which blower??

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Now i know this is not an easy question but every time i ask a speedshop which blower they recommend it is a completely diferent opionion from the last shop i talked to. I live in Oakland county Mi.
I have talked to pauls high performance and they say Vortech all the way but defineately only put it on with the aftercooler. They are a great shop, well known and liked, installed the mods i have now and i am happy with them.

Greg at detroit speedworks said Paxton 1st, vortech 2nd screw the aftercooler you dont need it. And he has heard of quite a few problems with the ATI kits.

Maximum Performance in Utica says the ATI procharger kit all the way, "Its a more expensive kit but you get what you pay for"

????I'm so lost could anyone please help?????
I'm leanin towards the paxton because it seems the most reliable, not to expensive and Detroit Speedworks is 10 min. from me.
sorry for the long post?
MIkE

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
#1 - you won't need an inter/aftercooler if you run the factory pullie. The only thing it will really do at lower boost levels is give you consistant performance regardless of the ambient temp.

#2 - Vortech and Paxton are bascially identical with slight diferences in impeller design(Paxton being morer efficent by only 2 - 3 rwhp) and the reliability is about the same. However, I have heard quite a few problems with the install of the ATI kit.

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
thanks for the info BOOYAH

on a side note: has anyone heard about the Kenne bell roots style supercharger that is supposed to be out by now for the
96-02 4v.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Kenne bell is best for the stop light warrior but has it's limitations if you want to make some big power. Depends on what you are shooting for in the long run for HP numbers.

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Well for overall drivability I ended up choosing the Vortech w/aftercooler. It is the safest way to make good rwhp numbers on a stock bottom end. BUT that's just my opinion! ;-) ;-)

jeostang46

Established Member
I have Vortech E trim and about to install and paxton air to air cooler. I've had no problems with my setup.

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
WoW! big daddy your making some big #'s
any track times?
I might just wait and save up the extra money and go with the vortech S-trim with aftercooler i havnt heard a bad thing about the kit.
Joestang how much boost do the e-trims run(yours)
Let me know how that solid axle turns out. I am really curious to see what that does for track times.

MIke

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by 01cobrakid
WoW! big daddy your making some big #'s
any track times?
I might just wait and save up the extra money and go with the vortech S-trim with aftercooler i havnt heard a bad thing about the kit.
Joestang how much boost do the e-trims run(yours)
Let me know how that solid axle turns out. I am really curious to see what that does for track times.

MIke

Well on street tires I've run 12.9... with a 1.94 60' and reaction time of .504. I was spinning through first, second and half of third gear! I have some drag radials I'm going to try out November 9th and I'll let you folks know how that goes! ;-) IF my half-shafts hold up!

jeostang46

Established Member
My E trim is pushing 8 psi, once I get the intercooler I will change the pulley and put a powerpipe on and be at 10psi

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by jeostang46
My E trim is pushing 8 psi, once I get the intercooler I will change the pulley and put a powerpipe on and be at 10psi

You know that the powerpipe might give you a couple of lbs of boost right?

mikestoyz

Established Member
Stay away from Procharger!!!

Guy I know has a 01 GT. Put one on, went lean, blew some pistons.
Had it done by Panhandle. Had a chip done there and bigger injectors, etc.

It blew a headgasket because the blower was leaking oil badly.

Lift the intercooler out and quite a bit of oil comes out.
So now the blower goes back to ATI and he has to clean out his whole intake tract and replace the head gasket!

BTW, this isnt a rare event. The seals on these units are horrible and leak quite often!

Peter

Established Member
I like Vortech. They are efficient and last a long time.
I've had mine on for 10,000 miles trouble free.

96 Cobra
Vortech S-trim(stock pulley 10lbs boost)
Anderson power pipe
42 lb injectors
MSD-4 ignition
relocated battery
SHM chip
Aluminum driveshaft
4.10 gears

473 RWHP 409 RWT

rocket5979

Established Member
well man it depends on what you really want to do. either way i would reccomend that you either get a twin screw from knne bell or something or get the vortech centrifugal s/c. the twin screws have a big advantage on both the centrifugal and the roots types, because thye have the best of both worlds. in my opinion roots should only be meant for trucks or someone wanting pulling power. i know the new cobra's have the roots type s/c so i will most likely get flamed for this one. rots have great low end power but they dont make a shit for upper end powerband. and vortech is about the opposite. it doesnt make that much down low but bust to 3500- 4500 rpm and it produces great gains. however the twin screw produces great low end power and great highend power also. either way you go i would steer clear of the roots types for your car( it is just not that efficient IMO, too much heat). vortech s trim would be just fine. 1/4 mile i would say twin screw. top speed longer distance racing go with centrifugal, they make aloooot of boost at the upper rpm range. hope this helps. ok come on 2003 owners lets hear the hatemail. lol. naaaah

Vnomss1

Established Member
Kenne Bell has the Torque available at 2k rpms, and the other's you have to wait for... It's up to you, but I looked at all of the options, and went with the Bell. By the way they don't loose power in the upper end. Centrifugals just make power by RPM and they feel like they are pulling through the RPM band, where the Bell being a roots style is constant boost when you mash the pedal all boost is available. It's all based on throttle position. But just my opinion...

rocket5979

Established Member
Vnomss is right. the twin screw will provide you with much more power than you could ever expect through the power band versus the centrifugal s/c or roots. either way i would not go with the roots. by the way about your post above. the twin screw is really not a roots type charger just to clarify, now it was derived from the roots charger but many would consider it in a different category. roots has the compressor system which is attached to the intake and has the "lobe type" impellers. where as the twin screw is bolted directly in the place of the intake in most instances i have seen and has two screws rotating in differing directions to compress air quicker and cooler. which solves two problems. one you dont have to compress as high of a pressure to keep the pressure by the time the air gets through to the intake and also by not compressing the air as much and recompressing it like a roots has to do the air also stays alooooot cooler than a roots which as alot of people know the cooler the air the denser the air. which means more power due to more compressed air per cubic inch of volume. not neccessarily meant for you Vnomss1 but for others" the twin screw is not really like the roots, that is why it makes more power through the entire rpm band, even though it looks almost identical from the outside." it is my recommendation that if you got the vehicle to mount a twin screw then do it versus the other two you will see such a big difference in performance across all aspects of the board there is really no comparison as a jack of all trades when it comes to types of superchargers. good luck with whatever you decide to get.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Well, you can defeat, some of the properties, of those centrifugals, its all about matching the size of the blower to the engine, just like with turbos, a smaller blower say a novi 1000, will make for a better around town car than the same car with a novi 2000. But on the strip the 2000 will win. Kenne Bell's are awesome-I dont think anyone cant dispute the potential of positive displacement type blowers. But centrifugals have their advantages otherwise they'd not make em. throw in some gears, which everyones already got, and you'll do fine. Try riding in two cars back to back if ya can thats the best way. But there is nothing like that sledgehammer hit commin on at 4 grande, and runnin the tach up to 7+grande.

big john

Established Member
i have one of each the mustang has a saleen 6psi 35000 miles and no props at all the prowler has a novi 1000 6psi with 20000 miles with all aluminum motor it also has been good just alot more to mess with and set up these cars are driven every day winter and summer they both run 1290s on good days but prowler only weighs 2500lbs keep the boost low and they will last also run mobil 1

ForceInjection

Established Member
It all depends on your goal and what you want to achieve with your Stang.

If it’s the Paxton Novi 2000 I would pick it over the Vortech just because the CFM and the head unit is overall just more powerful. Now if it is the Novi 1000 I would go with the Vortech S-trim or T-trim, because the Vortech head unit has better performance stats than the Novi 1000. Now if the Vortech has an aftercooler I would pick that due to the fact that you can run more boost at a safer level. Now if you are just looking for more power and you want to hole shot off the light go with the Kenne Bell…but there are limits to that blower unless you get the blowzilla. The ATI system now is the best bang for your buck. It’s an inexpensive unit that comes with an intercooler, so you will see great performance numbers. ATI is good but the quality is not as good as the Vortech or Paxton. Over all if your vehicle has a stock bottom end you will not want to go above 8-9 psi so I would go with the Vortech unless it’s the Novi 2000. And if the Vortech has an aftercooler I would pick that over the Novi 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread