When/why did this word choice start?

mav_tu

Established Member
For as long as I can remember I was always taught to describe a decimal point as "point," e.g., 2.1 would be said two-point-one. Recently I hear everyone saying dot - so it would be two-dot-one.

Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it that engineers or computer programming people say it one way, so everyone else has adopted it? I know, random question... Just a question. Any input?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
we used "point" in the Navy and (-) as tach as in regards to saying a space number on the ship. lik 1-2-3 (one tach two tach three)

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably about the time the "Dot-Com Bubble" occured.

I still say point. It always freaked me out though when people in the math department referred to Z as Zed, as in the "x, y, zed" axis.

oilwell1415

Established Member
When I was in college alll of the foreigners said dot instead of point. I don't know if that's where it came from, but I suspect their use of the dot instead of point has something to do with the way they learned (didn't learn?) English.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I use dot a lot because I work with IPs and whanot as part of meh jobz SON!

mav_tu

Established Member
When I was in college alll of the foreigners said dot instead of point. I don't know if that's where it came from, but I suspect their use of the dot instead of point has something to do with the way they learned (didn't learn?) English.

When you say foreigners, do you mean Asian, Japanese, Chinese? They are some of, if not THE, fastest industrially growing nations in the world. I know we adapt to the way they say and do a lot of things in the business world. If their corporate execs started saying "dot," it would be reasonable to assume other industry leaders adopted it to make communication more uniform. Hummm....

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
I always thought it had to do with "point" being a decimal amount, or a figure(like money, or amounts). "Dot" like mentioned above would be for things like IP addresses.
Your not gonna hear anyone say, "One dot five billion dollars".

oilwell1415

Established Member
When you say foreigners, do you mean Asian, Japanese, Chinese? They are some of, if not THE, fastest industrially growing nations in the world. I know we adapt to the way they say and do a lot of things in the business world. If their corporate execs started saying "dot," it would be reasonable to assume other industry leaders adopted it to make communication more uniform. Hummm....

Typically those from the Middle East, but Asians used it as well.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I use dot a lot because I work with IPs and whanot as part of meh jobz SON!

This

I always thought it had to do with "point" being a decimal amount, or a figure(like money, or amounts). "Dot" like mentioned above would be for things like IP addresses.
Your not gonna hear anyone say, "One dot five billion dollars".

And this

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
The intelligentsia say point, which is correct.

Kids say dot. Because it isn't saying point, which is what their parents and teachers use.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I've never heard anyone use it in that way [other than where it is recurring like an IP address].

Users who are viewing this thread