Where or how to dispose of an old sofa?

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
I have an old sofa. I got it free from a lady I worked with a long time ago and it has served me well over the years. But it has seen better days as it is slowly falling apart. The worst part is that it isn't comfortable to nap on anymore. The cushions are worn out so now the cross beams cause exteme discomfort.

Anyway, a guy I work with is selling a futon which is a great condition and cheap for what it is. It's a full sofa with a nice wooden frame with an 8" pad. I used to have one like it but the wife got that when we split up. I've missed having one ever since. That was the finest piece of napping furniture I've ever had.

So I've found a replacement for the current sofa. Now what the hell do I do with the old one? It isn't a sofabed but it has a recliner in each end and therefore feels as if it were full of lead bricks. I want to minimize my efforts in getting rid of it. Are there places who will come and pick it up for free? Slavation Army? Goodwill? Anyone done this before because I haven't. It had a matching rocker recliner that died years ago. I took that out to the curb and the trashmen took it. I don't think they'll do that with a full sofa though. I don't want to haul it to the curb first of all. And I don't want to find out that the garbage men won't take it and have to haul it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

bp03svt

Established Member
Put an ad in the paper for a free couch, must pick up yourself. My mom donated her old big screen to the salvation army, I think they came and got it.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
This may sound bad, but if people don't take it, take it in the bed of your truck and dump it behind a Target, or a super K or something.

giving it to the Salvation Army sounds much better than my suggestion though.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Strap it to the roof of the Cobra and run it to the landfill. Better yet put it in your front lawn so you can have a place to sit rest while cutting your grass. Or do like they do in around here, throw it in the woods near a stream, next to some old tires and a refrigerator.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Yes, garbage pickers will snag it. If not, call the local Goodwill store or Salvation Army thrift store. They take almost anything.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Call your local garbage company. They will usually come and get it free of charge if they know it is an item that will take more than one man to move and they are prepared. Around here they have one day a month that they run the routes and pickup all the big stuff like couches and appliances and such. I know Goodwill's appreciate things like that and our local Salvation Army charges for anything they used to give away to people in need even clothes.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Find a big trash compactor and stuff it in there.....and run. Works well and is rather entertaining :thumbsup:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
mjzilinski said:
Put it out at the curb, people pick stuff like that up all the time.

If you want to make sure it disappears, put a "FOR SALE" sign on it.

Seriously, get a German Shepherd puppy. It won't last a week.

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
I figured this would get good.

I've already done the FOR SALE sign out by the road and watched an old table disappear within hours.

I also dismantled an old 70's sleeper sofa with nothing more than a big hammer, and pry bar, and an industrial angle grinder. THAT, made a hell of a mess of the living room carpet. I knew it was getting replaced anyway so I figured I'd have my fun.

I'll give Goodwill a call and see if I can get them to come haul it away.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
We had an old couch - it got moved to the family room, and spent a year with the one side of it (the right side seat) literally broken - like the springs had broken and they would poke into the kids if we jumped on it in the wrong spot - it became a real safety hazard!
anyways, yeah put a 'free' sign on it and put a free ad in the paper.
Our couch? Oh, we took care of it...
Ever seen a couch fly 60 feet off a highway overpass into a large river? :lol1:
Guess the old say is true...
couches CAN'T fly

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
A good friend and I took a bunch of shit out in the country and put it at the side of the road. A week later we saw a bum sleeping in the chair we put out there. Youre donating it to the community.

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
mjzilinski said:
Put it out at the curb, people pick stuff like that up all the time.

Yep, we have gotten rid of all kinds of bulky junk by just putting out by the street with a sign that says "FREE" on it. Usually the stuff goes in under an hour.

And like someone else said - local garbage company will pick it up, but some might chare a hefty fee for that.

When I was a kid, or local garbage never took that kind of stuff. We had a whole living room set that we replaced (Couch, Chair and Loveseat and coffee table). Put it all on the back of the truck and hauled it out to the NJ pine barrens where we went dirt biking. Found a nice secluded spot in the woods and carfully set up the whole set like it was someones living room. True it was littering, but we all got a kick out of it.

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member
loosely secure it in the bed of your truck and take a ride down the curviest road you know of; just kidding, leave that bitch out in front of your house and someone will take it within 2 nights.

bchisom99

Established Member
inteller said:
set it in the middle of the road, douse it with gas and set it aflame.

we burn't a couch in college, reset, it was in our front yard and someone else set it ablaze, I was pissed for about 3 seconds, then it was pure entertainment...DO IT... :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread