Where's my power????? Need Help!!!!!

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Back ground of the car:
I have a 99 Cobra with an 03 Cobra shortblock, Ported/Polish 99 C-heads, SHM Blower cams, comp cams valve springs, Stage 4 steggy, 2.93 upper, 6lb metco lower, SCT BA2400, 60lb injectors, 03 tank and pumps, KB 40 amp Bap, JLT high boost CAI, Billetflow TB and plenum, BBK LT's, catted H-pipe, LFP Dual pass HE, LFP IC resovior, Evenflow Head cooling mod, Canton 10qt oil pan, ARP head studs, V-spec T56, solid rear, 4.30's ect....

Problem:
I took my car to RET for Greg to dynotune it, first off let me say that Greg and his staff are awsome and that there customer is excellent!!!! He is very knowledgable and helpful but I ran into a problem and need extra help/suggestions. With the above mods on 91 octane, 19 degrees of timing and 11.7 A/F across the board I made on 368rwhp/380ish tq. I was expecting low 500's:shrug: My MAF counts are in the 900's and my pumps were pegging, so we know it's getting the fuel/air to make the power, but we can't figure out why it's not making the power. We also verified that it was making boost which it is, in fact it's making 18psi at WOT and dropping slighty to 15-16 after 6k. I need help!! I did a compression test and here are the results, this was done with the motor cold:

Front of engine

145 150
140 140
140 140
140 135

Please provide any ideas, I hope Greg will post up my dyno sheet and numbers.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
check the cam timing. its a pain, but if its off, its hard to detect, other than low compression and no power. ask Steeda30 (i think thats his SN) about his. had a brand new shortblock built, only to dyno it and loose a ton of power.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
03InThe11s said:
check the cam timing. its a pain, but if its off, its hard to detect, other than low compression and no power. ask Steeda30 (i think thats his SN) about his. had a brand new shortblock built, only to dyno it and loose a ton of power.

The cams weren't degreed but with the woodruff key and cam marking I thought there was only one way to install them without an adjustable cam spocket. I could see 10-20rwhp with degreeing but not 150rwhp. If it was off that bad I would assume it would have PTV issues and/or not run.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
well, your right, if they were marked and reinstalled properly, there shouldnt be that big of a loss. however, one thing that led me to believe cams might be the problem is your boost at high rpms. most will drop off to around 10-11s or so (my steg. ported blower with a 4lbs lower and 2.76 upper only makes 10) at redline. so i was thinking there might be a restriction on the intake side.

another option would be to try another dyno. my car made 377/364 on a portable dynojet one day. me, thinking something was wrong, took it to my tuner the the next day and with no changes to the car, it made 477/464. we figured the portable unit had the wrong corrections punched in.

Last edited:

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Ok update, I had a leakdown test done on my motor and the results were
2-3% across the board. The motor and valves are good. I think the cam timing is off or maybe the SHM cams are just not working for my car.

Users who are viewing this thread