Where to install wideband o2 bung on stock exhaust setup?

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Did some searching and found plenty install pics/advice for people with longtubes and o/r x/h but didn't see anything for stock manifolds and stock catted exhaust. Where should the bung for the sensor be welded in? Pre-cat? After cat? Any help and info is appreciated as always. Car is an '07.

Thanks,

J.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I put mine on the drivers side right after the cat. Bj said what little difference in reading would only be tenth or so. There really was no other place with the cat in there to get the right angle.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I will be attempting to install a new O2 sensor on the driver's side, pre-cat at the 10 o'clock position. I inspected the area a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it will fit. That position lines up perfectly with a corner on the body, giving an extra inch or so of clearance.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I put mine on the drivers side right after the cat. Bj said what little difference in reading would only be tenth or so. There really was no other place with the cat in there to get the right angle.

As long as there isn't too big a difference in readings I think that would be the easiest location to install it. Im assuming it reads a smidge to the lean side?

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I will be attempting to install a new O2 sensor on the driver's side, pre-cat at the 10 o'clock position. I inspected the area a couple of weeks ago and it looks like it will fit. That position lines up perfectly with a corner on the body, giving an extra inch or so of clearance.

Going to take a look at that area in the morning, thanks for the response.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member

It would not fit pre-cat at the 10 o'clock position on the driver's side as I thought (without slight modification to the pipe). The only place it would fit above the 9 and 3 o'clock position is directly in line with the upper mid-pipe flange bolt, which positions the sensor perfectly between the body and transmission with plenty of clearance on all sides. With a 1/2" tall bung installed, you can still get to the exhaust flange bolt with a socket, swivel, and extension. Also, you have easy access to the sensor for installation/replacement with a 22mm combination wrench.

With over 30k miles on my car and having used SCT, FRPP ProCal, and now Lund tunes, my stock cats are still in great shape. A/F ratio is not too lean or too rich.

IMG_1 edit.jpg

IMG_2 edit.jpg

IMG_3 edit.jpg

IMG_4 edit.jpg

IMG_5 edit.jpg

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
It would not fit pre-cat at the 10 o'clock position on the driver's side as I thought (without slight modification to the pipe). The only place it would fit above the 9 and 3 o'clock position is directly in line with the upper mid-pipe flange bolt, which positions the sensor perfectly between the body and transmission with plenty of clearance on all sides. With a 1/2" tall bung installed, you can still get to the exhaust flange bolt with a socket, swivel, and extension. Also, you have easy access to the sensor for installation/replacement with a 22mm combination wrench.

With over 30k miles on my car and having used SCT, FRPP ProCal, and now Lund tunes, my stock cats are still in great shape. A/F ratio is not too lean or too rich.

Thanks for the updating with the pics! Im sure that's going to be a big help to a lot of people.

I had VMP turn off my rear 02's and im using the drivers side bung for the time being. If I end up leaving the stock pipe in for some reason, ill deffinately be referencing your post for help.

Im wanting to install long tubes and either a hi flow catted mid pipe or just a catless, and decided to do it this way for now.

Good job and thanks for the help!

:beer:

jml1521

Established Member

View attachment 33013

View attachment 33014

View attachment 33015

View attachment 33016

View attachment 33017
What type of welding is required? Mig or Tig

Users who are viewing this thread