Where can i get a secondary air injection hose ford p/n f6z9b448ca?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
So, after replacing the serpentine belt on the Vortech S/C I discovered that the rubber hose, on the right side connecting the OEM "AIR Diverter valve" to the front of the exhaust manifold, had broken, probably due to a combination of unavoidable movement during the removal of the S/C mounting bracket, and old age hastened by the rubber hose being attached to the exhaust manifold for some 18 years.

According to my source in the parts department at my local stealership, the Ford P/N is as indicated in the subject above: F6Z9B448CA. And it is no longer available (at least from Ford).

So, my question for the forum is this: Is there any one out there who has a source for this part?

I have not yet retrieved the two pieces from the engine compartment, but I can read the word "HEATER" on the hose. If I have to, once I do retrieve the two pieces I can size it up (looks like about 8" of 5/8" diameter heater hose) and probably make it up myself from over-the-counter hose.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
I think I have these parts from a '96 Cobra engine I'm parting out. I'll check and let you know.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Perhaps a dumb question, but do you need the thermactor in PA for emissions? If not you can turn it off in the computer and pull the pump and vacuum lines, leaving the valves connected to the manifolds. The vales are shut without vacuum, so no exhaust leaks if you disconnect the pump.

I do have a hose, but don't want to part with it. If you like, I can takes pics of it, etc...

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I think you may be on the wrong side of the diverter valve.

The hose I am looking for is between the diverter valve and the exhaust manifold, not between the air pump and the diverter valve. It's about 5/8" in diameter and 8" long. It is not that 1" +/- diameter hose that goes from the air pump and tee's off to the two diverter valves.

I am also thinking that the hose I need may originally have been a metal tube replaced by a length of heater hose when something went wrong during the original installation of the S/C.

I am going to call my friend in the stealership's parts department and have her take another look at the part.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Now then, the rubber hose in question was supplied by Vortech as part of a modification to the secondary air supply to accommodate some other mods required to mount the S/C. I found this after going back over Vortech's installation instructions.
So, after getting the piece of rubber hose still attached at the end of the exhaust manifold off of the pipe left in the manifold I was able to piece the hose back together and took it to my local NAPA store to find a piece of 1/2" hose with a 90-degree bend molded into it, and cut it to the dimensions of the original Vortech-supplied hose.
This is what the two hoses look like: original hose above and new modified hose below:
2wpm2wm.jpg

So tomorrow: put it all back together!

cbrown9064

Established Member
Ahhh, yes! That was originally a 1 piece metal tube that Vortech has you modify...

But back to the original question, do you need the thermactor to pass emission in PA? If not, then take off the valve on that side, vacuum hoses, hose going to pump, etc... And weld one of the tubes shut and then screw it on to the exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Ahhh, yes! That was originally a 1 piece metal tube that Vortech has you modify...

But back to the original question, do you need the thermactor to pass emission in PA? If not, then take off the valve on that side, vacuum hoses, hose going to pump, etc... And weld one of the tubes shut and then screw it on to the exhaust manifold.

We do have emissions testing. I don't know if that is required for the emissions testing or not, but due to very low annual mileage (approximately 1000 miles) the car has had nothing but emissions exemptions for years.

Removing the tube to weld it closed would be next to impossible due to rust, let alone having to drop the A/C compressor to access the area. it's not an option for me. I'll just put the hose on as difficult as that may be.

cbrown9064

Established Member
We do have emissions testing. I don't know if that is required for the emissions testing or not, but due to very low annual mileage (approximately 1000 miles) the car has had nothing but emissions exemptions for years.

Removing the tube to weld it closed would be next to impossible due to rust, let alone having to drop the A/C compressor to access the area. it's not an option for me. I'll just put the hose on as difficult as that may be.

No need to drop the ac compressor to get to that pipe. Mine came right off. Blower and bracket would need to be off. The fitting on the manifold the pipe screws on to is no doubt rusted in the the manifold, but I bet you can get the pipe off. It was easy for me...

SNAKEYE

Established Member
After several many days of rain the weather dried and the sun finally came out and warmed things up a bit. I got that little hose back on the car late this afternoon (what a job shoving up in there), and the engine noise is gone. No more exhaust leak. One nasty repair job!

Next up state mechanical and emissions inspections and back on the road for some Fall crusin'!

Users who are viewing this thread