Which 3M double sided tape for our spoilers?

M4_ELITE

Established Member
It's time to replace the 3rd brake light, and I'm wondering which 3M tape to use on the spoiler? The old tape is coming out, is also squashed in some areas which is very common. So which tape should I use? I don't want it to be too strong as I'm sure the 3rd brake light will go again and I'll have to remove everything in the future.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
you don't have to remove the spoiler to replace the brake light... jsyk

but if you are looking at replacing the tape anyway... i do not know the answer to the tape

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I used single sided tape I got from a place which installs covers on pickup truck beds. It has worked real well for the last 7 or 8 years.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
i used foam tape that way it doesn't stick and can easily be changed when need be. so far, on for (3) years and holding strong!!

M4_ELITE

Established Member
you don't have to remove the spoiler to replace the brake light... jsyk

but if you are looking at replacing the tape anyway... i do not know the answer to the tape

Ahh thanks you are correct. I took the 3rd brake light out a while back and the wiring went deep in-between the spoiler + trunk, which made me believe I had to remove the spoiler to take the 3rd brake light out. Today I took the light out (which was a pain) pulled the wire pretty hard and a few inches of it were squashed between spoiler and trunk. Once that came loose the rubber gasket things came out pretty easily and I replaced the light fairly quickly. Seems like I will look into re-taping the spoiler another time :)

M4_ELITE

Established Member
I used single sided tape I got from a place which installs covers on pickup truck beds. It has worked real well for the last 7 or 8 years.

i used foam tape that way it doesn't stick and can easily be changed when need be. so far, on for (3) years and holding strong!!

Thanks for the responses fellas, I'll be looking for some foam single sided tape in the near future!

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
how about taking it off i'm scared to brake it by pulling it and don't wanna try and cut it out to wreck paint on trunk, don't care if i wreck it on spoiler going to re-paint it.

shurur

Established Member
No matter what tape you chose to use..it is important to tape of the edges where the tape edges meet the surface and silcone the actual 3M tape edges from soaking up water, getting wet and eventually losing the sticky...I use permatex.

If no one is going to see the edges..then you don't need to tape off before sealing the edges of the double sided tape.

I did this on my shaded window visors to protect the 3M tape from getting wet..I also did this on my rear window louvers mounting hardware.

Last edited:

M4_ELITE

Established Member
I bought 3M auto super strength molding tape #03614 (.5" x 15') for $10 from Autozone. The tape itself is grey (removable liner is red) and double sided and pretty sticky. I'll be using it for the spoiler and keeping HID ballasts in place.

Users who are viewing this thread