Which aftermarket MAF (draw through) for 4.6 DOHC at 17-18psi centri blown?

SIZEMOREMK

Established Member
I currently have a lighting MAF sensor (just the sensor without a housing), affixed directly into my 4" air intake pipe. It is mounted to a flange welded onto the pipe. I also have a MAFia. This setup was like this when I got the car and I never liked it...

I would like to go with an aftermarket MAF but not sure what way to go?

BA5000 slot style welded directly in the tube?
BA5000 with some other MAF housing?
BA3000?
BA2800?
Pro-M?

Setup is 4.6 DOHC @17-18psi centri, draw through, with methanol injection.

Car previously made a very optimistic 515ish rwhp on a mustang dyno; this was at 13-14psi of boost and 20ish degrees of timing. I say optimistic because I have heard others say this guys dyno reads higher than other dynos around here. Also doesn't "feel" that much better than the 415ish rwhp I had before the build started...

Today my tuner got to tuning on it again and believes he has done about as much as he can do with the current MAF setup. He either pegs it, or can't get it to run and idle right after turning the MAFia up more.

So I'd appreciate your MAF suggestions...

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
Pmas hpxe slot maf, keep all the inlet piping the same diameter and place it in a blow through ideally in the center of a straight pupe right before the throttle body

robert presti

Established Member
What kind of load numbers are you seeing? There seems to be a lot of different approaches after you exceed certain limits. That's a question I have for a car that will exceed 200% load.

Last edited:

robert presti

Established Member
I'll add the tuner can have the computer ignore the MAF after a certain point and not give up resolution at lower speeds. This isn't the best way as you lose ability to actually monitor the air density and are now running alpha n in the unmonitored segment of the MAF. My situation is not that the BA5000 can't monitor the air flow, but that the engine will exceed 200% load far before that .

01yellercobra

Established Member
Pmas hpxe slot maf, keep all the inlet piping the same diameter and place it in a blow through ideally in the center of a straight pipe right before the throttle body

What he said. I ran a BA5000 in a 3.5" pipe on my centri set up. I could've stepped down on the MAF because I was only hitting mid 700's on the MAF count. But driveability was pretty good. I made the switch to blow through years ago and will never run a centri in draw through again.

SIZEMOREMK

Established Member
I'll add the tuner can have the computer ignore the MAF after a certain point and not give up resolution at lower speeds. This isn't the best way as you lose ability to actually monitor the air density and are now running alpha n in the unmonitored segment of the MAF. My situation is not that the BA5000 can't monitor the air flow, but that the engine will exceed 200% load far before that .

I am not a tuner, though I have bought and read two of the more popular tuning books and have purchased the PRP. I was hoping that my tuner would at a minimum get the car to run half decent and have the MAF Xfer mapped out pretty good before I began tweaking anything. Not sure I'll get that.

So on the last session, the MAF counts got to the upper 900+ range but had also maxed out the load. Then he adjusted the MAFia and rescaled the injetor stuff and it got a bit better; but still didn't like where the MAF counts were sitting, and still maxed out the load I think. He then tried another step on the MAFia and tweaked a little more then couldn't even get the car to idle before declaring we needed a better MAF arrangement.

I asked the same question of Don Lasota, as I had just purchased the PRP package from him; he responded that in this situation he would recommend the BA3000. In the interest of moving things along, I went ahead an Amazon primed one of them. I won't be surprised if I end up revisiting the MAF again...

decipha

Established Member
if you hit 200 load you should go double the engine size SARCHG so you cut load in half and wont clip it

in all the 03-04 cobras I tune i always set the engine size to 562 cubic inches (281*2) and dial it in from there

you can download the custom tuning software along with the AMZ3 base cal on my website for free, I recommend downloading it and checking it out, youll see exactly how its setup

robert presti

Established Member
if you hit 200 load you should go double the engine size SARCHG so you cut load in half and wont clip it

in all the 03-04 cobras I tune i always set the engine size to 562 cubic inches (281*2) and dial it in from there

you can download the custom tuning software along with the AMZ3 base cal on my website for free, I recommend downloading it and checking it out, youll see exactly how its setup
You have to scale other things ??? It is my understanding just saying the engine is larger will reduce load, but timing tables and others will be off if load isn't correct. SCT pushed this if using Advantage 3.

Last edited:

robert presti

Established Member
I am not a tuner, though I have bought and read two of the more popular tuning books and have purchased the PRP. I was hoping that my tuner would at a minimum get the car to run half decent and have the MAF Xfer mapped out pretty good before I began tweaking anything. Not sure I'll get that.

So on the last session, the MAF counts got to the upper 900+ range but had also maxed out the load. Then he adjusted the MAFia and rescaled the injetor stuff and it got a bit better; but still didn't like where the MAF counts were sitting, and still maxed out the load I think. He then tried another step on the MAFia and tweaked a little more then couldn't even get the car to idle before declaring we needed a better MAF arrangement.

I asked the same question of Don Lasota, as I had just purchased the PRP package from him; he responded that in this situation he would recommend the BA3000. In the interest of moving things along, I went ahead an Amazon primed one of them. I won't be surprised if I end up revisiting the MAF again...
I'm fairly new to this as well. There is a way to deal with the draw through delay. I don't know what it is however. One of the reasons I might go to the BA5000. I have a BA3000 in a blow through configuration might not be clocked right. I also have 3 inch piping to the engine and not 3.5 the MAF is in.

cbrown9064

Established Member
I'm fairly new to this as well. There is a way to deal with the draw through delay. I don't know what it is however. One of the reasons I might go to the BA5000. I have a BA3000 in a blow through configuration might not be clocked right. I also have 3 inch piping to the engine and not 3.5 the MAF is in.

I don't understand the problem? Just get a slot maf aluminum bung and weld it in a section of straight 3" tubing. If you can get it in the center of a 8" or longer straight section, that would be ideal.

Last edited:

robert presti

Established Member
I don't understand the problem? Just get a slot maf aluminum bung and weld it in a section of straight 3" tubing. If you can get it in the center of a 8" or longer straight section, that would be ideal.

I know that would be ideal. However I have something that could be close to working. The car should exceed 200% load but not by much and seems in the high rpm. That said I have no idea what is going on in that tune. My thoughts are to go to the BA5000 and scale load, or just have the car go to the load with failed MAF table at a certain point staying conservative.

Users who are viewing this thread