When do you think 2013 GT500 inventory will improve?

SVTKen

Established Member
I'm a new member here and have been researching and learning more about the GT500 here every day. I've been searching and having lots of difficulty finding one with the options I want. I've used all the search sites like cars.com, autotrader, autonation, etc, and there are very few to choose from. I've also used the Ford and midatlantic ford search engines. I've even checked on e-Bay many times too, and all of them have a bunch of expensive options that I don't want or are not in my favorite colors. On top of that, every dealer (in a 50 mile radius) I've checked with wants at least 5-10K over MSRP, which seems completely rediculous to me. I even saw one local dealer that has a $20K ADM on their GT500. Loaded up the way they are, that means basically close to $80K out the door for a Mustang ($90K with the $20K ADM), and there is no way I will pay that kind of price. The MSRP on the car optioned the way I want it is less than $60K!

When do you think dealers will have some of these cars in stock? Will things improve by November or December? I read on here a while ago that Ford will build as many of these cars as people will buy. The problem is that if dealers add $5-$10K ADMs to them, some people will not buy at all, and this isn't good for Ford, and it's really bad for the customer.

I've read the discussion regarding how not to pay an ADM, but it seems like now is a really bad time to be looking for a 2013 GT500. A dealer about 40 miles from me has a used 2013 with 2000 miles on it and they want $3000 over the original MSRP! This really turns me off and I'm not even going to try to negotiate with a starting point that high. When will I be in a better position to find one, or will I have to order one?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate all the information at this site.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
What are you looking for with options?

Most dealers will order the car completely loaded out.

I can't imagine there are many unused allocations out there- but based on your MSRP consideration (under $60k) it sounds like you need to order yours- and possibly even have to wait for a '14

Planeswalker

Established Member
Like Chris! Said, every dealer out there is going to order them loaded when ordering for their inventory. If you want to get one without special order then you will have to get 1 or 2 options you may not want.

willfong

Established Member
I feel you will have to defiantely begin to look outside your your 50 mile searches so far and start to get a comfortable phone to use. The search will be tedious and frustrating to find a 2013 GT500 in stock at MSRP but they maybe out there (Less so now this late in the game on a 2013 GT500). And half of the salespeople that pick up the phone are clueless as to even what a GT500 is and what their allocations are.

Back in May of this year I call 3 dozen dealerships in/near major cities in Cali, Portland area, Seattle area, and a few in the NY/NJ area - I only found 2 willing to order one for me at MSRP. My local Ford dealer did have a Grabber Blue GT500 arrive as a stock for sale car in July after I had left my deposit for an order - they wanted 10K over MSRP. The dealer sold that car within a week and change.
The first outside of Seattle dealer initially was going to order one the way I wanted it - Grabber Blue w/ stripes and fully loaded minus the glass roof. We were getting the order together for a few days and then the salesperson had to get the final ok from the owner. He declined to take my order because of the color - the owner deemed it too risky to order in case I flaked on the deal after the order went in even with a deposit. The owner did not want to get stuck with anything except what he consider a safe color - Black or Gray - in case I flaked on them and they had to sell it. The second dealer is outside of San Fran and at MSRP they were willing to take my order with a $5K non-refundable deposit. The sales person said I was the second customer order they accepted. 1 week after I left the deposit and order was placed they said any new order for their remaining allocations was going to have a $5K-$10k mark up - this was first week of June. And they have been useless since accepting my deposit and giving me a copy of the DORA. No updates, no courtesy check-ins and not much courtesy even when I called or emailed for updates. Since July I have been calling SVT or Ford customer service for updates and emailing Deysha.
I would highly recommend using/contacting some of the members here who are sales people at dealerships or have good salespeople they can recommend. Just be ready to deal out of state. You can sometimes have a car delivered and courtesy accepted by a closer Ford dealer to you for a fee or you can pay for a transporter to pick up/deliver to you. Or the best option - drive that baby home - as what I am doing - San Fran to NYC road trip! Well hopefully before its freaking Christmas time - gift to myself and I can't drive it in the winter..

If you want to wait a bit you may want to consider finding a dealer in the new year that has his/her allocations available and if the dealer is willing to order you a GT500 from his 2014 allocations then go for it. Likely the earliest you would see a 2014 GT500 rolling into a dealership would late spring of 2013 (that is if you place your order once the dealer can enter it into the Ford order banks likely in Feb/March).

Hope my experience so far has given you some guidance and definately keep on reading this forum. Members are mature and a great help.

Best ot luck.
Will

Last edited:

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I used ford.com, edmunds, then I searched ford dealers by zip code and probably emailed direct over a hundred dealers with my option choices. It is probably way tougher now than it was back in mid July but I found several cars one at 1200 under msrp but did not want red so I ordered from a dealer near me for MSRP. I had to work hard and fast but got it done. I found several inbound cars that I could have gotten quicker but for this money I wanted the exact car of our dreams lol so build date of today and eta est. of 21 October. If you want one work hard work fast maybe you will get lucky. and good luck!

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
You can limit your dealer search to those enrolled in the SVT program:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/dealer_locators/default.asp

Specialty Services (Optional) = SVT

The problem with this approach is that any dealer that pays the GT500 fee is allowed to sell a GT500. The $2000 fee entitles the dealer to one 2013 and one 2014 allocation.
Not to mention the dealers that have bought allocations from other dealers.
But, when it comes to locating one of these cars, any tool is a good tool.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Agreed, my thought was to start with the dealers that purchased the allocations.

Also, I just came across the following link that implies that 2014 production will start Jan 14th:

Ford Cars: Build-out and Start-Up Dates

Interesting link. If the dates hold true, it would make it a lot easier to decide between a 2013 and a 2014 .

Build-outandStart-UpDates.gif

Last edited:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Interesting link. If the dates hold true, it would making a decision between a 2013 and a 2014 a lot easier.

Build-outandStart-UpDates.gif

Yes, I can confirm this is the latest info. Ford changed their mind again. They have really been pumping cars out of the plant for the last several weeks. The shipping lot is the fullest it has been in years, and they are shipping more 'stangs everyday than they have in at least 2 years. GT500 production is now at 37 per day AVG.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Yes, I can confirm this is the latest info. Ford changed their mind again. They have really been pumping cars out of the plant for the last several weeks. The shipping lot is the fullest it has been in years, and they are shipping more 'stangs everyday than they have in at least 2 years. GT500 production is now at 37 per day AVG.

Pushing hard until shut down I presume?

reason4treason

Established Member
any idea if railcar availability has been increased at all?

about the OP's search, a couple days ago somebody made the point that if you have to search on and on and on, work with a dealer a long way away, travel, take time off from work, put miles on the car...a grand or two over MSRP might not at all be so bad, all things considered, if you have a sure car that you're happy with, that's close to home.

i do think demand will wane somewhat during winter, but so will production it seems. might be 6 of one, half-dozen of another.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Yes, plant will shutdown thanksgiving week and most of December.

Rail car availability has improved. We were shipping 12 Railcars per day, we are now doing 16, on average.

Bad Company

Established Member
I'm a new member here and have been researching and learning more about the GT500 here every day. I've been searching and having lots of difficulty finding one with the options I want. I've used all the search sites like cars.com, autotrader, autonation, etc, and there are very few to choose from. I've also used the Ford and midatlantic ford search engines. I've even checked on e-Bay many times too, and all of them have a bunch of expensive options that I don't want or are not in my favorite colors. On top of that, every dealer (in a 50 mile radius) I've checked with wants at least 5-10K over MSRP, which seems completely rediculous to me. I even saw one local dealer that has a $20K ADM on their GT500. Loaded up the way they are, that means basically close to $80K out the door for a Mustang ($90K with the $20K ADM), and there is no way I will pay that kind of price. The MSRP on the car optioned the way I want it is less than $60K!

When do you think dealers will have some of these cars in stock? Will things improve by November or December? I read on here a while ago that Ford will build as many of these cars as people will buy. The problem is that if dealers add $5-$10K ADMs to them, some people will not buy at all, and this isn't good for Ford, and it's really bad for the customer.

I've read the discussion regarding how not to pay an ADM, but it seems like now is a really bad time to be looking for a 2013 GT500. A dealer about 40 miles from me has a used 2013 with 2000 miles on it and they want $3000 over the original MSRP! This really turns me off and I'm not even going to try to negotiate with a starting point that high. When will I be in a better position to find one, or will I have to order one?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate all the information at this site.
I noticed in your profile that you live in Maryland. I live in the Washington DC region and searched many of the Ford dealers in MD, VA, WV, and NC trying to locate a car in July. I can tell you now that most of the small dealers with an allocation to sell a GT500 have either sold the cars and can't get another until the 2014 model year is introduced or have a minimum of $5000 added to MSRP. Any of the larger dealers in the Washington/Baltimore region with a car in inventory want at least $5000 to as much as $20,000 above MSRP. If the larger dealers do have an allocation left in this region, it will be a minimum of $5000 above MSRP to order the car.

If you want a car than you'll need to plan on traveling some distance from the Washington/Baltimore area to get one at MSRP. I didn't try any dealers in Ohio when I was searching. I actually found a car in Texas and bought it at MSRP. You can try David Self Ford in Orange TX. The salesman said that I bought their first allocation that they had between the two dealerships that David Self owned and that they had a few allocation spots left to be able to order more GT500s for this year yet, but this was back in July. Talk to Zac Wilmore

Photonut

Established Member
My opinion is that you're not going to see many 2013's sitting unsold at MSRP, and I don't think that's going to get any better. I believe the vast majority of 2013's being built are already pre-sold, or are being built by a dealer with the intention of holding out for 10-20k ADM. ("Additional Dealer Markup" == bonus profit)

That's based on the fact that I've been looking daily since June, and the only unsold cars I've seen are either the fully loaded+10K+ADM cars, or the rare buyer-backed-out car that only goes unsold for a day or two, and is usually not equipped with the options you want.

Also based on the later information in this thread, with Ford only having about 6-7 weeks more production of 2013's, that means there are a whole bunch of currently placed 2013 orders that aren't going to get built. With Herculean effort, they might make another 1000 or so. They have well more than than in the "unscheduled" state waiting for a VIN and build date.

And sadly, I imagine mine is among them, since I still don't have a VIN or a build date. (Arrrgh - this SVT ordering process is impenetrable and insane!)

Good luck to you,

-Photonut

HansHeinen

SHELBYS ARE ME
Established Member

Great news Iceman5000! My build date is Oct22 and I have my VIN. From what you say the car may be out of there faster due to cars not sitting in the rail yard. That is a fear of mine from what everyone says about the "AREA51" and sitting for weeks. Hopefully they aren't building them too fast and are still producing quality.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
give this guy a shout might not be any good anymore but he was great to deal with and had I not found my car 18 miles from home I was headed to Atlanta it is a family owned dealership and they were real straight for sure.

[email protected]

Brad McDevitt
John Bleakley Ford
Internet Sales Manager
(770) 941-9000
Internet sales team

Users who are viewing this thread