When you guys let your clutch out in neutral...

OnyxCobra

'95 Cobra
Established Member
with the engine running, do you hear a noise coming from the trans area that sounds like something spinning? Then when you push the clutch back in you can hear the noise kinda slow down and then stop.

I'd like to know if this is normal with a T56 or not.

ian04

Established Member
u have a noises TOB didnt happen to me till i changed to a spec clutch i tried the one that came with the kit i put a ford racing one in and now im just runing one from autozone but i found from time to time i just got to adjust the quadrant attached to the clutch pedal cable u might have to tighten it up or loosen it hope that makes sense

CtSvt

Established Member
My sn95 cobra used to do it very loud whine / screech , I sold it before I ever got around to putting a clutch in it tho

OnyxCobra

'95 Cobra
Established Member
u have a noises TOB didnt happen to me till i changed to a spec clutch i tried the one that came with the kit i put a ford racing one in and now im just runing one from autozone but i found from time to time i just got to adjust the quadrant attached to the clutch pedal cable u might have to tighten it up or loosen it hope that makes sense

I really don't think it's the TOB on account of it was working fine before. I still have the stock quadrant and everything and it's all self adjusting, you can't mess it up.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op mine does that exact same thing right after a clutch swap. Also I used a ford racing tob and pilot bearing. Thought maybe its the input shaft spinning, I upgraded to a 26 spline. Can't really hear it outside of car. I've prolly driven it like this for nearly 2k miles and it hasn't changed at all.

Last edited:

Rambro

Established Member
Op mine does that exact same thing right after a clutch swap. Also I used a ford racing tob and pilot bearing. Thought maybe its the input shaft spinning, I upgraded to a 26 spline. Can't really hear it outside of car. I've prolly driven it like this for nearly 2k miles and it hasn't changed at all.

Same here

memach1

Established Member
drive it! it is nothing but the input shaft spinning inside the transmission

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Totally normal. The T56 is a huge transmission. There's a lot of spinning hardware in there. If the trans has some miles, or someone installed a 26spline input and didn't correctly shim/preload the bearing ... Well, both clusters probably need a few .001's of shim added as well. Lack of quality fluid changes will make them noisy too.

Drive it.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
While in neutral, you're spinning:

The input shaft
The 1-4 cluster
The 5-6 cluster
1,2,3,4,5,6th gears are all spinning (not engaged) in there.

.... You're hearing bearing noise and "gear rattle".

OnyxCobra

'95 Cobra
Established Member
so basically hearing the "gear rattle" as you slip the clutch is totally normal? I have to say I hate hearing it but i feel a little better knowing it's not necessarily busted.

Users who are viewing this thread