Which auto is best?

stangfreak

Established Member
The problem is downshifting and hammering the throttle without the sprag catching up. Shifting down a gear must be done while you are off the throttle, then you have to load the sprag back up before you use the throttle again. Otherwise the sprag is freewheeling then you are slamming it with power. Some companies will tell you to not downshift at all while moving lol. A factory trans uses the kickdown to active the intermediate band to help with the downshift. This does not exist in the mvb autos.

Most builders will tell you not to downshift unless under 20-30mph. A reverse mvb is designed to go 1-2-3 not 1-2-3-2.

Interesting. I did not know this. so what if your on the highway and someone wants to run? sorry for the dumb questions lol. we have to slow down to 30 mph or less to down shift.

speedy3remy

Established Member
For 2 years i been running a 4r70w from Lentech, whit Circle D converter triple, its a Strip terminator whit TB and OD good for 1500hp, 2100rpm at 70mph highway use,at the track i get 1.30 in the 60ft... kinda costly but so far so good...cost me 4040$ + 1600$ converter... i will be pushing 1200hp this year since going turbo and i was told not to bother im all good...:) i do beleive they are a bit heavyer then a th400 like 80lbs or so other then that i got nothing to whine about, really happy whit it and im a track guy so ... Cheers :) http://lentechautomatics.com/

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
TH400 hands down unless you absolutely have to have OD. For your power level, 1000+ HP the TH400 is the way to go IMO. With that type of power you cannot be running 26" tire anyway. You will be rolling on 28s on the street and track and probably a 3.27-3.31 gear. So you are good with RPMs on the highway.

A TH400 is more reliable, easier and cheaper to fix, easier to work on and around, more people have the ability to work on it and parts are easier to be had. Cheaper to build as well.

The 4R is going to have to be rebuilt ever season if you race it. Then if you have no local people or ability to do it yourself, you are shipping it out. Do you want to ship your trans to Lentec in Canada? Most likely not, just the cost of that alone will be good blow to the wallet.

Basically with an auto trans like others have mentioned you do not want to downshift when on the throttle. There is no need for it. If you want to roll race someone on the street. Slow down, no throttle, downshift, hit the gas. Its very very easy.

Also for the guys running 8s with FB 4Rs "not having a problem" is kind of far fetched. If they are tracking the car alot then those transmissions had to have been gone through to be refreshed. If they made 1 8 second pass and the rest of the time the cars are cruised to car shows, yes of course it is going to live. If you are going to be tracking the car a bunch, the TH400 is byfar the best choice in cost and reliability.

I had a TH400 in my Cobra, when I sold it the new owner put in an FB 4R MVB, so that is what is in it now when I bought it back. It is a decent trans, but I am not a huge fan of the hokie poke you have to do to drive it. Extra switches, buttons and relays just to drive the thing, buttons to lock the converter, have to hit a button to put it in reverse, there is a ton more wiring and a whole relay pack that does a few things based on if you want to use your Transbrake, reverse, downshifting etc, just more parts to fail.

The TH400 just shift and go! The only button you need is the transbrake :)

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Interesting. I did not know this. so what if your on the highway and someone wants to run? sorry for the dumb questions lol. we have to slow down to 30 mph or less to down shift.

If you have a TH400 I doubt you will be doing much highway cruising and if you were already expecting to race you would probably already be in 2. There seems to be a lot of confusion by people about "Streetable".

So far on this site I've had multiple PM me about builds. Most of them want to make 1000+rwhp many want to make 1200+ and then they talk about not wanting cages, that they don't want solid motor mounts/motor plates (due to NVH), that they want to keep OD for cruising, that they don't want to run 28" tires because it wouldn't fit with how slammed the car is, that they don't want to remove the IRS but they have FTBR bushings, that they will run 18 inch wheels with R888's incase they get caught in the rain, that they will not remove PS/PB, that they "are trying to do it on a budget", that they want cool sounding cams, they want to keep the 6 speed because autos are gay and a host of other random things that make no sense.

If you REALLY make 1000+rwhp and some random idiot tries to race do you really need to down shift and risk anything by racing him? Why not just roll onto third a bit? It's not a 400rwhp car that you can mask on whenever you want you have to realize that a car at this level is a risk everytime you blast on it. Not just for the engine which will wear but on you. At that power level it would be easy to spin and launch yourself in a ditch. I say the same thing every time someone PM's me asking about a "street/daily" build that makes 1krwhp. Don't. Making 500-600rwhp and just drive the living shit out of it.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
If you have a TH400 I doubt you will be doing much highway cruising and if you were already expecting to race you would probably already be in 2. There seems to be a lot of confusion by people about "Streetable".

So far on this site I've had multiple PM me about builds. Most of them want to make 1000+rwhp many want to make 1200+ and then they talk about not wanting cages, that they don't want solid motor mounts/motor plates (due to NVH), that they want to keep OD for cruising, that they don't want to run 28" tires because it wouldn't fit with how slammed the car is, that they don't want to remove the IRS but they have FTBR bushings, that they will run 18 inch wheels with R888's incase they get caught in the rain, that they will not remove PS/PB, that they "are trying to do it on a budget", that they want cool sounding cams, they want to keep the 6 speed because autos are gay and a host of other random things that make no sense.

If you REALLY make 1000+rwhp and some random idiot tries to race do you really need to down shift and risk anything by racing him? Why not just roll onto third a bit? It's not a 400rwhp car that you can mask on whenever you want you have to realize that a car at this level is a risk everytime you blast on it. Not just for the engine which will wear but on you. At that power level it would be easy to spin and launch yourself in a ditch. I say the same thing every time someone PM's me asking about a "street/daily" build that makes 1krwhp. Don't. Making 500-600rwhp and just drive the living shit out of it.

I couldn't have said it better myself and get the same questions asked.

People want to put down 1000-1300rwhp on an IRS/6spd and R888s. Why? To be some sort of instagram famous person when they post a dyno sheet? @ that level alot needs to happen and most people just do not get it, or what it takes. They watch too many youtube videos of cars making crazy power on the dyno, you here about the car once and then its gone, the car is broken, it runs 10s @ 150 because its not setup right etc etc.

I run mid 9s on 590rwhp on a street car and pump gas :)

If you are trying to truly daily a 1000rwhp car, you are on crack.

stangfreak

Established Member
TH400 hands down unless you absolutely have to have OD. For your power level, 1000+ HP the TH400 is the way to go IMO. With that type of power you cannot be running 26" tire anyway. You will be rolling on 28s on the street and track and probably a 3.27-3.31 gear. So you are good with RPMs on the highway.

A TH400 is more reliable, easier and cheaper to fix, easier to work on and around, more people have the ability to work on it and parts are easier to be had. Cheaper to build as well.

The 4R is going to have to be rebuilt ever season if you race it. Then if you have no local people or ability to do it yourself, you are shipping it out. Do you want to ship your trans to Lentec in Canada? Most likely not, just the cost of that alone will be good blow to the wallet.

Basically with an auto trans like others have mentioned you do not want to downshift when on the throttle. There is no need for it. If you want to roll race someone on the street. Slow down, no throttle, downshift, hit the gas. Its very very easy.

Also for the guys running 8s with FB 4Rs "not having a problem" is kind of far fetched. If they are tracking the car alot then those transmissions had to have been gone through to be refreshed. If they made 1 8 second pass and the rest of the time the cars are cruised to car shows, yes of course it is going to live. If you are going to be tracking the car a bunch, the TH400 is byfar the best choice in cost and reliability.

I had a TH400 in my Cobra, when I sold it the new owner put in an FB 4R MVB, so that is what is in it now when I bought it back. It is a decent trans, but I am not a huge fan of the hokie poke you have to do to drive it. Extra switches, buttons and relays just to drive the thing, buttons to lock the converter, have to hit a button to put it in reverse, there is a ton more wiring and a whole relay pack that does a few things based on if you want to use your Transbrake, reverse, downshifting etc, just more parts to fail.

The TH400 just shift and go! The only button you need is the transbrake :)

dave. I know the TH400 is stronger. But you know aj had the 4r with the 2.8 mammoth, made god knows how many passes on that, then went twin turbo, made 1100rwhp with the same transmission and it never had an issue. aj's car made so many passes on the track with that transmission. lasurdos mach 1 as well. James did freshen up the transmission because he wanted to. Maybe they got lucky dave, I dont know. I saw those cars weekly and spoke to them about that transmission hundreds of times. Yes the TH400 is strong. but its not far fetched when a 4r is running strong. Freddy brown has the 4r on lock.

stangfreak

Established Member

I undersstand the whole 1000hp thing and the streetability aspect of these builds. I was just asking a simple question on how a sprag breaks. sorry for asking dude.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I undersstand the whole 1000hp thing and the streetability aspect of these builds. I was just asking a simple question on how a sprag breaks. sorry for asking dude.

You are fine to ask, I wasn't insulting. I was just pointing out that a lot of people blur the lines of "streetable" and "daily". You can't have your cake and eat it too. That's all I was saying.

speedy3remy

Established Member
FFS TH400 GM/ 4r70w Ford... its a Cobra NOT a GT, why not go whit Ford part since they can handle the Power and its a bolt on job kinda nothing special compare to the fiting you need to do whit the TH400... Best i can say is Talk to the tranny builder those guys know there job,they will for sure point out some good and bad things about there product,After all WE are Only Customer NOT builder...!!! :) and btw i guess im on crask since Yes i will run my 1200hp in the street :):)

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
FFS TH400 GM/ 4r70w Ford... its a Cobra NOT a GT, why not go whit Ford part since they can handle the Power and its a bolt on job kinda nothing special compare to the fiting you need to do whit the TH400... Best i can say is Talk to the tranny builder those guys know there job,they will for sure point out some good and bad things about there product,After all WE are Only Customer NOT builder...!!! :) and btw i guess im on crask since Yes i will run my 1200hp in the street :):)

First off, I do not even know what you are trying to say, but I will try to decode it.

I did not say you cannot run your 1200hp car on the street. I said you are on crack if you try to TRULY DAILY drive your 1200hp car on the street. There is a big difference in what I meant.

So what if the car is a Ford or a Cobra or a GT what does that have to do with anything? The TH400 is hands down more reliable than a 4R and cheaper to build. Next thing, it is not any harder to install a TH400 in a Cobra than it is a 4R. Its actually very very simple. It bolts right in and is easier to work with.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
dave. I know the TH400 is stronger. But you know aj had the 4r with the 2.8 mammoth, made god knows how many passes on that, then went twin turbo, made 1100rwhp with the same transmission and it never had an issue. aj's car made so many passes on the track with that transmission. lasurdos mach 1 as well. James did freshen up the transmission because he wanted to. Maybe they got lucky dave, I dont know. I saw those cars weekly and spoke to them about that transmission hundreds of times. Yes the TH400 is strong. but its not far fetched when a 4r is running strong. Freddy brown has the 4r on lock.

How many passes on those power levels?

A 4R needs to get refreshed every season if you are racing it.

speedy3remy

Established Member
Really!! So what if the car is a Ford or a Cobra or a GT what does that have to do with anything? FFS why not trow a 2jz in there ...what a joke!! those car are precious ! made for only 2 years PURE FORD POWER are you that Cheap..!??

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Really!! So what if the car is a Ford or a Cobra or a GT what does that have to do with anything? FFS why not trow a 2jz in there ...what a joke!! those car are precious ! made for only 2 years PURE FORD POWER are you that Cheap..!??

It's a Mustang. Not to mention if you've already removed the blower and 6 speed who cares what else is in there? The T-56 was used in GM cars and Dodge. Better take it out too.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

Guess what, it is my car and my money, so I mod it the way I want.

Next, yes they were only made for 2 years. However, the car is not going to be worth anything unless it sat stock for 30 years in a bubble to be sold @ Barret Jackson. So I could not care any less the value of my car. The car got an SRA less than 6mo of owning it new in 2003 when I bought it. A few months later I was sponsored by Procharger testing their kits. Needless to say, I do not care about the value of my car in the future or leaving it stock because its Precious. Thanks for telling me how to spend my money and what I should do with my car because its a Ford lolololol

Yes I am VERY cheap. That is why my daily driver is a $70k+ car.

I am not going to argue with you about if you should mod and not mod a Cobra because it is "precious." There are other threads for that nonsense bickering that I do not care at all about. If you want to complain about people modding their super duper rare Cobra, then start a thread on it. There are already 1000s.

This thread is about transmissions. So why don't we get it back on track and talk about the real topic for the people that have REAL experience with them.

speedy3remy

Established Member
Since you dont see my point alright then ...For a Daily driver that goes at the track a few time Go whit the 4r70w build whit OD ,TB, and lock up...... if you run mostly at the track go whit the th400 since its Cheaper to rebuild ...!!! happy now im on track ...:):)

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Since you dont see my point alright then ...For a Daily driver that goes at the track a few time Go whit the 4r70w build whit OD ,TB, and lock up...... if you run mostly at the track go whit the th400 since its Cheaper to rebuild ...!!! happy now im on track ...:):)

Ugggfhhhh my head hurts.

How much power does your car make? How fast have you gone in the 1/4? So you are saying you DAILY drive your car correct?

speedy3remy

Established Member
Ugggfhhhh my head hurts.

How much power does your car make? How fast have you gone in the 1/4? So you are saying you DAILY drive your car correct?

Man your 1 dum**** ...not going into a war of words whit you dum**** :):)....For the guy that start this treads i ran 134 pass in the last 2 years 90% of those run i was in the 10.30 to 9.80 whit a 1.30 60ft i got a bunch of vids just check them out,i got a 4r whit TB OD and lock up and did around 4000km as a daily stock in traffic and all never had any issue whit that tranny... temp never went higher then 185 so as a daily yes i would say go whit a 4R but if you mostly drag your cobra go whit a th400 or a powerglide...:) o and yea i got around 800hp :) Cheers!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Man your 1 dum**** ...not going into a war of words whit you dum**** :):)....For the guy that start this treads i ran 134 pass in the last 2 years 90% of those run i was in the 10.30 to 9.80 whit a 1.30 60ft i got a bunch of vids just check them out,i got a 4r whit TB OD and lock up and did around 4000km as a daily stock in traffic and all never had any issue whit that tranny... temp never went higher then 185 so as a daily yes i would say go whit a 4R but if you mostly drag your cobra go whit a th400 or a powerglide...:) o and yea i got around 800hp :) Cheers!

Calls me dumb, but cannot even spell dumb, with or you're just to name a few. I am done replying to you until you can form a sentence and stop talking like you are texting.

Users who are viewing this thread