Which cam for stock 351?

Termin8or

Shake 'n Bake
Established Member
I realize this may not be the best place to ask this question, but I figured many of you have experience in choosing a cam for a 351 engine. The cam I am looking out is found at…

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...50+4294907911+4294925054+0&appfilter=1&orig=1

The application is a ’71 Ford pick-up. It’s my brother’s truck and has been recently restored over the past 2 years. Engine is basically pretty stock from a ’79 F-150. A 650 carb sits atop with a K&N Filter and an custom off-road X-pipe with 2 ½” tubes with flows are basically the only mods. My question is… will this cam work well with the stock valve springs, valve-to-piston clearance, or carb?

Is this a good cam, or should I be looking at something different? I’m brand new at picking out a cam, but I have an understanding of what most of the specifications mean due to reading up on cam specs in an “Engine Masters” magazine. ;) All I want from the cam is a little more power and a nice-lopey sound.

I’m in Iraq right now and I’d like to get this for my brother for X-mas, so when I come home for leave in March we could install it together. Which leads me to my next question. Where could I find a write-up on how to install a cam on a 351 engine? I have tons of resources/tools to do this with at home, but I want to do it myself for a change instead of having my dad or my dad’s motorgenius friend do it.

Thanks for all the help in advance… I think my brother would go crazy if he got this.

Termin8or

Shake 'n Bake
Established Member
btw, the truck was painted Sonic Blue with fat silver racing stripes... looks awesome. I should post a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread