit

- 26 spline - D&D performance 370$

- tob - Ford Racing heavy duty 54$

- tob sleeve retainer - Lethal performance 115$

package done

1800$ total

how much would it cost to have the first setup balanced?
Also, does anyone know of reasonable performance shops out here in Las Vegas that have experience with terminators and could do the clutch? i have heard some stories on here of shops messing it up and the customer having to come back in in 1000 miles because of improper adjustment.

10sec89

Established Member
You can save on the Flywheel by sending it back to McLeod for re conditioning. I just went this way with mine, cost $125 + shipping. Came back like new!
Clutch depends what you plan to do with the car and how much power you make or plan to make in the future. I went Promotion, and got the 520hp set up. I am 250 miles into break in and am loving it so far.

bomrrman84

Established Member
i remember you suggested the promotion clutch setup to me in a previous post, thanks for that. as of right now, i just have an intake and exhaust on the car but i do plan on future mods.....tune and pulley in the near future considering how cheap they are. a 600 to 650 hp setup would be more than safe, one day would like to change blowers (not for a while though). did Mcleod balance your setup as well? i was kinda on the fence about getting an aluminium flywheel as well, what would be the major reason for going aluminium or steel?

My96z

Established Member
Go aluminum. Steel will help with the initial launch but after that its just additional weight the engine has to accelerate. Our blown engines have enough low end.

I just got a ProMotion kit also, the 650hp one. It seems somone put a steel flywheel in mine. I bought a Fidanza aluminum flywheel thats going in with the ProMotion clutch kit.

10sec89

Established Member
i remember you suggested the promotion clutch setup to me in a previous post, thanks for that. as of right now, i just have an intake and exhaust on the car but i do plan on future mods.....tune and pulley in the near future considering how cheap they are. a 600 to 650 hp setup would be more than safe, one day would like to change blowers (not for a while though). did Mcleod balance your setup as well? i was kinda on the fence about getting an aluminium flywheel as well, what would be the major reason for going aluminium or steel?

McLeod only refurbished my flywheel. I haven't heard of anyone on here getting them balanced. Only way to properly balance would be the whole rotating assembly. I have no odd vibrations of any sort with mine.

bomrrman84

Established Member
so i dont have to have it balanced then, thats good to know. i just saw Mcleod balances theirs. sounds like using the Promotion clutch is the way to go. thanks for the inputs on the flywheel as well, very helpful. unfortunately, my cobra is my dd right now so pulling the flywheel and sending it in for resurfacing is a little unrealistic. im having someone else do the work too, which sucks but i dont have the time right now because of my work schedule. whats the difference between the hot and cold setups from promotion?

10sec89

Established Member
Not sure on the hot/cold. Call them and ask, they will answer any questions you have and point you in the right direction.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
my cobra is my year round DD, and has been since i got er' (3-4 years ago). i have been running a promotion 520hp rated clutch for over 50k miles now, and love it. the clutch pedal is soooooo much lighter than stock...it feels like any other normal/manual car out there, as far as how heavy the clutch pedal is. the clutch has made no strange noises, or problems...it has never slipped, or anything like that...and i got around 45k miles out of their TOB. went in to replace the TOB and still had plenty of clutch left to go. i have been very impressed with their product, and will be going right back to them if my clutch ever does need replaced again.

bomrrman84

Established Member
true, i probably dont need the TOB retainer sleeve. it also sounds like 115 $ worth of cheap insurance to me so i wont have to worry about it down the road. still havent gotten any word on speed shops in las vegas, anyone know of any? ive done some research on shelby speed shop but i dont know of any other ones.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
you don't need the TOB retainer sleeve unless you just feel like spending $115

This is bad advice imo. The stockers are well known to break at any given time. Why not eliminate the chance of it breaking and replace it while a person is in there to begin with. I've seen threads where some members did NOT swap them and then a couple months down the road guess what!? Cheap insurance in the long run, especially if you don't do your own work, then you have to pay labor cost again to rip the tranny out.:nonono:

Last edited:

Grimster

Established Member
This is bad advice imo. The stockers are well known to break at any given time. Why not eliminate the chance of it breaking and replace it while a person is in there to begin with. I've seen threads where some members did NOT swap them and then a couple months down the road guess what!? Cheap insurance in the long run, especially if you don't do your own work, then you have to pay labor cost again to rip the tranny out.:nonono:

I mean, it's his money and all, but I just don't think it is worth it. Of course it really depends on how his stock sleeve is right now. If it needs to be replaced, then I would definitely go with the Lethal or Mcleod options.

FWIW I just had my stock clutch replaced with a Centerforce Dual Friction and opted to keep my 10-spline input shaft as well as my stock retainer sleeve. Of course, it all could break tomorrow, but I don't drive it THAT hard so I feel comfortable with my setup.

I know it's cheap insurance, but at this point I guess saving some extra money is worth more to me than hedging a bet against my transmission.

If mine does break then it will give me the excuse to go with a 26-spline setup with the aftermarket retainer sleeve :rockon:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I mean, it's his money and all, but I just don't think it is worth it. Of course it really depends on how his stock sleeve is right now. If it needs to be replaced, then I would definitely go with the Lethal or Mcleod options.

FWIW I just had my stock clutch replaced with a Centerforce Dual Friction and opted to keep my 10-spline input shaft as well as my stock retainer sleeve. Of course, it all could break tomorrow, but I don't drive it THAT hard so I feel comfortable with my setup.

I know it's cheap insurance, but at this point I guess saving some extra money is worth more to me than hedging a bet against my transmission.

If mine does break then it will give me the excuse to go with a 26-spline setup with the aftermarket retainer sleeve :rockon:

I suppose to each there own. I just had a clutch swap in march do to my stock flywheel making noise. I upgraded everything with better parts including a 26 spline shaft. The TOB sleeve is just like the diff cover in these cars. You might be fine for awhile but eventually it will give. From what I've seen it doesn't always matter on how hard you beat on the thing, it only takes one time. My car only has 24k miles on it and I see zero dragstrips and don't beat the piss out of constantly. It just boggles my mind that terminator owners skimp out on the little things.:beer:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i agree with bdubbs and cobracide as well. you'd be silly not to replace/upgrade the TOB sleeve while you are in there. ours/these cars are NOTORIOUS for having them fail.

i personally went with lethals forged sleeve, back when i did my promotion clutch swap.

bomrrman84

Established Member
dont worry guys, i'm gonna get the sleeve from lethal. Grimster, nothing personal but you the only person to advise me against this. what is your reasoning for this other than cost? i've got extensive experience with fox bodies, where this part isn't an issue and ive replaced and dealt with TOB's on t-5's and TKO500's where it isnt the weak point. i agree with the other guys posting here, and as i said before, it seems like cheap insurance to me. ive done enough research to know this is a common problem with terminators. my TOB let go and, if i was pressed for cash, the clutch setup would be the thing i didnt buy. this is not a problem i would like to think about anytime soon. i appreciate your inputs but a good TOB and the lethal sleeve are #1 on my list.

Last edited:

bomrrman84

Established Member
back on the original topic of this thread, i know alot of you guys are using ProMotion setups but, does anyone have experience with the new Centerforce setups? ive heard their new stuff is pretty good and im also aware that all the new Cobra Jets are equipped with Centerforce clutches.

asierra1

Established Member
my 10 spline centerforce holds pretty well on the street, but the pedal is pretty stiff. I dont mind it, but stop and go traffic is a solid leg workout. I haven't been to the track yet though, i really dont wanna break an input shaft on my dd. im about to build the trans an go with a 26 spline and promotion clutch.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I second the comment about the steel flywheel. I put one in mine and wished I never had. I will put an aluminum back in when it's time. The steel seemed to ruin the whole character of the car (for me). Made it feel like the car gained 500lbs :(

Users who are viewing this thread