Wheels stick out???

JohnsMyName

Established Member
I recently baught new 95R wheels and nitto 555's 275-40 out back and 255-40 up front. Today I waxed my car and realized the front tires stick out way more than the rears and it looks kinda funny. I'm also worried about rocks and road debry ect... not to mention muddy puddles. Whats goin on here?

I will try to post pics but my camera has gremlins at the moment.

Blk95Cobra

Established Member
if you got the real Rs then they are 17 x 9 and yes the fronts come about flush and the rears are in a little ways. I think you can get a 3/4 " or 1 " spacer for the rears to bring them out of you like but i am no totally sure on the spacer size. Someone else that has this done might chime in so dont take my word for it.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The 94-98 Mustangs had a 3/4" wider track in the front verses the rear. The only rims that really fill up the entire rear are 10.5". A 9" rim will fill it up with a 1" spacer on each side, but be sure to get good ones from MM or Eibach that have the studs incorporated in them.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
It is normal for the fronts to come out flush, and the rears are the same width its just the the body is wider in the rear.

JohnsMyName

Established Member
Yeah they are real R's, the R-58's. I measured from outside to outside of the tires and the rear is a whole half inch skinier. This is normal? Im afaid with even 3/4'' spacer the 9'' wide rims will stick out too much in the rear.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
IIRC Ciotti has R58 Cobra Rs with 275s all around and uses a 1 inch spacer in the rear. Looks real good. He just needs to lower it, hehehe. :D :beer:

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
I had cheap aftermarket cobra R's 17x9 all 'round on the 96 GT for a while. The wheel rim stuck out just over 1/4" in the front. With the 275/40's squeezed onto those rims on the front the entire package was exactly 1/2" out ov the well.

Ov course, the rears were inside the well by almost 1 1/2". It would've needed a TWO inch (yes, TWO inch) spacer/hub-adapter to look right. Dont know who made that specific rim though.

We just got new 'OE' (E-bay) 18x9/18x10 Black Bullits for the GT with 275/295 KDW 2's. The fronts STILL stick out at least 1/4" and the back (which the manufacturer INSISTED INSISTED INSISTED would be FLUSH with the quarter opening) are inside the well a whole INCH. So, after buying brand new DD Bullits to fix this aesthetic issue, we still have to buy bloody hub-adapters (too big a gap for a spacer) to make it look right. If the rims were 10.5", they'd STILL be well inside the quarters. I ass-u-me that this is an 'OE' brand issue, as pictures ov AFS rims on SN95's seem to be flush in the rear.

This is the girlfriend's car, they're the rims she wanted. When i get MY Cobra, its custom rims with custom offset, that way i KNOW it'll look right.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
There IS an upside to this though...

I did measure the 18x10" rims myself when they came, they were exactly 10" where they are supposed to be, no goof there. So, seeing that our 10" rims could use another 1 1/4" to perfectly match the fronts, this means i can fit an 11-11.5" rim back there no problem. There's at least 1/4" clearance to the closest spot on the inside, and no rub marks, despite my daily Mad Max impressions...

On OUR car at least. This can mean only one thing... MORE MEAT!!!

Your results may vary.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
JohnsMyName said:
Yeah they are real R's, the R-58's. I measured from outside to outside of the tires and the rear is a whole half inch skinier. This is normal? Im afaid with even 3/4'' spacer the 9'' wide rims will stick out too much in the rear.

Sorry to post this picture again guys, but it gives a comparision view of how the original 95R looks with those 95R/R58 wheels. The rear is much more "set-in" and the front comes out to the edge of the fender.<<<This is with the original 255/45's, if this car were to have 275's the front tires would come out too far. That is why I ended up using repro. 9's on the front w/255/45's and a 10.5 on the rear and a 285/40's. This keeps the same look on the front and fills the rear a little more, but not too much. I am not much into spacers, if I want to fill a rear tirewell a little more, I want the tire to do that.>>>Downside - no tire rotation............

small2.gif

R

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
For the record, it angers me that I just tried to set this
LohanBoobs.gif
as my avatar but it won't let me as the file is too big.

95 Cobra R's with 275's need 1" spacers out back and they'll look as flush with the body out back as they do up front...

Before the 1" spacers...
Before.jpg

And after...
After.jpg

DeathEater.jpg

haz-matt

Established Member
Thats the one thing I hate about our cars, it makes the whole car ugly to have the rear wheels set in and the fronts where they are supposed to be. Ive got a 96 cobra with stock 98 wheels 17x8 with maximum motorsport 1 1/8" spacers and nitto 275s and they are perfectly flush with the fenders. Id be embarrassed to drive my car without the spacers.
31.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
I dont really like the way 9in rims have that 1/4 in stick out in the front on our cars. They look good on 99+ stangs but not on ours. I have 17x9's all around and want 8s up front.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
JohnsMyName said:
Ciotti do you have any issues with rocks mudd ect getting flung up at your car in either the front or rear?

Mud, yes it does fling up all over the dam place but I only drive through mud a few times a year so it's no problem. Rocks, no problem at all yet, it's only been a little over a year though.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
WhiteDevil said:
I dont really like the way 9in rims have that 1/4 in stick out in the front on our cars. They look good on 99+ stangs but not on ours. I have 17x9's all around and want 8s up front.

I guess since the 95R's have that aggressive front suspension set-up, where the tires are actually tilted in at the top and out at the bottom, the 9's work out well. They are "even", or maybe slightly in from the fender lip on the front, so they don't give a "sticking-out" look.

R

Last edited:

Karnick_GT

Working on my tan...
Established Member
Ciotti said:
Mud, yes it does fling up all over the dam place but I only drive through mud a few times a year so it's no problem. Rocks, no problem at all yet, it's only been a little over a year though.

thats because he goes four wheeling... ya need to lower that 4x4!!!

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
we all need to start a "ciotti de 4x4'ing" fund. Lower that expedition ASAP!!

also, an easy way to solve the rear problem is just buy some 10" wide or larger rear wheels....

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
we all need to start a "ciotti de 4x4'ing" fund. Lower that expedition ASAP!!

also, an easy way to solve the rear problem is just buy some 10" wide or larger rear wheels....

Read my post! If you stick with 10's, be careful who you buy them from. Not all DD wheels solve this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread