Which 14 inch brakes do most go with

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
In the process of buying rims and trying to figure out which brakes to go with. My car is 700 + rwhp and stock brakes are shit and fade after one hard stop.

Primarily looking at two brands wilwood and Baer.

the wilwood 14 inch 6p is nice and I have been looking at the tce rear kit and he can make the aero 6 caliper work on our car as well for the front which is a bigger caliper and pad. So wilwood is definitely a contender..

I also like the Baer brakes and the custom colors are a huge plus. Seem to be tad more expensive and They don't have a rear kit but u can get a 13 inch upgrade for the rear.

Any thoughts about these two kits?

Would likely do polished calipers or matte black

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Have you looked at Full Tilt Boogie's offerings? Not sure how in-depth you're looking to go, but they're definitely worth checking out in my opinion. fulltiltboogieracing.com

94slowbra1

Established Member
I personally run the 14" brembo kit, same one that FTBR sells. I know you are looking at different kits but the biggest thing I van suggest is getting a 2pc rotor. Yeah it's more but there is a big performance difference.
I ran baer 6p calipers on a 2pc 13" and it was ok, the brembo it's much better. I understand wanting a rear matching kit, you can always use the stock caliper and relocation bracket with a 13" rotor.
Just to give you an idea, these are the brembo calipers vs the baer 6p calipers
IMG_20160825_162520050.jpg
IMG_20160825_162430557.jpg

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Brembo is hard to find info on kits and replacement parts as well.
How much better were the brembos?

Bear and wilwood are easy to get parts for.... That's why I'm looking at them

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

1320goat

Established Member
I've had many different big brake kits. The best all around caliper for me was the Baer 6S monoblock caliper.

94slowbra1

Established Member

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple
Al the parts I have needed have come from girodiscs. Hard for me to truly tell, when I went to the brembos I also upped to 14" rotors. But I will say the brembo stuff is much more robust than the baer parts.
And yes the baer 6s is a much better caliper than the 6p

1996slowbra

Established Member

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Im in the same boat, leaning towards the will-woods since I wont see a lot of track on these, mostly street strip, also I want something that is going to give me better pedal feel than the stock brakes.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Why did you feel the 6s caliper was better?
Al the parts I have needed have come from girodiscs. Hard for me to truly tell, when I went to the brembos I also upped to 14" rotors. But I will say the brembo stuff is much more robust than the baer parts.
And yes the baer 6s is a much better caliper than the 6p

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

94slowbra1

Established Member
The 6s is a one piece forged caliper, stronger with less deflection. It also uses a 1.25" rotor to the 6p 1.1" rotor.
It all depends on what you want and need. If you want something that looks better and performs better than the 6p/wilwood is good. If you want the best stopping look into the brembo or stoptech. I got a deal I couldnt pass up on my brembo kit, otherwise I'd still be rocking the baer set up. I am very happy with my brembo gt kit

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been wanting a big brake kit for a few years now. I like the custom color choices Baer offers. But some say Baer isn't much better than stock brakes?

I keep thinking the AZ. Copper, just not sure.

79da95a1b3ad758331194e55a9bdfc41.jpg
3b89c5ffed641d4c9046ec05e2b72e60.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

94slowbra1

Established Member
Dont choose a brake just because of the color. Any good powder shop can get you anything you want. I've rebuilt every caliper I've had due to getting the power coated.
Read ^^^^. I've given my opinion on different systems. Stoptech and brembo get the job done, baer looks the part. Just my opinion here but that's what I have found. My 6p set up was nice but I realized how much I was leaving on the table when I switched out to the brembo set up. Stoptech specs are almost identical to brembo I believe.
And yes Brady, the arizona copper is a great color!

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
94slowbra1
What do you mean a lot was left on the table?

So why do you say the brembo are much better? Do you stop 5 feet shorter or 20 feet shorter than your Baer set up. From what I know big brakes don't allow you to stop much shorter but they fade less. Did you have fade with your Baer brakes after a few stops?

I'm at the point that I will have fade if I stomp on the brakes once. Which in a 700 plus hp car is a no go.

Dont choose a brake just because of the color. Any good powder shop can get you anything you want. I've rebuilt every caliper I've had due to getting the power coated.
Read ^^^^. I've given my opinion on different systems. Stoptech and brembo get the job done, baer looks the part. Just my opinion here but that's what I have found. My 6p set up was nice but I realized how much I was leaving on the table when I switched out to the brembo set up. Stoptech specs are almost identical to brembo I believe.
And yes Brady, the arizona copper is a great color!

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
94slowbra1

So why do you say the brembo are much better? Do you stop 5 feet shorter or 20 feet shorter than your Baer set up. From what I know big brakes don't allow you to stop much shorter but they fade less. Did you have fade with your Baer brakes after a few stops?

I'm at the point that I will have fade if I stomp on the brakes once. Which in a 700 plus hp car is a no go.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Have you tried different pads? That would most likely solve the fade issue.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Yes I have it all, the only thing left is to toss the stock brakes in the trash,
Non of this works for a car with 700 plus hp.

Mm stainless lines, hawk street strip pads, drilled and slotted power stop rotors, upgraded brake fluid. This is front and rear. And tires are stuck to the road their is no sliding.

Brakes work fine when cruising around town. When you need to stand on them they don't work and have failed me twice.

Have you tried different pads? That would most likely solve the fade issue.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

94slowbra1

Established Member
94slowbra1

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple
I'd be lying to you if I said I had measurable data between all the set ups. All I know is after I broke in both set ups, baer and brembo, the brembos grabbed much harder. The hotter they got the harder they grab. I honestly never felt fade with the baer set up either.
You said you have these things already but good fluid, good pads and stainless lines will make a world if difference on any brake set up

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Some good points. I changed out the brake fluid maybe two years ago. It made a world of difference. I run hawk ceramic pads with slotted rotors.

I'm around 700 rwhp, luckily I haven't had to stand on the brakes, so I can't comment on that.

I didn't realize that STOP TEC was a decent brand either. I have been looking at ftbr kits to.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread