Where Does This GO? HID Kit Question

vipergts281

Established Member
Had a DDM Tuning HID kit on my car for years but took them out to try LED's. Going back to HID's but I'm doing them with projectors this time. Anyway, I had to get H1 bulbs to fit the projectors, got them off Amazon.

But for the life of me I can't figure out how to hook everything back up. I'm thinking I may need an adapter or something?? Or maybe another set of H1 bulbs...not sure if they all come with the "extra" connector.

In the picture below, I have no clue where that connector in the lower right corner goes? That wasn't on my old bulbs from DDM. Also, the other arrow is pointing to spade connectors. I have no idea what to do with them either.

Anyone know what I'm missing here?

HID Kit.jpg

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
You got a cluster **** of two kits there. Either it's for a little halogen hi beam next to the HID bulb. Or more likely judging by the plug it was a ballast in the connector would plug into the ballast and the spade would stick into the factory plug.

The left ballast has a connection for the magnetic hi/lo type bulb though.

All you really need is to connect the bulb and get 12v to the ballast plug. I would just cut the blue plug off, connect it to the factory plug and use it to trigger a regular 30A icecube relay when you turn your lights on. The one on top in the pic is ok but I have them fail alot. Connect the power from the relay to both + wires on either ballast.

I personally wouldn't bother with trying to get any of the hi beams stuff to work it's just a gimmick, either a halogen secondary or justover the bulb forward/back. Below is a diagram of how I would do it (I ground to the battery not the stock plug though).

hidig_h1fix.jpg

You can see what the spades were for but your better off using that blue plug, they used to use spade terminals to save money.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
That would be the interface cable between your car and the ballast if you had a car that used H1 bulbs stock. I can see in the image that you already have the cable that plugs into the car. Remove it - it is not needed.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
In reference to the high beam switch. I'm going to show you two solutions below.

The first one - I thought I was genius. It was less than $1 solution with a single diode. I created one set before I found a different solution. l still have this and use it when I switch out to my stock headlights. If you look at the image below - and follow the red cable that is furthest to the left. That is the low beam light. It goes to the top diode - which is then connected to the high beam cable. If you look on the other side of the diode - that is where the pigtail is for the high beam switch and high beam cable is located. It works because the Diode will block the current from the low beam light and will allow the power to pass through from the high beam. The high beam cutoff is on the high beam side of the diode - so it will only activate with the high beam light.
rezDtrJl.jpg

So - I created that - and then I found this:
http://www.vleds.com/9004-9007-bi-xenon-in-line-high-low-switching-module.html

It does the same thing but all packaged up a whole lot nicer and with relays instead of a diode. The circuit is a little more complex but the power loss through the relays is less than through a diode (I think my diode used half a volt).

EDIT: Black - just realized you were talking about the 9007 bulbs high beam in the reflective bowl being a gimmick. What Viper is doing is projector though - with an actual high beam cut off fence that can be triggered to move and give a very real high beam output. I agree with you though - I could never get the 9007 HID bulbs to give me a decent high beam worth a crap either.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
You got a cluster **** of two kits there. Either it's for a little halogen hi beam next to the HID bulb. Or more likely judging by the plug it was a ballast in the connector would plug into the ballast and the spade would stick into the factory plug.
S**t, I forgot to mention that the reason the ballasts are different is because a few months after I installed the kit I lost a ballast while driving through a nasty rain storm. So I bought another one, the slim one you see.

All you really need is to connect the bulb and get 12v to the ballast plug. I would just cut the blue plug off, connect it to the factory plug and use it to trigger a regular 30A icecube relay when you turn your lights on. The one on top in the pic is ok but I have them fail alot. Connect the power from the relay to both + wires on either ballast.

I personally wouldn't bother with trying to get any of the hi beams stuff to work it's just a gimmick, either a halogen secondary or justover the bulb forward/back.
Yeah, as Huachipato said, I'm going to be using a projector so I need/want the high beam wire.

Below is a diagram of how I would do it.

You can see what the spades were for but your better off using that blue plug, they used to use spade terminals to save money.

Good Luck
Thanks for the diagram/help, I appreciate it.

That would be the interface cable between your car and the ballast if you had a car that used H1 bulbs stock. I can see in the image that you already have the cable that plugs into the car. Remove it - it is not needed.

In reference to the high beam switch. I'm going to show you two solutions below.

So - I created that - and then I found this:
http://www.vleds.com/9004-9007-bi-xenon-in-line-high-low-switching-module.html
Just so I'm clear, you're saying that I don't need the blue connector and the attached relay I currently have. So get rid of it. Then buy the module in the link you provided and use them instead? So the blue connector on that would go to each stock headlight connector and the other end would go into each ballast, correct?

And also the connector in the pic with the arrow AND the 2 spades can go as they don't get used with my setup?

Am I understanding everything correctly?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
No - you need your blue connector. You don't need the spade connector that is attached to your bulb - remove only the spade connector cable.

I bet the current set up you have will trigger the high beams fine. I was just sharing the solution I have found.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Crap, sorry was pretty shot when I replied and didn't catch onto the whole projector conversion. Just thought Cobra = 9007 and ran with it.

Users who are viewing this thread