Where are the haters now????

apache driver

Established Member
I am certainly not a shelby hater, but I am disappointed that chevy can offer a completely redesigned corvette with 50 more horsepower, better braking, handling, and lighter weight and get the msrp about the same as the C5 vettes.

Fourcam330

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Exactly. Heck, I paid about $28K out the door for mine.

-Jeff

Who's to say people won't be able to pay $38k out the door for the '09 GT500? All things considered including 5 model years of inflation, and the improvements, that's not such a bad deal. Hell, if gas prices continue the way they have, the rebates might have to be much larger.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Two reasons...and I'm not saying these are valid comparisons, but they're being made anyway...

#2:
You can now buy a Corvette coupe for the same (or less) than a GT500. That is a tough pill to swallow for many. :(

Back in 03 you could also find new base vette's for mid 30s.

Fourcam330

Established Member
apache driver said:
I am certainly not a shelby hater, but I am disappointed that chevy can offer a completely redesigned corvette with 50 more horsepower, better braking, handling, and lighter weight and get the msrp about the same as the C5 vettes.

Mostly due to the fact that the Vette's ride on a more dedicated platform purposely designed to be used in a sports car. Pony cars have no such luck, they use what's around.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
Who's to say people won't be able to pay $38k out the door for the '09 GT500? All things considered including 5 model years of inflation, and the improvements, that's not such a bad deal. Hell, if gas prices continue the way they have, the rebates might have to be much larger.

What you quoted from me was a response to another post where a member said that people were getting them for $29K.

Fourcam330

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
What you quoted from me was a response to another post where a member said that people were getting them for $29K.

Didn't mean to single you out Jeff, just making a point. I'm sure some idiots payed over msrp for their first run 03s as well.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Two reasons...and I'm not saying these are valid comparisons, but they're being made anyway...

#1:
Probably half of the Terminators ever built never sold for anywhere near MSRP. Thanks to rebates and incentives, many paid well below invoice for one! If you're comparing your $29,000 Terminator to a $43,000 GT500, that's almost a 50% price increase. :uh oh:

#2:
You can now buy a Corvette coupe for the same (or less) than a GT500. That is a tough pill to swallow for many. :(
You are compairing a price of a 2003 Cobra in late 2004 or early 2005 to a 2007 Shelby in June of 06 when it hasn't been released.

Take a step back to late 2002 when the 03 was released and everybody was paying over MSRP or MSRP. The price will settle down when the market allows it to. The reason the 03's were selling for under 30K is because the demand for them fell greatly.

Every hot commodity car is like that. I remember when the M5's came out, they were 20K over...now you can get them at sticker. Or how about a ford GT for 150K over...now @ MSRP. Carerra GT 200-300K over...now 50K off of MSRP.

Terminator

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Mostly due to the fact that the Vette's ride on a more dedicated platform purposely designed to be used in a sports car. Pony cars have no such luck, they use what's around.

Understood, but Ford sells 3x as many Mustangs.
So why is it in the vette's price range?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
apache driver said:
the 07 Shelby will ourbrake the Base Vette and the Terminator. It will also out accelerate it. As for handling...the lighter car has the advantage on tight turns, but big sweepers can be over come with HP.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Terminator said:
Understood, but Ford sells 3x as many Mustangs.
So why is it in the vette's price range?
the regular C6 has production numbers that are far greater than any cobra ever produced.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
Didn't mean to single you out Jeff, just making a point. I'm sure some idiots payed over msrp for their first run 03s as well.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure that you knew where I was coming from. And as I stated in one of my earlier posts, the prices of the GT500 will surely come down, but by how much is the question.

drmustang

Banned
dgussin1 said:
the regular C6 has production numbers that are far greater than any cobra ever produced.

GM builds 30 some thousand Corvettes because their retailers will take that many and sell them for whatever they can get. Ford will build far fewer GT 500s for the same reason. How many $45,000-$50,000 Mustangs will be purchased by the public in a year.

13,000 03 Cobras were produced. The initial "limited" production nonsense and ADMs evaporated rather quickly. MSRP level sales lasted briefly thereafter. From that point the car was a failure at its sticker price. The performance car public spoke to Ford with their wallets. $35,000 was too much for the latest, greatest, fastest Mustang. They began to rot on the vine. 6-7 grand discounts were required to rescue these cars. Many sat in dealer stock for months afterwards.

This next latest greatest pony has ticket about $10,000 higher. I really think that there are going to be some sales problems in the not too distant future.

ExplorerThis

Valve Drop
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
the 07 Shelby will ourbrake the Base Vette and the Terminator. It will also out accelerate it. As for handling...the lighter car has the advantage on tight turns, but big sweepers can be over come with HP.

a z51 vette owns you......

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ExplorerThis said:
a z51 vette owns you......
maybe in the turns...not in the straights. A Z51 with no other options MSRP's for $46,185. A 07 Shelby MSRP's for $40,930. $5255 difference or 12.8% more expensive. And the Shelby will DEFINATLEY hold it's value better.

broeli

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
maybe in the turns...not in the straights. A Z51 with no other options MSRP's for $46,185. A 07 Shelby MSRP's for $40,930. $5255 difference or 12.8% more expensive. And the Shelby will DEFINATLEY hold it's value better.
Come on. You have to give the sticker msrp. We ALL know that the "base" price after gas guzzler, dest. is actually more like 43025. THAT is the lowest price you can get a GT500 for. So it is really only a $3000 difference. BUT, I can get a Z51 Vette for UNDER sticker making it cheaper than a GT500. How many can get a GT500 for even sticker? Not many. In reality you would have to call them equal in pricing.
I know you're trying to justify the pricing on the GT500, but most find it overpriced even at msrp...plain and simple. The Vette offers a better overall package and more luxeries/amenities if you want them. It's pretty bad when diehard Ford people aren't happy with the GT500. This is no loinger the average working mans performance car. The Gt500 would cost about $900+ a month to finance...which is probably what many "average" Americans will pay a month for a house :) It is in new territory and it doesn't offer enough to justify the price. Just my opinion of course :D

The Shelby is nice, but it doesn't have the Bad Ass look of the 03/04 Cobra. IMHO, the baddest looking muscle car of any era!!!!

Machinator

Banned
R1Lello said:
I must say as you being the owner of an 04, very cool to admit it. Well said!! :thumbsup:

Ill say it to, yes my Cobra ran a 12.78 stock, this new pig from ford will have to prove itself. It looks like crap, very heavy, will not even think about handling like my full MM SVT Cobra and surely wont run with the 76mm ballbearing turbo sitting under the hood. For the money you tards are spending on this pig would be much better spent on a new ls7 Z06.

2k1cobra

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I know, that's just too damn much to ask from this board! :rolleyes:
+1 its like trying to explain something to some damn monkeys, actually i think a monkey actually knows a GT500 and a vette are 2 completely different cars. :kaboom: :lol: :thumbsup:

BetterthanU

Banned
R1Lello said:
Just what I expected. Another d*ck!! Bye :D

stop talking to yourself, dem fools'll think you crazy booyeeeeee.

-The simple fact that people are not excited vs. being "not surprised" about the GT500 being just a bit faster than a stock terminator says alot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread