which blower??

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
You all made very good points and I appreciate all the info very much! But.......... as you may have seen/read my car is "blowing smoke" and i am in the process of "trying" to get a new motor or the problem solved. Then it will be time for the blower but i have a feeling this whole process may take a while.

Mike

93 red snake

Established Member
k bell is a great blower but unless ur on slicks who can use the power at 2k anyway. my novi 2000 starts building boost at 3k it comes on hard but smooth and pulls hard all the way till i shift at 6grand. my rpms never drop below 3 grand and i launch at 2800 on nittos.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I ran my Paxton SC for about a year and then installed the air to air intercooler. I think its a good upgrade. Especailly if you run on the track. Though the car had to be retuned, it made the car noticable faster.

hcracerx

Established Member
Good advice...

Not to step on anyone else's toes, because everyone here has given good and fairly impartial/ non-favoritist opinions. But, if there is anyone that should be taken at their word, it would be ForceInjection...look at who he works for!!! Superchargers Online know their stuff inside and out. Although, I personally would have talked up Vortech a little more...;-)

jak112460

Established Member
Dont screw the after cooler. You do need it. Dont cut corners. Do it right. By the way Vortech owns Paxton and makes their blowers. An after cooler/ intercooler makes the supercharger more efficiant and requires less boost to make more power. It simply keeps the inlet charge cooler. Dont blow off the after cooler.

mikestoyz

Established Member
With the aftercooler, it will decrease the boost 1-2 PSI.

Personally I wouldnt spend the 1,000-1500 they want to charge for a aftercooler.

Dont forget relocating the battery to the trunk and the increased clutter in the engine bay.

Get a SMC Water/Alchohol injection kit for about 350. Injects water in the intake only during boost and cools temps to about 20 degrees above ambient. Normally after a 1/4 mile pass you will see discharge temps in the 200 degree area, so on a 70 degree day you will see 90 degree discharge temps.

I run 10 psi for 4 years. Never blew a headgasket. To me the aftercooler is not necessary since I have had such luck without it, but the water injection would be nice for hot days so I could get a little more power out of it and keep detonation at bay.

hcracerx

Established Member
Originally posted by mikestoyz
With the aftercooler, it will decrease the boost 1-2 PSI.

This is not true. Air to air coolers tend to lose 1-2psi because of the extensive ducting involved in routing the air down, through, and back up. The Vortech Air to water system, since the charge cooler sits right in line with the discharge ducting, at 10psi you might lose 1/4 of 1psi of boost at the most. You would have to be trying to flow more air than the cooler is capable of flowing before a loss of 1-2psi is even a possibility. I hope this helps clear that up.

hcracerx

Established Member
Well, I assume you have real world experience with this. But you are the first person to ever say this.

You know...I was warned by everybody I work with about making any statement that people are overly opinionated about. I didn't listen, and here we are. I'm not trying to point at anyone and say "I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG". I was just trying to dispel a little bit of misconception with information that was based on tests done by the engineering department at my company on real vehicles. No, I'm not trying to sell the product by posting that information. I just thought I'd share. I thought sharing would be a nice thing to do.

mikestoyz

Established Member
Originally posted by hcracerx
You know...I was warned by everybody I work with about making any statement that people are overly opinionated about. I didn't listen, and here we are. I'm not trying to point at anyone and say "I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG". I was just trying to dispel a little bit of misconception with information that was based on tests done by the engineering department at my company on real vehicles. No, I'm not trying to sell the product by posting that information. I just thought I'd share. I thought sharing would be a nice thing to do.

Oh no, I welcome it. THere are a LOT of internet misconceptions out there. I based my statement on what other mustang people have said about their cars, but who knows...

0-2 psi sounds like a fair answer:thumbsup:

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
This is true that Air-to-Air intercoolers robs boost. But that’s why you change your pulley. Only draw back to that is, the S/C is spinning faster which generates more heat. But the intercooler has no problem overcoming that. Well in my case that is. Paxtons intercooler is said to cost 1.4lbs of boost. Design has a large part in how efficient the cooler is. What works better, I could not tell you. I don't know anything about air to water coolers. Each 1 has there good and bad points. All I can tell you is I think its worth the investment. The car can be tuned to closer tolerences which leads to a more consistent tune. Without the intercooler I did notice a power difference as the car warmed up. Not alot, but probally a few 1/10's if I was racing. This is nologer true with the intercooler. Nobody wants to spend a $1000 or $1500 to buy something them don't need. I don't claim this is. This is something I consider to be the nexted level of supercharging.

hcracerx

Established Member
Oh no, I welcome it. THere are a LOT of internet misconceptions out there. I based my statement on what other mustang people have said about their cars, but who knows...

0-2 psi sounds like a fair answer:thumbsup:

Right on, I'll accept that.:beer:

cobra331

Established Member
Torque!!!

If I had a 32V, I think I would go with a Kenne Bell Blowzilla. The Modulars need some torque down low and a twin screw would put it there and everywhere in your powerband. Plus the Blowzilla can be built upon. I went centrifugal on my 95 cobra because of the torque from my 331. Plus I plan to go smaller pulleys and maybe the T-trim after I'm bored with the pulleys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread