Wheels/Tires or Go Fast?

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
I'm trying to get everything priced out. I can pick up the set of wheels I want and tires and everything shipped to my door (less balancing) for $1563.61. I could even get that double-din navigation setup I've had my eye on with this and still be nearly a grand less than the Whipple kit...

Wheels (In silver...Not chrome. Signature shows a Photoshopped look of what the 20s would probably look like. Currently running the same wheel but in an 18" size.)
Factory Reproductions

Tires (Does anyone have any experience with the Falken Ziex S/TZ01 tires? I've never bought Falkens before, so any kind of input will be greatly appreciated. At the price they are given at, they are hard to pass up!)

tires-easy.com - Details: Falken Ziex S/TZ01 295/40 R20 106W

OR...Get a brand new Whipple 2.3 kit with tune and all ready to go shipped to my door for $2700.00

I'm in a tough spot since the Whipple kit is insanely cheap and I would have probably eventually gone to one way later on (well way later on would have been the plan at least), or get a set of 20s to finish up the looks on the truck that I have been looking for. Keep in mind I will more than likely just keep on daily driving the Lightning with it about to roll over 102K (damn!). It is also a 2000, so if the Whipple up's the boost some, I run the risk of popping some plugs. As much as I want the Whipple, I really think going with the wheels would be the best option since I never race my truck or anything...The Whipple would probably be more of a "cool" factor to have for the time being.

Anyway, I just figured I would try and get some more "educated" opinions from fellow Lightning'ers!
-Tyler

Last edited:

MJG

Established Member
I think the 20s would do well. I had the 20s previously with Falken Ziex 295/40/20. Tires look good and aren't too bad.
As I said on the other site, keep in mind going that size your truck will come off the ground an extra 3/4" compared to the 18s.
Are the silver 20s available? last I heard the chromies were gone for now.
BTW I would suggest getting a 1/4" spacer for the rear to bring them out some since they are 9" rim.

Users who are viewing this thread