When are long tube headers worth it?

RI GT500

Established Member
I have an 07 with a VMP etc etc and it makes 700 rwhp . I'm going to pull it out this winter and do pistons , rods , oil pump. I'm thinking this is the time to do long tubes ( it has shorties now , it came with them ) is it worth the expense in the 700-800 range ?

merkyworks

Established Member
Running 17psi and not quite your power level and I'm having long tubes put on. General consensus is our motors flow a lot of air to begin with and back pressure becomes an issue pretty quickly, on top of that cylinder pressures are definitely high enough at these boost levels that getting long tubes not only helps things flow better but they also make the engine safer.

1st usa car

Established Member
Do you have an off road pipe w/ those shorties?? IF not, probably best to just add some and use the rest of your money getting cams -- you are alreading tearing into the motor -- going to get ALOT more benefit from cams than upgrading to LT-headers.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have a full 3" with hi-flow cats behind my FRPP shorty's and definitely noticed a difference in the engine response after the full 3" install.

R

RI GT500

Established Member
Yes I have an off road X, for some reason I wasn't thinking cams.

RBB

Established Member
I think it's worth it at your level. Pick up some power, drop some boost, and they sound great. Also, if you're dropping the motor out the bottom, then now is the time to install them. It's a hell of a lot harder with the engine in the car.

RI GT500

Established Member
You guys and my buddies talked me into cams as well lol ok next question ... who's cams ? Any personal experience with some on the dyno?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The JDM Super Stock cams seem like a great set. Plus, they come with upgraded valve springs.

nxhappy

Established Member
instead if the headers, I would set up for e85

Users who are viewing this thread