When does the 2018 Shelby GT350 available for order and for sale?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
We simply have no way of knowing. I used the wheels as an example, as early on it was publicly acknowledged as a constraint. I just know from experience it can be very difficult to ramp production in the face of unforecast demand.

It could be that Ford is intentionally constraining Rs as originally suggested but who knows. We know overall Ford has to control their product mix for CAFE; they publicly talk about the Eco-Boost/aluminum trucks allowing them to sell more performance vehicles.

Fuel economy is the same for the GT350 whether or not it is an R.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2017_Ford_Mustang.shtml

The wheels aren't impacting the fuel efficiency of this model so the mix percentage is Ford's choice (between the two) and not dictated by CAFE. Again, early on CR had a more limited capacity. That isn't the issue now.

mike.s

Established Member
ford does a great job limiting production on the se mustangs and they hold their value equally as well for it. gm gives their halo cars away, ford does not have to

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Also as nice as the GT350 R is I don't think its $85k+ Nice! Just my opinion. Hell even at $68k its pushing it for its performance capability. Heck even the Camaro 1LE keeps up with it at the track and that car is waaaay cheaper. And the ZL1 beats it pretty good for less money as well.

^This is all wrong. The [SS] 1LE does not keep up with the R on a track, and the ZL1 does not "beat it pretty good for less money." Taking into account the huge HP/TRQ advantage it has, the ZL1 barely outpaces the R. Do you also think the SS 1LE can keep up with the ZL1? The prices of the ZL1 and GT350R are within spitting distance of each other. And you're crazy, if you think the GT350R isn't a phenomenal value at MSRP! See next response.

I agree. Ford and other companies need to stop making limited cars and letting Dealers Screw the customers over! Just build at least enough to cover the demand and sell them at msrp.

Ford probably loses money on every GT350R they produce. You could buy a whole Ecoboost Mustang for the cost of just the wheels and rear wing of the GT350R. Mind you, the R has an MSRP of $65K - $68K. The numbers would say +/-40% of its value is in the wheels and wing! Of course, it's far more than the wheels and wings that make up the R.

I bought my 2017 at MSRP after searching for it. I had another dealer that wanted $10k over and after I purchased mine, I made it a point to show up at that dealer with my new car and explained to them that not only did they lose the GT350 sale, but a potential F150 sale towards the end of the year as well as the bad publicity when I tell Team Shelby. They seemed to not care but I guarantee you that it will affect their bottom line.

It's not going to affect they're bottom line one bit. We performance enthusiasts make up a minuscule percentage of the car buying market. I'd bet 80+% of American car buyers have never once been to an online car forum or even bought an automotive magazine other than Consumer Reports Car Buying Edition.

blokblok

Established Member
Sorry but I disagree. I get its there business and they can do whatever they want. But every time a dealer marks up a vehicle like the Gt350 R All the other dealers follow. Soon every single GT350 R for sale is marked up and unattainable for guys like me that cant afford $85k+. Not only that but usually it ends up being someone from out of state buying it with deep pockets and the local people get screwed out of owning one.

In economics this is called a 'market' - supply and demand.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
In economics this is called a 'market' - supply and demand.
While this is true, however if the market should dictate the price of these cars, then why advertise it with word like "$60k sports car" or "best bang for buck". The car is targeted towards the average driver on a budget, not the fat wallet that has multiple porsches. Both my cars, I had to wait a couple of years before I could get them at or below MSRP. Ford just needs to sell these directly to consumers and cut out the middle man.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
While this is true, however if the market should dictate the price of these cars, then why advertise it with word like "$60k sports car" or "best bang for buck". The car is targeted towards the average driver on a budget, not the fat wallet that has multiple porsches. Both my cars, I had to wait a couple of years before I could get them at or below MSRP. Ford just needs to sell these directly to consumers and cut out the middle man.
I wish Ford would do that with Fiestas too.

Users who are viewing this thread