Where do YOU put your Garage Door Opener?

Prodigy603

Established Member
After getting more seat time in my '11 GT500 Vert, the one thing I find lacking is that there is no Homelink or built in Garage Door opener! Stunning really.

Even with the wonderful MySync system, still no-one programmed in a garage door opener!

Obviously I can just clip it onto the visor like my granpa does on his Oldsmobile...but with all the torque this thing generates it keeps falling off and into the either my lap or the passenger seat.

I'm curious if anyone has found a better way to do it?

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Get a fob style transmitter and velcro it to the visor.

i.e. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-970LM-390MHz-Remote-Details/dp/B001GJWDMM/ref=pd_cp_hi_3]Amazon.com: Chamberlain 970LM 390MHz Mini Remote(See Tech. Details Below): Home Improvement[/ame]

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
I use the visor clip, but I make sure the end of the clip (the part that bends up) is under the mirror cover. Still annoying though.

03Bite

Established Member
I think they finally changed that on the 2012 cause when I ordered mine I could have swore I saw it on there. I hope!:shrug:

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Mine is velcroed under the dash. I wired a microswitch above my ignition key and I hardwired the power to the car. I just push the microswitch to operate.

Prodigy603

Established Member
So I had my '11 GT500 in to the dealer to have them look at some rear end axle noise (carbon fiber clutches in differential?) and asked them if there were any "homelink" options out there that he could install.

So they called me back, and said sure! They have a Homelink RearView Mirror (w/ compass, temp and dimmer) that they can install for the bargain price of $500 PLUS Tax!

Needless to say, I'm still clipping mine to my visor for now.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
So I had my '11 GT500 in to the dealer to have them look at some rear end axle noise (carbon fiber clutches in differential?) and asked them if there were any "homelink" options out there that he could install.

So they called me back, and said sure! They have a Homelink RearView Mirror (w/ compass, temp and dimmer) that they can install for the bargain price of $500 PLUS Tax!

Homelink mirror lists for about $390 on Ford Accesories website. I'm betting it can be installed without the dealer's grubby mits all over.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member

If you're gonna spend that much might as well just trade her in on a 2012. :thumbsup:

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
garage door opener??? what's that??? pop's BlackJack gets the garage when I come home and the gt500 sits in an apartment complex when i'm at school... I know it makes me sad in the pants, but hey my carwash stuff gets used quite often

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm warning everyone now.

Even with the proper tool, removing the rear view mirror from the Shelby's windshield could break the glass. There is so much pressure on that clamp, when you try to release it, the pressure is shifted to the glass....and....BREAK!

I wanted my front windshield tinted, but the installer refused to remove the rear view mirror from the glass (I don't blame him). He suggested a glass company that may do it. The glass company told me, "We have the tool to remove the properly, and we still break the glass sometimes." They also denied, and said I would have to try myself, so I did. Guess what....I broke the windshield.

The windshield was replaced by the place the same glass company I talked too, and there was only 1,500 miles on my car. Sucks huh!

Buyer beware!

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I'm warning everyone now.

Even with the proper tool, removing the rear view mirror from the Shelby's windshield could break the glass. There is so much pressure on that clamp, when you try to release it, the pressure is shifted to the glass....and....BREAK!

I wanted my front windshield tinted, but the installer refused to remove the rear view mirror from the glass (I don't blame him). He suggested a glass company that may do it. The glass company told me, "We have the tool to remove the properly, and we still break the glass sometimes." They also denied, and said I would have to try myself, so I did. Guess what....I broke the windshield.

The windshield was replaced by the place the same glass company I talked too, and there was only 1,500 miles on my car. Sucks huh!

Buyer beware!

My windshield is tinted, my tinter cut exactly around the mirror mount and a line straight up from there. With the dot matrix you can't tell at all.

I have seen him do cars like that w/o dots and you still can't tell

Prodigy603

Established Member
Has anyone run a microphone for bluetooth?

So the saga continues...

I have replaced the rear view mirror (after much difficulty removing the original) with a Gentex Mirror w/ Homelink buttons built in. Looks slick...

Except, after disconnecting the factory mirror and installing the Gentex mirror, I discovered that the Bluetooth microphone is in the damn mirror. Ugh.

Has anyone else replaced with Gentex mirror?

Has anyone run a microphone to one of these 2011 head units?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
So the saga continues...

I have replaced the rear view mirror (after much difficulty removing the original) with a Gentex Mirror w/ Homelink buttons built in. Looks slick...

Except, after disconnecting the factory mirror and installing the Gentex mirror, I discovered that the Bluetooth microphone is in the damn mirror. Ugh.

Has anyone else replaced with Gentex mirror?

Has anyone run a microphone to one of these 2011 head units?

How did you get the mirror off?

Prodigy603

Established Member
In the end I took it to a glass shop.

They took a nail remover / flat screw driver with a bent end and lightly pried against the prongs visible on the bottom of the mirror mount WHILE lightly tapping the mirror mount with a hammer.

The light tapping with the hammer was the key because he did not have to forcefully pry with the screw driver and on the glass.

It moved enough and then he slid it right off!

Last edited:

Prodigy603

Established Member
Final summary

Well, the job is done. The OEM mirror (made by Gentex) has been replaced by a different Gentex mirror that has the home link buttons, compass and thermometer.

I'm not going to break down the steps, because this guy did a better job than I could: [ame=http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6686]Gentex Homelink Mirror Install... Pics. - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum[/ame]

Or this guy: Auto-Dimming Mirror for Mustang

However, Ford decided to change the electrical system in the 2011 so his fuse panel notes were no help. Rather than mounted sideways it's vertical and no fuse numbers correspond. I used fuse 2 & 33 to tap into and with some final help from a friend, we are up and running.

Hence his warning, beware of removing the mirror. I'm not sure who but I visited two dealers to remove it and the second noticed "the cracks" in the windshield after they had been working on it for a bit. Went to a glass shop and they had it off in three seconds...but said the window needed to be replaced. Thankfully, I had a zero deductible on my windshield.

Bottomline, go to a glass shop. Don't try it yourself or the dealer (one tried to tell me Shelby had a special tool for taking the mirrors off these).

For future reference, the following is a list of unused fuses and which ones are always hot and which ones are only on with the ignition:

This is a listing of those unused output taps in the Smart Junction Box.

F and the # is the fuse location . . . .

Pin 13 ---- F2 ---- 15A ---- Hot Always
Pin 10 ---- F13 ---- 5A ---- Hot Always
Pin 11 ---- F14 --- 10A ---- Hot Always (Shared w/ Front Display Module / NAV)
Pin 2 ----- F18 --- 20A ---- Hot Always
Pin 8 ----- F40 --- 20A ---- Hot Always
Pin 4 ----- F38 --- 20A ---- Hot Always
Pin 7 ----- F41 --- 15A ---- Accessory Delay Relay (Shared w/ interior stuff)
Pin 32 ---- F47 --- 30A ---- Accessory Delay Relay (Circuit Breaker, Not Fuse)
Pin 6 ----- F33 --- 10A ---- Hot in Start or Run
Pin 9 ----- F35 --- 10A ---- Hot in Start or Run (Shared w/ Body Control Module B)
Pin 5 ----- F32 --- 20A ---- Hot in Start or Run
Pin 13 ---- F37 --- 10A ---- Hot in Start or Run
Pin 12 ---- F46 --- 7.5A --- Hot in Start or Run (Shared w/ Overhead Console)
Pin 3 ----- F43 --- 10A ---- Hot in Run or Accy (Shared w/ Heated Seat Relay)

The next chapter in this minor headache is to install a microphone that will tap into the MySync system due to the fact that the convertibles have the MySync mike in the mirror, whereas the coupes have it in the headliner (so I'm told).

Found one made here for $65 made specifically for the Ford MySync:
Replacement Microphone for OEM Mirror-based Microphones 5000-PESM

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Well, the job is done. The OEM mirror (made by Gentex) has been replaced by a different Gentex mirror that has the home link buttons, compass and thermometer.

Having a glass place pull the original seems like the way to go. The rest is pretty straightforward.

I got a quote from the local dealer of $400 to install the Homelink mirror. Ummm :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread