Where does your SN95 run on the factory Temp gauge???

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
Alright another topic that has been discussed quite a bit but again I want some fresh advice. My 97 with 34k here in Va runs past half on the temp gauge all the time. If at idle at stoplights on these hot days it is running at 3/4. I can't stand this. I have hooked up the scan tool and rode the car around and the hottest it has seen (at 3/4) is about 205 then the fan kicks in. With the a/c on it only runs between half and 3/4(fan is constant). At normal cruising speeds down the highway w/ ac it runs about 188, hotter if a/c is not on. Is the car just going to run that hot and I shouldn't worry about it or is this abnormal? I know even at 205 degrees that is not that hot I just hate seeing the gauge there.

So what I am asking is where do your 96-98's run temp wise in varying conditions. How different are they in the winter when they have alot cooler air outside? I have searched quite a bit also so please lets get some new outlooks or is there any fixes for this. I can and will get an aftermarket gauge but would like to keep it stock if possible. Thanks, Frank:beer:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
on cool nights while cruising the highway, it sits on R. During the day, and in traffic it sits around M-A

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
thanks for the reply Doug. anyone else? guess I am just picky, LOL. Just don't want to be runnin hot and hurtin my car.

ogc

Established Member
same way on my 97, it when driving it will sit on the R but at a stop light until the fan kicks in it will go up to the M and sometimes to the A. I never use the AC so I dont know if it would make a difference.

pottsy

Established Member
Rarely goes past the "R", after lots of city driving and in hot weather it can go to the "M" but I've never seen it go higher. The car has a manual fan switch for good measure, as well, but I've yet to use it...

pottsy

Established Member
Originally posted by LBZ-COBRA
did you put the switch on it or is that factory cuz I haven't seen it, LOL

It was there when I purchased the car, put in by the owner. ;)

cobrafever

Established Member
I have a 96' without the "fix" i'm in VA too, 38k mi. never goes past halfway, with AC on it comes back somewhere from 1/4 to 1/2, but never past half. I can see it come back when A/C is switched on.......I think your temps are fine.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Never goes past the R. The most I've seen it move is from the left side of the R to the right side of the R.

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
So what is the general thinking here? Is my gauge just high, or is the car running a little warm. I mean it is a high performance motor and most of the 4 cylinders of today run normally around 200 to 210? But I could take my probe on a 90 degree day with a/c full blast at a light and the gauge never reads warmer than right under halfway. I just hate seeing that gauge at 3/4. And one would think the car would run cooler without the a/c on but mine is the opposite. Frank

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I should dig up that old comparisson picture I made of my car. In the picture the stock temp gauge is sitting well past the red - my car should be blowing up - line and my Autometer is reading nicely at 180 degrees.

I NEVER trust the stock gauges.

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrafever
I have a 96' without the "fix" i'm in VA too, 38k mi. never goes past halfway, with AC on it comes back somewhere from 1/4 to 1/2, but never past half. I can see it come back when A/C is switched on.......I think your temps are fine.

With the "fix" I am assuming you are talking about the recall where they added the larger radiator, fan and ac condensor or compressor right? Well being that mine is a 97 I would think this had been done when being built. Guess I will just get me an aftermarket autometer guage and put in once I pull the stereo. Just funny every other car I have ever drove always ran hotter with the a/c on and our cars are the opposite. Guess I just need not to worry so much. LOL Frank

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Your condition is normal….At 90+ degrees mine sits at the M in traffic, moving on the FRWY goes back to O or R

I have the cooling upgrage which is the 97 up system

CoolingInfo.jpg

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
thanks for the info. That is good to know, now I won't worry so much LOL. It is still irritating though because this doesn't happen to all of the cobras LOL. Frank

Untamed

Established Member
I have a 5.0 and rarely see it pass the N and if it those its only for a brief moment and only if i get on it hard on hot summer days.
I have a 180 degree thermostat and new water pump.

C NORMAL H

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
I know for a fact that mine is running way too hot. Temp gauge never EVER goes below L. When I"m cruising down the highway, I got to roll both my windows down and crank the heater on full blast just to keep from overheating. Heater on + 90 degree day = undriveable car in warm weather. And this is all the way up in Maine with the TSB already performed, a 20/80 mix and water wetter. Anyone know what the hell I can do about this to convince me not to sell the car before I move to north carolina???

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Get an aftermarket temp gauge. First of all, find out if it's actually hot. If it was maxed out all the time, it would be running like crap!
Get a laser dot tool, and point it at different spots on the block, and you'll know if it's actually hot.

The OEM gauge can't be trusted.

For the guy who says his is on "N" all the time, don't you think that's a crock? That isn't even warmed up yet! It can't even be CLOSE to accurate. You're gauge needs to be replaced with an aftermarket.

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
now I see how many different variations we have, ford should have made a recall on the gauge. Anyway thanks for the info. And for the guy that yours is running at the L, hook a scan tool up to it and see what it is actually running. It would be interesting to know what it actually reads. Frank

Untamed

Established Member
It dose pass the N put not all the time Im assuming that when it dose pass the stat opens up and flows cold water in. before I changed the stock thermostat it would run hotter switch to a 180
problem solved.Oh and by the way i've never run it on treffic jams,
but i will get the temp gage check

Art

Users who are viewing this thread