when accelerating...

Burnt Rice

Established Member
So I whent to test drive a Lighting about an hour ago and im most likely going to buy it but had some concerns...when I floored it at first the truck kind of hesitated and made sort of a whoosh sound followed by the blower whine. Is this normal? Or am I just paranoid? Its a '99 with 65K miles so it most likely needs some work done im guessing. It also seemed to misfire at idle...possibly that it had the wrong octane gas? Or bad plugs? I think im going to take another look at it and decide...they only want 12K for it so it seems like a good deal anyhow.

Thanks for the help guys!

M.O.E

Screw head
Established Member
So I whent to test drive a Lighting about an hour ago and im most likely going to buy it but had some concerns...when I floored it at first the truck kind of hesitated and made sort of a whoosh sound followed by the blower whine. Is this normal? Or am I just paranoid? Its a '99 with 65K miles so it most likely needs some work done im guessing. It also seemed to misfire at idle...possibly that it had the wrong octane gas? Or bad plugs? I think im going to take another look at it and decide...they only want 12K for it so it seems like a good deal anyhow.

Thanks for the help guys!

When i test drove my L it had a missfire.. and it turned out it needed a new motor. It takes nothing for these motors to blow.

Tavenner13

Sell me your L
Established Member
If you don't trust the dealership, take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Yes take it to a mechanic then tell the dealer if he will make the appropriate changes you'll take it :) (he probably won't but its worth a shot)

sb306

Established Member
If you don't trust the dealership, take it to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over.
+1. The missfire could be caused by any number of things. Although octane wouldn't make any difference at idle. These motors run a low compression. The only time the premium fuel has any benefits is under boost/load. (which will probably be most of the time) lol

uncooked

Established Member
Could also be belt slip maybe? If the belt is old and worn it doesn't take much and it will slip, more so on a blast of throttle like you describe.

Good luck hopefully its something simple like a belt or fuel filter and you get a good deal ! :rolling:

Burnt Rice

Established Member
Thanks alot for the help guys! The dealer seems to be good, its a volvo dealer and the owner has many dealers. It might be belt slip now that I think about it. When I floor it the belt slips and im guessing that would cause the "whoosh". Thanks for that Uncooked!

uncooked

Established Member
Yea no problem, i had a belt problem and it did the same thing you describe.

I could hear it mostly though if i let off at high rpms in a low gear, i could hear the belt slipping making a awful rubber on rubber squeel as it started to get grib again.

Users who are viewing this thread