When Will 93 Cobra's Become Collectors

93SVTCobra

Established Member
IF anyone remembers WWWAAYYYYYY back in 92-94 the popular shoot-outs used to be Mustang VS GN at the drag strips. MM&FF used to cover a number of these events each year until the GN folks were so outgunned that it became a mute point.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I dont beleive it was about being out gunned... I think its because at that point the intercooled GrandNationals (the IC'ed ones were the only ones worth modifying in my opinion) were over 7 and 8 years old and the 5.0 mustangs built between 94 and 95 lacked any real power... So at that point, in time, the infamous 5.0/GN rivalry had pretty much dried up.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I have a 93 Cobra that is what I consider totally stock. If u r interested in the value of the 93's then I sugest that you get your car appraised but a reputable appraiser. I had my 93 appraised 2 years ago and it was appraised @ $15,500 kind of low but it is worth alot more to me.I plan on having it appraised again this year. Hopefully the price will go up.

QuickStangs

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra1993svt
I have a 93 Cobra that is what I consider totally stock. If u r interested in the value of the 93's then I sugest that you get your car appraised but a reputable appraiser. I had my 93 appraised 2 years ago and it was appraised @ $15,500 kind of low but it is worth alot more to me.I plan on having it appraised again this year. Hopefully the price will go up.

How many miles do you have? Mine has 135K but it's in great condition. Had the interior redone and some other work. I paid 9k for it five years ago with 90k on it.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
My 93 Cobra has 40k miles. It has been basically a non driver show car. A reputable appraiser will be able to give you a dollar amount on your car no matter what the miles.:)

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Yeah, I think they are already collectible.

Figure they went for abt $21K when they were new, and mine, with 100K miles, was paid off for $11.5K. Not bad for a 10 year old car! If you want one with low miles, you are gonna pay much closer to the original sticker price.

Not too many other cars out there that are fetching close to their original sticker price after 10 years...

Not to mention the high school age kids are grabbing up the 5.0's cuz they are "cheap", powerful, and plentiful. That makes the 93 cobras a "prize" for the younger generation to try to possess.

My 2cents.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Hmmm...I dunno about you guys, but I think cars in
general tend be money pits. You will rarely get
back what you've invested. That's why some say
that cars are an expense, not an investment.

-norcal_cobra

03CobraBro

Established Member
Im going to say the simple fact that 93 was the first year for the Cobra and SVT, that would make them collecters items.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by norcal_cobra
Hmmm...I dunno about you guys, but I think cars in
general tend be money pits. You will rarely get
back what you've invested. That's why some say
that cars are an expense, not an investment.

-norcal_cobra

True. But isn't it nice to know that you could buy a '93 Cobra now, drive it for a few years, and probably turn around and sell it for what you paid for it? I think right now the '93 Cobras are as "depreciated" as they are gonna get (barring unforseen economic circumstances).

M.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
I agree completely, the 93 Cobra is definitely distinguished as the first year model. It is a great car and the one that started it all. It is much more collectible than say a 96 Cobra. I am greatful for the 93 Cobra also because it has made all the other great SVT products possibility. It definitely has a place in automotive history as well as the collectors realm.

-norcal_cobra

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I dunno, The cars ore only valuable to those who want them, and they are only worth what someone will pay for them. Take mine for instance. I have been asking $12.9k for a 36,000 mile cobra and havent even had a nibble.

Ask the SVO guys about recent mustang values. I have had three of these. One of them was a 85 and a half with just 60k. There were only 439 of these cars made, and the color I had was only made in 85 and it was a low production number. I bought it for $3000. Value is purely subjective!

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Good Point! Stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay. And right now things are getting tight all over...

Good luck with your Cobra sale!

M.

SL 1993 R

Established Member
Most people tend to think that cars in general, if they are to become collectible, stop depreciating around 10 years. It will be interesting to see what happens with the values of the 93's this and next year.

Users who are viewing this thread