When selling a car, what's a safe way to get paid?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I'm thinking about selling my car and am wondering how you guys make sure you get properly paid when selling something in the range of $30K. Cash would be nice but few people are going to get that much from the bank to carry around. I have heard stories about forged cashier's checks so that seems risky. Any suggestions?

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
get the check and run it to the bank to make sure it goes through then give the them the car.

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Get him to get a bank draft. Just a cheque the bank makes out and cannot be made unless the funds are available. That is what i've always used for buying and selling myself.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
My Bank said that even a Cashier's Check could bounce up to 5 days after my Bank calls there Bank and is told that it's good. :shrug:

They told me the only fool-proof way was to have the money wire transferred into my account, so that's what I had my buyer do. This way, once the money is wired, the Buyer has no recourse, as the money IS in your account.

U1arunit

10 Second Club
Established Member
11Sec_Lx said:
My Bank said that even a Cashier's Check could bounce up to 5 days after my Bank calls there Bank and is told that it's good. :shrug:

They told me the only fool-proof way was to have the money wire transferred into my account, so that's what I had my buyer do. This way, once the money is wired, the Buyer has no recourse, as the money IS in your account.
Exactly. 100% correct. The only safe way.

Bank checks, cashier checks, certified checks, etc can all be stopped payment and ARE NOT guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread