Where to get clutch alignment tool?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I need a 1-1/8", 26 spline, clutch alignment tool with a 0.57" diameter end. This fits our cars when installing a 26 spline clutch plate. I have tried all the local auto stores and searched on line to no avail. I have used the input shaft in the past but I don't want to take it out of the tranny just for this. Any help would be appreciated.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Use whatever sized socket will fit tight in the disc hole, then eye it up.

You only need an alignment tool when doing twin disc clutches.

The socket method works.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Thats cool, go for it, but just for a giggle, try what I suggested and let me know if it works for you.

while you are tightening down on the pressure plate and freezing the clutch plate in place yer eyeball and whatever socket fits will do it too.

I have used a proper plastic 26 spline tool and a billet aluminum one Doug made and the socket way. all of them got-r-dun, good luck bro.

dougwg

Established Member
can't hardly go wrong for the 16 bucks they want for that tool... I say get it

neckdemon

Established Member
i don't know if this will help but......when putting a specII clutch on my fox body i had to use the clutch tool they gave me. which was actually a clutch tool for a chevy. the splines were fine but the nub that fits into the pilot bearing was a little bit too thin. i wrapped some electrical tape around it till it was the exact fit. worked great. i belive spec wa sin the process of making the right cltuch tool at the time. now i'm not sure if the pilot bearings are the same size on these newer mod engines or not, but i just figured i'd throw it out there in case it will help.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I used one of those the first time I put a clutch in. Instead of the tape, I squared off the end with a file and stuck a socket of the right diameter to fit the pilot bearing on the end. It worked until the end broke off and the socket was stuck way inside the pilot bearing. It turns out the plastic alignment tools are hollow on the end and there was nothing left after I squared it off. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread