Which clutch and flywheel?

ThrashN

Do What?
Established Member
This is for my 96
I was thinking of a spec II and a aluminum flywheel.
does this sound like a good idea or should I just get my stock flywheel resurfaced? If I should get a new flywheel where is the best price on them?
Thanks,
Doug

96badvenm

Established Member
go with the spec II if you plan on moding your car. The aluminum flywheel is just going to make the clutch enagae quicker... i just got the stock one resurfaced, with my spec II everything seems to be smooth!

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
The flywheel has nothing to do with how quick the clutch engages. A lighter f/w does allow the engine to rev a little faster though. Do a search on aluminum flywheels, there are roughly eleventy-billion threads on it.

I had a SPEC 2 and I wasn’t too impressed with it. I installed it with a new fidanza aluminum f/w, and other then the first couple months of driving, it wasn’t very nice to drive on the street. It chattered a lot, and you really had to force it to slip. I recently replaced it with an 11” McLeod performance clutch and the difference in quality is staggering. The Kevlar on the SPEC disk was flaky and soft. On the McLeod disk, it’s very solid. In addition, the Kevlar covers much more surface area on the McLeod disk then the SPEC (I should mention that the McLeod disk is Kevlar on the f/w side and organic on the PP side).

I would highly recommend the D&D SHD 11” setup along with a fidanza Alum f/w. You get a McLeod disk, FRPP pressure plate and the proper sized bolts for the conversion (the bolts you need for an 11” PP are bigger then a 10.5” PP). You end up with a clutch that holds just as much if not more power then a sticky 10.5” setup, but engages much more smoothly. The 11” setup is a little heavier, but the Alum. f/w will more then compensate for it.

Users who are viewing this thread