Where is the knock coming from?

KGcobra

Established Member
Long story short, 2001 cobra with around 64k miles. It developed a knock while driving one day, so it sat parked for a couple of years. It never threw any codes or warning lights.

I got tired of essentially having a paperweight on wheels in the driveway so I've decided to get it running again...

I'm not a mechanic but figure with the way it was knocking that the cause of the problem would be apparent once I find it. So far I have pulled the valve covers and everything looks fine (as in not loose, broken, or out of place.) I have also dropped the oil pan. No broken chunks in there, nothing appears loose inside the engine. I didn't find any metal flakes in the oil.

In the mesh on the oil pickup tube there is some stuff but I think it's non metallic or at least doesn't stick to a magnet Could just be some grease from the feel of it?

Any tips or thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of what I found in the pickup tube mesh:
1adbf02ef627bf29b7e841955b776ba2.jpg

KGcobra

Established Member
Err...never mind. It's definitely metal, was just extremely thin so had a weird consistency. Just found a lot more as I was cleaning out the oil pan. I guess I'll need to do a full tear down and rebuild.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread