Where should i buy my TOB and pilot bearings for clutch install

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Ok well I think i have decided on the 03/04 11 inch clutch kit from ford racing but eveyrone always reccomends timikin (spelling?) bearings and I dont know where to get them or how much they will cost. The ford kit comes w/ a TOB and the ford pilot bearing is about $8. Should i use these or upgrade. I am replacing this clutch because of the stupid TOB so i want a bearing that will last.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
How much is the 11" Clutch setting you back,my TOB is on it's way out also.So i'm going to be doing this soon to,plus rebuilding my crappy T-45...

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Timken is plastic with teflon liner. If you are going to stomp on it it will NOT last. I've seen these things eat s*it. If you ask me get the ford steel/metal TOB and pilot bearing & order the LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit so the TOB will not sit on the PP Fingers. This will give you a long lasting and not to mention STRONG TOB.

http://www.ldcchicago.com/products_CK.htm

On yeah one more thing. You should invest on a Firewall adjuster, & a quadrant to replace the plastic one. Money well spent.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
RoadZOmbie said:
Timken is plastic with teflon liner. If you are going to stomp on it it will NOT last. I've seen these things eat s*it. If you ask me get the ford steel/metal TOB and pilot bearing & order the LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit so the TOB will not sit on the PP Fingers. This will give you a long lasting and not to mention STRONG TOB.

http://www.ldcchicago.com/products_CK.htm

On yeah one more thing. You should invest on a Firewall adjuster, & a quadrant to replace the plastic one. Money well spent.

Timken bearing housings are made of Aramid fibers. (Dupont's TM name for this invention is KEVLAR..and we all know about KEVLAR's reputation for strength)

5 times stronger than steel of it's own weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar

:rockon:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
006 said:
Timken bearing housings are made of Aramid fibers. (Dupont's TM name for this invention is KEVLAR..and we all know about KEVLAR's reputation for strength)

5 times stronger than steel of it's own weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar

:rockon:

haha meant to say Kevlar and not teflon. :smmon:brain fart

May be a reason why the shop where I got my clutch kit installed refused to use the Timken I had provided them with. They insisted on the Ford TOB & PB that originaly came with the kit. They showed me some eaten up Timken TOB's that came out some other stangs. They had nothing to gain. I didn't get the kit from them I only took it to get installed there. Just my 2 pennies.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Well now i dunno then.

the clutch kit is 270 or so i believe from steve at Tousley ford.

That it w/ the 99 flywheel which i dont think is aluminum. i think i am going to get the 03/ 04 flywheel instead if its not too $$$. I havnt called about that yet.

Maybe ill just use ford bearings then, they have lasted 75 k so far if they last another 75k i wont complain.

The kit comes w/ a TOB and the pilot bearing is cheap.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
You can't go wrong with an OEM part. Some aftermarket parts are "performance" orriented, meaning they will handle more of a beating at shorter periods of time but are not meant for daily abuse. Maybe Timken falls in this category? Anyone running Timken with high miles on the TOB might want to chime in with their experience?

SnkBit

Established Member
I just got done replacing the SPEC TOB that came with my clutch. It lasted a couple years. Went with a Ford bearing this time. Ive heard from numerous people that the ford bearing is the way to go. Ive also "heard" that Timken makes the bearings for Ford. But im not positive about that one.

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
What ever TO bearing you get make sure it is selve centering like all the ford units, otherwise you will hate life.

Users who are viewing this thread