Where's this go? transmission question

Ante_Up

Established Member
Hey, doing a tranny filter/fluid change in my wife's '00 GT and have a part that I can't figure out where it goes. It's yellow, kind of mushroom shaped with an o-ring around the bigger end, it was laying in pan with filter when I pulled it. thanks

spike_africa

Established Member
Its a plug that when new ford put in the dip stick tube to keep crap from falling in the tranny. when they put the dip stick in and fill it with fluid it pushes it into the pan. You don't reuse it as its thrown away.

jfsram

Established Member
I've visited 2 car assembly plants. The LH cars from Chrysler and F150 from Ford. They make these cars at a rate of 1 in less than 60 seconds. Not that I agree with it but things like leaving that plug in the pan to save them time makes more sense.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Our assembly time is every 3 min and 20+ seconds but plant 2 is 90 seconds. The reason behind the plug is, the transmission is made at one place, the motor another, and the actual car assembly may be somewhere else. They can ship a finished and filled trans to store it for later use. We assembly the M-Class and the GL suv's in plant one, plant two also builds the M-Class but also builds the GST [Grand Sport Tourer]. The motors and transmissions come from Germany with a tag indicating exactly which vehicle they will go in and they are only to be used in said car. We only keep an hour or 2 of inventory so they are warehoused until they are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread